Best movie by genre WESTERN/COWBOY

Fiach

There's so many to choose from, you could make a whole top ten with John Wayne movies for example.

I'm going to go with what I would recommend to somebody who wasn't familiar with westerns, one that would tick all the boxes..

Silverado, with Kevin Costner and Brian Dennehy , Scott Glenn, Danny Glover. John Fleece.

It has so many traits, gathering a group together (like Magnificent Seven), range war, wagon train, kidnapping (like in Big Jake), corrupt Sherrie but it also has some great humour permeating it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090022/

• Like 1

Thanks for shopping Pawn-O-Matic!

Silverado???? No way.

Let's see...top 10 in no particular order:

True Grit, the 2012 version. (Sorry Duke, that movie was better because it followed the book, yours didn't.)

The Outlaw Josey Wales (this would be my pick for #1)

The Shootist (tied with The Searchers as John Waynes best western)

The Searchers

Unforgiven

Dances With Wolves (the only place you'll hear one of the old Lakota languages on screen)

The Revenant (Western, yes. But not Cowboy. It predates the "old west" era")

Jeremiah Johnson (Based on a true story, this would be my #2 pick)

3:10 to Yuma (Both versions are good)

El Dorado

Honorable Mention goes to:

The Sons of Katie Elder

Hell on Wheels (the series)

Pale Rider (weird but pretty good)

A Fist Full of Dollars

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

What I would love to see is a movie that does good service to The Lincoln County War. Young Guns covered that but it was highly fictionalized and like Hurlshot said, it hasn't aged well.

I'd also love to see a movie about the fight for the Powder River Country. What history calls Red Cloud's War. He was a very interesting man. Henry Carrington, the commander of Fort Phil Kearney was also an interesting guy. Red Cloud's complete opposite in every way. I think that would be a compelling movie if done right.

The Border War between Kansas and Missouri has never gotten a look. The Outlaw Josey Wales started at the end but no other movie has touched it that I know of.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Silverado???? No way.

Let's see...top 10 in no particular order:

True Grit, the 2012 version. (Sorry Duke, that movie was better because it followed the book, yours didn't.)

The Outlaw Josey Wales (this would be my pick for #1)

The Shootist (tied with The Searchers as John Waynes best western)

The Searchers

Unforgiven

Dances With Wolves (the only place you'll hear one of the old Lakota languages on screen)

The Revenant (Western, yes. But not Cowboy. It predates the "old west" era")

Jeremiah Johnson (Based on a true story, this would be my #2 pick)

3:10 to Yuma (Both versions are good)

El Dorado

Honorable Mention goes to:

The Sons of Katie Elder

Hell on Wheels (the series)

Pale Rider (weird but pretty good)

A Fist Full of Dollars

nice list.  ours would have much in common, but would definite include high noon and the wild bunch.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Great to see so many John Wayne fans! :)

Yes, there are many movies much better than Silverado and I totally agree with everybody's list...even Deadwood, of which I have the boxset, been a McShane fan since Lovejoy! :)

But I did choose Silverado very subjectively :)

We should have a sub thread for best John Wayne movie! :)

Edited by Fiach

Thanks for shopping Pawn-O-Matic!

High Plains Drifter.  If for nothing else than pissing John Wayne off.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Great to see so many John Wayne fans! :)

Yes, there are many movies much better than Silverado and I totally agree with everybody's list...even Deadwood, of which I have the boxset, been a McShane fan since Lovejoy! :)

But I did choose Silverado very subjectively :)

We should have a sub thread for best John Wayne movie! :)

I think Wayne's best movie wasn't a western. It was The Longest Day. I don't think we was the top star in that. Sean Connery was IIRC. 

Thomas Sowell

Back to the Future 3.

"Everyone will say Clint Eastwood is the biggest coward in the west"

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

My top 10:

El Topo (Alejandro Jodorowsky, 1970)

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (Andrew Dominik, 2007)

Bring Me the Head of Alfredo García (Sam Peckinpah, 1974)

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (John Ford, 1962)

The Wild Bunch (Sam Peckinpah, 1969)

Let's Go with Pancho Villa! (Fernando de Fuentes, 1936)

Meek's Cutoff (Kelly Reichardt, 2010)

Stagecoach (John Ford, 1939)

McCabe & Mrs. Miller (Robert Altman, 1971)

The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada (Tommy Lee Jones, 2005)

HMs to The Ox-Bow Incident (William A. Wellman, 1943), The Proposition (John Hillcoat, 2005) and Once Upon a Time in the West (Sergio Leone, 1968).

Edited by algroth

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

Silverado is one of my fave films. It's just fun.

Others for me:

Open Range

Pale Rider

The Good, The Bad, The Weird (S. Korea)

Lonesome Dove tv series

High Noon

I suppose not technically a true Western but still feels like one: Outlaw Josey Wales

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts