Shattered Pill

No it's not bad for soloing, speciall when u stun all enemies, as a normal monk u cannot get wounds. 

In Poe1 I got max wounds at combat start immediately a lot, also remember we're talking about a cipher MC here, so if the enemies are stunned and all your wounds are spent, you can use powers.

Then there's stunning blow and it's upgrade to refund on crit. ;)

Edited by Raven Darkholme

Streethfighter/Begulier or Soul Blade seems nice for solo damage spike. Spamming Phatom Foes (to get enemies "Flanked") and Mind Afflicted powers will allow you to get full advatage of crazy damage bonuses that Streetfighter has:

"Bonus: -50% Recovery time +50% Damage against Flanked, Mind Afflicted or Body Afflicted targets, when the street fighter is Flanked or Bloodied. +100% Weapon Crit damage when the Streetfighter is both Flanked and Bloodied"

So you can get crazy -50% Recovery, 50% Damage and 100% Weapon Crit damage.

StreetFighter/Berserker also seems great on paper. Huge damage bonuses when outnumbered (so pretty much always on solo) + Carnage and it can be good too.

Edited by Voltron

Since I can only stand here on the jetty and gaze longingly at those marvelous beta ships whisking across the bay I'd just like to beg a crumb of information:

With all the changes happening thus far has anyone tried out a Monk (Shattered Pillar) / Cipher (Soulblade) multiclass thus far, and:

1. How does it play, would I be better off going straight Monk (Shattered Pillar) or Cipher (Soulblade)

2. If I replaced Shattered Pillar with Helwalker, would it... work better?

3. Between this and a Druid (Shifter) / Monk (Helwalker) which I hear is also mucho synergistic, which one would you pick

4. Good races for any of the combos I mentioned?

Thank yee all so very kindly for the answers!

prototype00

I've used a Shattered Pillar/ Soul Blade and a few other Shattered Pillars like pure class, mixed with Devoted, mixed with Paladin (both Gold Pact and Bleak Walker) and mixed with Berserker.

Now that fist damage is fixed (it used to lose out Transcendent after a save load) Fists are the king of auto attack DPS. They have more base damage than slow one handers like swords and battle axes and the attack speed of fast weapons like rapiers and daggers. Power level also directly increases your penetration, accuracy and damage. Bottom line fists are great and you want as high a power level as you can get.

So based on the above you'd want to use a Nature Godlike for the wellspring which gets you +2 power level and can be activated by Swift Strikes and Thunderous Blows so it'll be active pretty much all the time. This gets you +15% damage, +1 penetration and +4 accuracy, all of which is way better than any hat + racial.

A pure class will have more abilities, more power levels, access to high level abilities and faster access to abilities. Getting an extra ability pick every time you gain a power level is really really nice. Just due to power levels a pure monk will gain +1 penetration, +4 accuracy and +15% damage for free. I would not make a pure Cipher, especially a Soul Blade, the synergy that they gain from multiclassing with a melee type is just too great. Even blending a wizard for the instant buffs, illusion spells and summoned weapons or a priest with summoned weapons would work really good and be better than a pure Cipher.

Your shattered Pillar/Soul Blade gets +40% damage from whip at the cost of one ability, and can get +1 penetration from the Cipher passive for one ability. So two ability picks puts you at +25% damage, equal penetration and -4 accuracy compared to a pure monk who will be two power levels ahead. So auto attacking wise its better for the Soul Blade mix depending on the value of two abilities.

If you keep the cipher abilities low, only taking the really good ones and only when the game forces you to pick one (when you gain a power level) you can get some of the monk abilities but you will not have enough to take all that you'd like. Just dumping all your accrued focus into soul annihilation rather than using cipher powers will put out a lot of damage

A pure monk will be the better monk by far. If you want to use lots of monk abilities and passives going pure is a good choice. If you want instead a few Cipher abilities to add some unique stuff to a monk a soul blade is a good choice.

It comes down to playstyle, from a mechanical standpoint both are good.

I much prefer Shattered Pillar to any of the other Monks. Needing to take damage for wounds is not as good as needing to inflict damage for wounds. It's better to give than receive :)  To me a melee Helwalker who gets to taking an extra 50% damage just seems too glassy. Lots of ranged versions that use the Helwalker to fuel a massive spell assault from their other class but that doesn't fit my image of a monk. 

I don't have experience with druids and shifters, just don't like the playstyle.

For races a Nature Godlike adds a lot to a fist user. Other than the gimped island Aumaua (faster movement through surf and mud??? really ???) every race is pretty good so pick what you like.

PotD with party companions will be easy enough that you can make any class you like without min maxing and be successful.  So make what you find fun and interesting. Triple Crown Solo is a whole different game.

What attributes do you recommend for the pure monk build?

Streethfighter/Begulier or Soul Blade seems nice for solo damage spike. Spamming Phatom Foes (to get enemies "Flanked") and Mind Afflicted powers will allow you to get full advatage of crazy damage bonuses that Streetfighter has:

"Bonus: -50% Recovery time +50% Damage against Flanked, Mind Afflicted or Body Afflicted targets, when the street fighter is Flanked or Bloodied. +100% Weapon Crit damage when the Streetfighter is both Flanked and Bloodied"

Phantom Foes is foe-only, so you'd need to be Confused to use it on allies. (For example, Berserker-Cipher... unfortunately Serafen is limited to vanilla Barbarian.)

However, the Blunderbuss "Powder Burns" modal applies "Flanked" to the user.

On Berserker-Storm form: it's not good because the attacks are ranged and the bounces hit your own allies. 

Phantom Foes is foe-only, so you'd need to be Confused to use it on allies. (For example, Berserker-Cipher... unfortunately Serafen is limited to vanilla Barbarian.)

On Berserker-Storm form: it's not good because the attacks are ranged and the bounces hit your own allies. 

Um what? You want your enemies to be flanked unless descrption of Streetfighter is wrong. Read "-50% Recovery time +50% Damage against Flanked, Mind Afflicted or Body Afflicted targets". Against Flanked targets. So you get that 50% dmg bonus AGAINST flanked targets. Hence- Phantom Foes. Why would I want to flank my own allies?

Um what? You want your enemies to be flanked unless descrption of Streetfighter is wrong. Read "-50% Recovery time +50% Damage against Flanked, Mind Afflicted or Body Afflicted targets". Against Flanked targets. So you get that 50% dmg bonus AGAINST flanked targets. Hence- Phantom Foes. Why would I want to flank my own allies?

Streetfighter gets bonuses to Sneak Attack and recovery time when Flanked or Bloodied, and bonus crit damage when both Flanked and Blooded. 

But Sneak Attack applies to Flanked or Afflicted targets, which might be what's confusing you.

"Sneak Attack becomes more deadly and Recovery decreases when the street fighter is Flanked or Bloodied."

As a multiclass I made a ranger/paladin (wayfarer) who uses guns. I had dex really low, because i thought using rushed reload with high accuracy would be ok.

Edit: Having learned more about the game, dumping dex would be a pretty terrible idea. I guess a character with high int, perception and resolve is not so great like in Poe 1. :/

Edited by blackgate

• 2 weeks later...

If I'm building eder as a tank, would a swashbuckler be more efficient than single class fighter?

I really like the Escape ability. A tank is all about locking down a group of enemies, but that also results in the tank being multiply locked down. Occasionally, I want to reposition the tank, or I really, really want to have him knock down a caster who may be about to cause a lot of trouble, and Escape lets him do that without being locked down. It also lets him close the gap early on to start tanking at a back-liner. Riposte is also cool. So I think you gain more on the Rogue side than you lose on the Fighter side.

Shattered Pill

Looking for strong solo powerbuilds. I don't like micro party and prefer to play solo first time (those are not IRON solo builds!). Theorycrafting I was thinking about those (many include Streetfighter as I think playing solo you will benefit most from his bonuses + escape):

Streetfighter/Beguiler - using Phatom Foes and being flanked all the time (since you solo) will give you massive bonuses to damage and focus against targets.

Berserker or Devoted/Skald - obviously for offensive pharases and crits.

Berserker/Soul Blade - for damage.

Streetfighter/Berserker - can work too, but berserker self damage might be too problematic. 

Streetfighter/Skald - hm, could be nice with paralyze phrase.

Streethfighter/Shattered Pillar or Devoted - for classic melee high damage.

Shattered Pillar/Soul Blade - seems there is synergy here for good damage.

Ascendant/Berserker or Devoted or Shattered Pillar - I see great synergy here when you reach ascendant, especially with Berserker Carnage/Monk Reach or Devoted crit bonuses. More clicking and micro but I don't mind. I didn't include Shattered/Berserker combo as their actives (attack speed) sadly don't stack. Maybe mods will make it work.

What do you think about those? 

Shattered Pillar is bad for solo.

A solo monk will walways get hit enough to build wounds, but shattered has a max wound threshold of 5 instead of 9(10?).

I'm personally torn between Soul Blade and Ascendant for cipher/monk, seems like Soul Blade is much stronger early game and the late game shouldn't be a problem either way, but still Ascendant sounds so nteresting in theory.

Im not sure i understand how ascendant works. he way i read it ontce you reah max focus you can just chain cast your cipher powers because they cost 0 focus. Is that correct? Seems really strong, whats the catch?

My main is a Warcaller (Fighter/Chanter)

I didn't take any subclasses (I should have taken at least Skald) but the character turned out to be a kind of a super versatile CC/Striker. The passive DoT chants are awesome and the paralyze blast is fantastic. I'm rolling with a Pollaxe, which gives him a bit of emergency tankability, and does good damage with good penetration. I don't think it's the best choice of two hander for optimization, but this cat thrives on versatility. He can sort of play any position on the team, which is really useful.

Number 2 is a Ravager (Corpse Eater Barbarian/Helwalker Monk)
Most of what I've seen is people going with shattered pillar for this M/C, but I wanted to go for the pure insanity of combining these two subclasses. As you can see, my main is a bit conservative so I wanted to just dip my taint in the volcano with this boi. He's fast as a blistered jesus lizard and he hits like a buick regal on the end of a stick. Corpse eater mitigates the damage he takes, slightly, and lets me throw bigger punchies more often. Haven't gotten too far with him and am pretty sure he is going to eventually just drop in every single encounter, but for now it's wild friggin' ride.

Number 3 I'm barely out of the intro with, but is a Hunter (Devoted/Stalker)
Basically I wanted to make a HEMA boi with cool doggo fren. Also if you're counting the pet as a part of the character's overall output/effectiveness then this guy is a goddamned woodchipper. I picked Devoted because I wanted to be swangin (pokin?) my Estoc with the utmost effectiveness and -10 accuracy ain't **** for a fighter/ranger once you get past like level 5 and you don't really need access to ranged before then. I picked stalker because of the buffs you get for being close to your fluffy pal. I picked a wolfboi because damage, they don't get in the way as much as lions, and I <3 doggos.

Edited by Lichschool