Hello, I'm new to this genre but I like to be efficient while playing from the first play-through, so I invoke the help from veteran advice. (As I don't have access to the beta and even if I had I'm a noob)

First off I favor aesthetics over gameplay in the sense that one of my dps is going to wield 2h greatsword no matter how op dual-wielding is and my tank is not gonna equip a hachet no matter how many deflection it provides. Imo I should be able to complete the game on PotD with any weapon I fancy.

The next thing are stats, from what I've seen people are dumping Intellect and Resolve in favor of Might/Perception/Dexterity (For Melee dps) and Constitution/Resolve in case of range dps. I think it is not necessary and the most I will dump are 1-2 points in Con and Res, with Might > Perception > Dexterity for melee dps with high accuracy and Perception > Might > Dexterity > Intellect For casters.

Now it's the turn of the party composition : 

1. Tank - My two options are either Golden Pact/Priest(Which priest idk I suppose the one with the better party buffs) and Golden Pact/Unbroken (To take advantage of the positioning                     from the fighter's charge and even more tankiness), I think the best option is the first, but I'm not too sure.

2. Striker/Offtank - This is more or less set in stone and it will be my PC, it will be Bleak/Devoted 2h Greatsword, with constant recovery + paladin tank aura (The Golden Pact can't have                                 auras so it will help my tank) + conqueror stance for single-target and cleaver for Aoe + FoD + +2 pen from talents and another 2 from devoted + high accuracy +                                       disciplined strikes. I think it is a solid choice with balance between tankiness and damage + I it will be cool af xD.

3. Range Striker - I thought of an Evoker although this is a bummer because I don't specially like the godlike but the nature one's passive is too good. On topic, my doubts with this one                                   is the weapon and if it should really be an Evoker, as I heard they nerfed the proc and conjuration magic is really good.

4. Range Control/Striker - For this one I had in mind either a pure Beguiler ,a Beguiler/Rogue or a Beguiler/Sharpshooter. In this case I don't care about the weapon, just the main                                                       accuracy for spells and maybe a weapon modal that reduces enemy's defenses. Also I don't want to be a godlike with this one, so that leaves Human and elf,                                             which one would be better?

5. Support -  I'm open here, I think the best choice is a Priest but I don't know how the buff stacking works so I need pointers for this spot.

Thank you in advance.

apparently paladins dont have negative drawbacks anymore so gold pact can have auras

Don't bleakwalker paladins have to act evil or else they get debuffs or did they change it? I like dps/tank bleakwalker but I don't want my PC to be an **** all the time.

You have to act (or talk) cruel and aggressive in order to get ranks in your favored dispositions which will improve your defenses.

If you choose diplomatic or benevolent you will gain ranks in those dispisitions at some point ant that will make your defenses weaker.

Everything else (stoic, passionate, honest, rational...) has no effect. So you can act/talk in a somewhat decent manner without getting a "debuff".

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Today I have tried Soulblade/Assassin with the Sabre/Pistol combo. It worked pretty damn well; shoot with pistol at range to generate focus up to a certain point (I aim for 50+ usually), reload (but do NOT fire), and go into melee and attack with Soul Annihilation, preferably while under the effects of invisibility. It's kind of unfortunate I'm already sold on single-classed Ascendant for my first playthrough, combat became really enjoyable with the aforementioned combo.

Edited by Alot

The Sharmat on Sensuki:

"It is not Baldur's Gate 3 he yearns to play. It is the experience of playing Baldur's Gate for the first time."

Today I have tried Soulblade/Assassin with the Sabre/Pistol combo. It worked pretty damn well; shoot with pistol at range to generate focus up to a certain point (I aim for 50+ usually), reload (but do NOT fire), and go into melee and attack with Soul Annihilation, preferably while under the effects of invisibility. It's kind of unfortunate I'm already sold on single-classed Ascendant for my first playthrough, combat became really enjoyable with the aforementioned combo.

Can you set the AI to do that (not go into melee until after you've reloaded, but without firing) or does it have to be carefully micromanaged?

Can you set the AI to do that (not go into melee until after you've reloaded, but without firing) or does it have to be carefully micromanaged?

Unless Obsidian alters the way reloading works when dual-wielding you'd have to carefully micromanage the character; I couldn't find any behaviour conditional related to reloading.

Edited by Alot

The Sharmat on Sensuki:

"It is not Baldur's Gate 3 he yearns to play. It is the experience of playing Baldur's Gate for the first time."

As someone with no beta access, I am torn between soulblade/assassin and soulblade/devoted for my first playthrough.

The assassin would probably use sabres and the devoted would use a greatsword.

Which one you guys think is better and/or more fun?

As someone with no beta access, I am torn between soulblade/assassin and soulblade/devoted for my first playthrough.

The assassin would probably use sabres and the devoted would use a greatsword.

Which one you guys think is better and/or more fun?

I don't have the beta either but based on my pillars 1 experience and everything I've learned from reading up about Deadfire, if you want to be able to stand the front line and offtank, pick a Fighter (constant recovery, better deflection). If you want better AoE potential pick a Fighter (Cleave stance). If you want better single target dps potential, more micromanagement (going invisible, repositioning to take out soft enemy targets and cloaking out), pick a Rogue.

I don't think either one is strictly "better", and fun is subjective. Just think about what you want to do. I for one enjoy micromanaging my entire party so I won't pick a MC with too much micromanagement involved. I also plan on playing PotD so I won't pick any squishy melee classes in my party.

I'm going assassin/soulblade even if it's made of paper cause i just love the concept, think i'll tune down from veteran to normal if i see it's too hard, or maybe roll a tankier character... What's a bit sad is the weapon selection cause from what i reading, dual wielding sabre is flat out superior to pretty much anything else

I'm going assassin/soulblade even if it's made of paper cause i just love the concept, think i'll tune down from veteran to normal if i see it's too hard, or maybe roll a tankier character... What's a bit sad is the weapon selection cause from what i reading, dual wielding sabre is flat out superior to pretty much anything else

I wouldn't presume too much based on the beta evidence. Enemy armor ratings and unique weapon powers in the full game will determine which weapon types are 'best'. Also judging by Pillars 1 veteran difficulty, you should have no issue with a 'squishy' melee class. Just bring some good support (KW Pallegina, single class Priest/Druid, Chanter etc.) and you should be fine. If you feel too squishy just wear heavier armor. Cipher also gets some nice defensive powers (Body Attunement, Borrowed Instinct) as well as good disables, which should help.

I wouldn't presume too much based on the beta evidence. Enemy armor ratings and unique weapon powers in the full game will determine which weapon types are 'best'. Also judging by Pillars 1 veteran difficulty, you should have no issue with a 'squishy' melee class. Just bring some good support (KW Pallegina, single class Priest/Druid, Chanter etc.) and you should be fine. If you feel too squishy just wear heavier armor. Cipher also gets some nice defensive powers (Body Attunement, Borrowed Instinct) as well as good disables, which should help.

Plan is to have eder as tank, pallegina KW herald full support (lay on hand/ancient memory plus improved skeletons for extra crowd) and xoti and teheku single class priest/druid for some extra babysitting, but dunno if it will be enough for my glass cannon, i ll'let you know ;)

• Like 1

I haven't played anything (not in the beta), but one of the options I'm strongly considering for my first run next week is Shifter/Monk (probably Pillar). The fact that all monk abilities work while shifted is great, and the idea of being what is essentially a karate werewolf is pretty awesome.

Edited by Anoregon
  • Like 1

More efficient at tanking? Or what do you mean?

Well, by multiclassing into swashbuckler, he's going to be losing some survivability, so I'm just wondering if there are any rogue abilities that would benefit a tank and make up for the loss of hp in general.

Yes, Berath only.

Speaking of Berath, what do you think about a Devoted/Berath Cleric? I'd like to carry over your great Berath melee build we discussed in the PoE forums a while back.

Turns out its pretty awesome. If you want something more tanky I think a goldpact knight would also fit well.

Goldpact + Berath is indeed a good combo. FoD with +80% lash, with Eternal Devotions you'll even have +70% without spending Zeal. At the same time improved tankyness via Gilded Enmity.

Devoted/Berath might also be good. Great Swords can use some bonus PEN and the crit damage also doesn't hurt. I didn't try it myself though.

But a multiclass Priest will lack some nice sounding spells:

• PL 8 Dismissal
  • PL 8 Hand of Weal and Woe
  • PL 8 Crowns for the Faithful
  • PL 8 Spark the Souls of the Righteous
  • PL 9 Hand of Berath
  • PL 9 Berath Incarnate

​But at least Avatar is still available for multiclass at PL 7.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

One problem with greatsword is low penetration because 1) it has two damage type, which means it has only penetration of 6, 2) unlike one-hand sword, it doesn't have modal that increase penetration. Which result in 2h sword to have the worst penetration in the game. Ironically 2h sword in PoE 1 is good aganist high DR enemies because of how DR worked.

Edited by dunehunter

More efficient at tanking? Or what do you mean?

Well, by multiclassing into swashbuckler, he's going to be losing some survivability, so I'm just wondering if there are any rogue abilities that would benefit a tank and make up for the loss of hp in general.

Lots. Persistent distraction is great for a tank. Bonus engagement and passive perception debuff to everyone engaged. Riposte is also helpful for keeping attacks up, and blinding and hobbling people are useful as well.

Losing a point of health per level seems negligible at best. Though some of these abilities take a while to come online.

I haven't played anything (not in the beta), but one of the options I'm strongly considering for my first run next week is Shifter/Monk (probably Pillar). The fact that all monk abilities work while shifted is great, and the idea of being what is essentially a karate werewolf is pretty awesome.

I was thinking about doing this too, but it made me think.. will this mean that all weapons looted in the game will be pointless to the main character? since shifter primarily uses hands.

Edited by Hetmasteeen