I thought it would be nice to start a thread where we can share a sentence or two about multiclass combinations we've played with in the beta (good or bad) to give others an idea of how they work out.

Here's some of my favorites - I'll edit as I continue testing!

Mindstalker (Rogue/Cipher) - A+

You can use Cipher powers like Eyestrike or Phantom Foes on enemies to qualify for Sneak Attack, and Rogue's Escape to get out of harm's way after dealing massive damage.

Fanatic (Barbarian/Paladin) - A+

Leap into a pack of foes, Frenzy, and cleave them to pieces with Carnage while they try in vain to breach your defenses. Your Zealous modal of choice buffs any allies fighting alongside you, and you have Lay on Hands for emergency healing.

Swashbuckler (Fighter/Rogue) - A+

A surprisingly good tank with enough CON, but it's high risk, high reward. The more damage you take and the more enemies you have Engaged, the more damage you can dish out. Pair with a spellcaster who can help you qualify for Sneak Attack against mobs of enemies.

Stalker (Fighter/Ranger) - A+

With a tanky pet like a Bear or Antelope, this is a good frontline combo for locking down enemies in Engagement. Take defense buffs for yourself and your pet. Use Marked Prey against lone targets for extra damage. Into the Fray (or Wounding Shot if you keep a ranged weapon in your second set) can stall enemies that get around you.

• Like 3

Aloth massages his temples, shaking his head.

Played with:

Priest of Eothas/Fury Druid (Universalist) - lovely caster! Fury makes crazy damage (it cannot heal instead) and its electric spiritshift is good for range. (Ranged weapon)

Priest of Eothas/Kind Wayfarer Paladin (Templar) - more tank hybrid with defensive buffs from priest. A lot of healing and support. (Two handed style)

Priest of Eothas /Shattered Pillar Monk (Contemplative) - crazy DPS build!  Your wound limit is decreased but you are more enduring than Helwalker monk (huge DPS but death comes faster). (Two weapon style.)

Ghost Heart Ranger/Fighter (Hunter) - I think this is the best way to build ranger in melee. As you can summon animal as a ghost it is immune to engagement and have no penalty if it dies. And fighter is the best melee class for now (grazes, weapon styles, etc). Have wolf but bear is better. (Two weapon style)

Soulblade Cipher/ Transmuter wizard (Hierophant) - very good offensive build in melee. Soul Anihilation inflicts raw damage and it more easier to use it than cipher spells (focus too slow? Or bad penetration) Transmutation spells are good replacement for evocation school (which you cannot use). And you cannot use enchantment school so no buffing yourself. Good help for main melee characters.(Weapon and shield style).

Summoner chanter/ wizard (Loremaster) - ranged build focused on spamming summons. Wizard spells more defensive as your summons are weaker than usual but in greater number. 

Skald chanter/Lifegiver druid (Theurge) - ofensive build as skald needs to be in melee to cast invocations. Lifegiver druid is so-so as there is is small number of healing spells. Maybe high level druid is worth of it.

Shifter druid good for martial hybrid like fighter/monk/paladin.

• Like 2

Only listing builds with which I finished:

Unbroken/Wizard: ++ (VERY tanky and nice synergy with multi-engagement + Ryngrim's Visage, but tedious self-buffing although superfast casts - with a scripting tool that would take care of that buffing sequence it would be +++)

Assassin/Soul Blade: ++ (awesome offense but also very squishy)

Berserker/Skald: +++ (lots of crits and lots of PEN)

Berserker/Devoted: +++ (yay - 100% hit to crit and awesome PEN)

Devoted/Skald: +++ (like Berserker/Skald)

Priest of Wael/Sharpshooter: +++ (really good AoE damage with the summoned rod's modal + PEN of Sharpshooter)

Bleak Walker/Helwalker: +++ (awesome damage with FoD+Lightning Strikes + MIG with dual Scepter + modal - but kills himself quickly if you don't watch out)

Sharpshooter/Beckoner: ++ (lots of creatures, but otherwise a bit boring)

Berserker/Streetfighter: +++ (good PEN paired with good dmg bonuses, +60% hit to crit)

Livegiver/Priest of Wael: ++ (very powerful heals that can break the game, but tedious to play like all pure casters atm)

Transmuter/Corpse Eater: ++ (fun and powerful combo, but Form of the Fearsome Brute takes too long to cast, lacks a bit PEN)

Fury/Shattered Pillar: ++ (awesome ranged damage potential because of stacking lashes, but lacks PEN)

Priest of Berath/Devoted: ++ (good if you finally could summon your great sword)

I tried several pure caster combos, but I stopped with every one of them (except Livegiver/Priest) because they are just too bad and tedious to play atm.

• Like 4

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Only listing builds with which I finished:

Unbroken/Wizard: ++ (VERY tanky and nice synergy with multi-engagement + Ryngrim's Visage, but tedious self-buffing although superfast casts - with a scripting tool that would take care of that buffing sequence it would be +++)

Assassin/Soul Blade: ++ (awesome offense but also very squishy)

Berserker/Skald: +++ (lots of crits and lots of PEN)

Berserker/Devoted: +++ (yay - 100% hit to crit and awesome PEN)

Devoted/Skald: +++ (like Berserker/Skald)

Priest of Wael/Sharpshooter: +++ (really good AoE damage with the summoned rod's modal + PEN of Sharpshooter)

Bleak Walker/Helwalker: +++ (awesome damage with FoD+Lightning Strikes + MIG with dual Scepter + modal - but kills himself quickly if you don't watch out)

Sharpshooter/Beckoner: ++ (lots of creatures, but otherwise a bit boring)

Berserker/Streetfighter: +++ (good PEN paired with good dmg bonuses, +60% hit to crit)

Livegiver/Priest of Wael: ++ (very powerful heals that can break the game, but tedious to play like all pure casters atm)

Transmuter/Corpse Eater: ++ (fun and powerful combo, but Form of the Fearsome Brute takes too long to cast, lacks a bit PEN)

Fury/Shattered Pillar: ++ (awesome ranged damage potential because of stacking lashes, but lacks PEN)

Priest of Berath/Devoted: ++ (good if you finally could summon your great sword)

I tried several pure caster combos, but I stopped with every one of them (except Livegiver/Priest) because they are just too bad and tedious to play atm.

Does Obsidian have any plans to improve the caster classes and their abilities?

Sharpshooter/Devoted. Massive penetration, accuracy boosts through abilities on both sides, but to crit conversion of sharpshooter works nicely with devoted's crit bonus and fighter abilities can help make up for sharpshooter's deflection penalty. Not as much raw damage as Sharpshooter/SoulBlade (the melee focus of soul blade seems counterintuitive but it's still a nicer option to have than going with either of the other sub-classes) but the added penetration and survivability is nice, and confident aim allowing grades is a nice boost too.

- Skald/corpse eater: skald is great with any melee class (permanent AR reduction to all enemies, paralyze all enemies). The corpe eater part was not so good. I did not want to use berserker because I did not want to hurt my party

- shattered pillar/fury: I quit after a few battles. The monk part was useless because there was nothing I could spend my wounds on

- sharpshooter/fury + wolf: It was nice, but my fighter and rogue did more damage

I was always using the standart mercenary members and I played without using any cheats. I was playing classic difficulty.

My impression was that dual wielding + lots of might is the best way do deal lots of damage. Casters are very useful for buffing and healing. Most offensive spells take forever to cast and miss often, but they are powerful if they hit.

Edited by Madscientist

The most solid multiclass combo - Moon Godlike Kind Wayfarers/Helwalker with dual wielding sabres.

High might and a lot auto heals, insane auto attacks with might/lash and FoD for spike damage. You can solo the whole PotD with this combo easily.

The most fun combo - Human Bleak Walker/Streetfighter with dual wielding Blunderbuss.

Super high burst damage output. I like Paladins much more than I did in POE 1.

The best tank combo - Wood Elf Unbroken/Wizard with sabre/small shield.

Wood elf's resistance to Dex Affliction covers Unbroken's -15 reflex penalty, and yeah multi-engagement + Ryngrim's Visage can make some nasty damage while Arcane veil provides the tankiness.

Some other fun combos are like Berserker/Devoted, Soul blade/Assassin and etc, Boeroer already made a good summary of them I think :)

Edited by dunehunter
  • Like 1

Devoted/Helwalker

My current favorite for DPS. Devoted/Shattered Pillar is also great if you favor a more active play style.

Devoted/Berserker and Devoted/Soulblade

Pretty solid DPS builds, although Devoted/Soulblade tends to be more boring; Cipher powers suck so you're stuck picking but 3-4 passive talents from their tree and you're essentially just a Fighter beyond that.

Helwalker/Lifegiver

Amazing Thundercat build with great offensive potential; especially good as a Nature Godlike. Can be used with Shattered Pillar if you want a more active character.

EDIT:

Keen on trying out a Devoted/Skald. What songs and invocations should be looking at?

Edited by AndreaColombo

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

about good skald invocations:

- The one that reduces enemy AR, upgraded that the effect lasts longer when they get hit

- The one that paralyzes enemies

- One that causes damage. You will have so many crits against paralysed enemies that you will swim in phrases.

I never had the desire to have more invocations, those 3 already dealt with everything in your way.

• Like 2

I've pretty much only rolled multiclasses and also make fully custom made teams full of multi-classes. Here are the results:

• Cipher based 
    • Witch - Soul Blade/Berserker - Outstanding damage, attack speed and penetration, not to mention Carnage. Dual wielding fast weapons (one of the few that are not bugged like the heavy one handers). Deflection is not great but Will is solid with Iron Will (+15), The Chainsaw
    • PsyBlade - Soul Blade/Devoted - great damage, penetration and attack speed. Not as exciting as the Witch as Fighter is not as fun as Barbarian. Very solid.
    • Transcendent - Soul Blade/Shattered Pillar - much more micro intensive then the Witch and Psyblade as Monk abilities are really short durations like 10 seconds and lots of clicking to fire off a Torments Reach. If you don't mind the micro they do well as the Cipher part adds a lot of damage.
    • Inquisitor - Soul Blade/GoldPact - One of my favorites, very solid defenses, great single target damage, good armor plus all the Paladin goodies except aura. Set up with dual wielding fast weapons like clubs for the accuracy and ability to decrease Will.
    • Seer Sharpshooter/Beguiler - using dual wielded Scepters this guy puts out a lot of ranged damage with like 12 penetration. Does good damage with a bow as well. Start the fight with a Phantom Foes and every target is sneak attackable and their goes the malus for Beguiler. Really fun, my favorite ranged guy.
    • Mindstalker Streetfighter/SoulBlade - really really big damage with Biting Whip + Sneak attack, little on the squishy side though. Cipher lets you do AoE afflictions and then wade in and get massive sneak attacks easily.
  • Paladin Based
    • Fanatic BleakWalker/Berserker - absolute beast. Massive damage, attack speed, penetration, FoD, auras, carnage and great defenses. Not as much damage as the Witch but so much more durability. Dual wielding fast daggers or stillettos this guy is a killing machine and lots of fun. The Carbide Chainsaw
    • Crusader Unbroken/Shield bearer - more engagements than anyone else but they are not that useful when you get 6+. Solid, strong defenses but rather boring.
    • Votary - BleakWalker/Shattered Pillar - great defenses, little heavy on the micro with the Monk but very effective and fun. Probably what the Juggernaut build will be based on. Can make good use out of Dance of Death as your deflection will be high enough to get a lot of misses.
    • Templar - Priest of Wael/Darcozzi - the addition of mage defensive buffs like Arcane Veil and Mirror Image to an already tanky Paladin is awesome. Tanks like nobody else can. Plus you get priest spells. Its almost like a triple class.
    • HolySlayer - Goldpact/Streetfighter and Bleakwalker/Streetfighter - has enough defenses to make great use of the Streetfighter's desire to be flanked. Probably my favorite Rogue as it is tanky enough to not need to be watched all the time. The Bleakwalker version gets better FoD and aura while the Goldpact gets Gilded Enmity and Lay on Hands, both are solid picks.
    • Herald Darcozzi/Skald - great defenses, auras, Lay on Hands, plus enough picks to get the good invocations. Very solid support.
  • Chanter Based
    • Howler Mage Slayer/Skald - Skalds are great and barbarians add carnage and other good abilities. I find it easier to just stick with very few chants and only a few invocations like the AR debuff and the Paralyze. This frees up a lot of points to get placed in the other class.

I need to run some Monk builds. I held off due to the heavy one handers being bugged and I thought something was screwy with unarmed damage, or at least how it was displayed on the character screen. 

• Like 4

Just briefly checked a Devoted/Conjurer.

It is an interesting and fun build to play, with the potential of becoming fairly powerful.

However, even though summoned weapons are universal, they will not benefit from the Devoted's bonuses (and will incur the -10 Accuracy penalty) if you haven't chosen the appropriate proficiency. This means you must forgo weapons like Kalakoth's Minor Blight entirely since there is no proficiency for them, and in fact you are pretty much forced to go for staves as that's the only summoned weapon type available from level 1. I wrote feedback on this in the bug subforum.

Additionally, casting time for summoned weapons is way too long. At 6 seconds, even a character with 20 DEX takes too long (4.2 seconds) to conjure up a weapon. In that time, a melee character has buffed up, sipped a potion, and killed someone. To make a Fighter/Conjurer build viable (which I think we should, as it's a fun build), summoned weapons should be fast cast (this would help the Devoted/Priest of Berath build too, which is also good.)

Edited by AndreaColombo
  • Like 1

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Just briefly checked a Devoted/Conjurer.

It is an interesting and fun build to play, with the potential of becoming fairly powerful.

However, even though summoned weapons are universal, they will not benefit from the Devoted's bonuses (and will incur the -10 Accuracy penalty) if you haven't chosen the appropriate proficiency. This means you must forgo weapons like Kalakoth's Minor Blight entirely since there is no proficiency for them, and in fact you are pretty much forced to go for staves as that's the only summoned weapon type available from level 1. I wrote feedback on this in the bug subforum.

Additionally, casting time for summoned weapons is way too long. At 6 seconds, even a character with 20 DEX takes too long (4.2 seconds) to conjure up a weapon. In that time, a melee character has buffed up, sipped a potion, and killed someone. To make a Fighter/Conjurer build viable (which I think we should, as it's a fun build), summoned weapons should be fast cast (this would help the Devoted/Priest of Berath build too, which is also good.)

Kalakoth's Minor Blight seems to be an enhanced version of rod, with more dam type and shorter recovery time, maybe we will have a build for ranged summon weapon. Like Conjurer/Sharpshooter with Kalakoth's Minor Blight and Driving Flight combo. Just a little thought here.

Edited by dunehunter

Does Minor Blights work with the rod proficiency/modal? I thought I tried it but couldn't use it...?

As I already said: I really like the rod of the Priest of Wael. Its lash gets carried over to the blast and its base damage is good, too. If one would combine it with Sharpshooter + Driving Flight it might be too good.

What about Blast + Driving Flight + Swift Flurry? Stack overflow? ;)

Edited by Boeroer

Does Minor Blights work with the rod proficiency/modal? I thought I tried it but couldn't use it...?

As I already said: I really like the rod of the Priest of Wael. Its lash gets carried over to the blast and its base damage is good, too. If one would combine it with Sharpshooter + Driving Flight it might be too good.

What about Blast + Driving Flight + Swift Flurry? Stack overflow? ;)

I mean to activate Blast with rod, your recovery time is slowed from 3 second to 6, but Kalakoth's Minor Blight itself is Foe target + 1.5m radius, so its Blast by itself already, and it only has 3 recovery time, so I call it enhanced version of rod + blast :p

My comments on the multiclasses I have tried playing through on potd.

unbroken/barbarian - strong, reliable like you would expect. You really don't notice the downsides.

troubador/barbarian - fun, though a bit squishy on the front lines due to needing pretty high int. They have nice utility.

soul blade/barbarian - great damage dealer with soul annihilation. very simple to use. not horrible at soaking damage, though you do have to watch them.

unbroken/goldpact knight - very potent tank, reliable at holding down a doorway, and provides a little bit of utility. easy to use.

troubador/evoker - Fun class combo, though it really hurts not having access to kalakoth's minor blights. Very useful utility class combo. Honestly I didn't find that it did very much damage because the number of spell casts was too low and enemies often avoided taking any damage from spells like fireball. However they are great for interrupting enemy spellcasters and other useful things like the chanter invocation that relieves dex afflictions. Not a front line fighter by any means.

helwalker/barbarian - too squishy for the front lines in potd it seems. it felt like more glass than cannon in my playthrough.

one o' the multiclasses we has had the most fun with is a goldpact knight/priest of eothas.  is clear not a powergamer build.  even so, the upcoming strength/might/resolve changes will have 0 impact 'pon the build. 12,10,15,15,16,10.  weapon proficiencies is flail, club and greatsword.  got another paladin in the party, so lack o' an aura is not an issue.  the gold coat provides +4 ar, which at the moment is pretty keen even when wearing the fine chain or scale which is available in the beta without resorting to GiveItem. firebrand is doing considerable flame/pierce damage and with the greatsword modal, sworn rival and flames o' devotion active, it produces silly crit numbers-- is a better weapon than some suggest. 'course most o' the time we dual wield the summoned flail and a fine club.  chunk. chunk. chunk.

folks telling us the hybrid classes and ciphers "can't do the job," or other such nonsense is being ridiculous.  melee combat numbers we got back from our templar is easily the best in a party o' a votary, skald, vanilla mage and vanilla priest... and is not a little bit better.  with the club and flail modals, we can choose to lower will or reflex saves by 25 at our discretion... comes in mighty handy if we wanna use an empowered divine mark. priests typical have numerous spells which target will, but the priest o' eothas is gonna be getting more fire spells in the next build, fire spells which often target reflex.  as such, even w/o considering damage output, the weapon choices come in handy. 

drawback: maintaining the devotions would be a bit o' a challenge in a real game. try and maximize rational, stoic, honest and benevolent all at the same time will take effort.

we would much prefer a classless system.  even so, am thinking folks is getting 'caught up in the math they see on the message boards w/o bothering to see the actual math in the combat logs. obsidian has provided more viable options than most is aware. and beyond the math, many 'o the s'posed gimped and crippled builds is not only highly effective, but fun.  with our numerous tested templars and contemplatives we can play characters who is not only potent in weapon combat, but they is effective affliction killers and buffers... with the frequent empowered damage spell thrown into the mix for funsies. 

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

• 1 month later...

I've toyed with a number of builds throughout the Beta, mostly before the update, but the two I had the most fun with and completed all the content were:

Rogue(Streetfighter)xBarbarian(Mage Slayer) - Crits for days - a bit squishy at times, but smart use of heals/second wind kept me alive the whole time and killing everything

Monk(Nalpazka)xBarbarian(Mage Slayer) - coked out on Coral Snuff made this a crazy fast build who could hold their own, quite good but not as great as the other

I know Mage Slayer is not well thought of but it served me quite well in the Beta due to Lagufaeth being so magic heavy I'd assume, though I'll probably drop it and go vanilla Barb or Berserker if it's not bolstered by release.

90% sure I'll go with the Marauder build upon release, but not sure about my stat distribution. So far I've gone with 20, 16, 15, 15, 6, 6 which has worked out fine, but with such low Will and Deflection I'm not sure if I should flatten it out a bit more to not be so squishy as damage can really rack up quickly if I'm not careful. And I think I'll go from a Hatchet/Sabre loadout to Hatchet/War Hammer to bring in some diversity of dmg types as only dealing Slash probably isn't the smartest thing.

I've toyed with a number of builds throughout the Beta, mostly before the update, but the two I had the most fun with and completed all the content were:

Rogue(Streetfighter)xBarbarian(Mage Slayer) - Crits for days - a bit squishy at times, but smart use of heals/second wind kept me alive the whole time and killing everything

Monk(Nalpazka)xBarbarian(Mage Slayer) - coked out on Coral Snuff made this a crazy fast build who could hold their own, quite good but not as great as the other

I know Mage Slayer is not well thought of but it served me quite well in the Beta due to Lagufaeth being so magic heavy I'd assume, though I'll probably drop it and go vanilla Barb or Berserker if it's not bolstered by release.

90% sure I'll go with the Marauder build upon release, but not sure about my stat distribution. So far I've gone with 20, 16, 15, 15, 6, 6 which has worked out fine, but with such low Will and Deflection I'm not sure if I should flatten it out a bit more to not be so squishy as damage can really rack up quickly if I'm not careful. And I think I'll go from a Hatchet/Sabre loadout to Hatchet/War Hammer to bring in some diversity of dmg types as only dealing Slash probably isn't the smartest thing.

A Mage Slayer really should procc with more than just melee, ranged weapons at least. *I'm hoping*

• Like 2

I would be happy if a Mage Slayer's Carnage would also cause the disrupting effect, not only his direct hits.

In the meantime I played with (adding to the list I posted above):

- Bleak Walker/Assassin (great sword): very strong alpha strikes with FoD + Backstab + Sneak Attack + Assassinate + Savage Attack that go up to 300+ damage

- Bleak Walker/Beckoner (pike): very good dps of summons due to Mith Fyr + Shared Flames lashes. Fun!

- Bleak Walker/Sharpshooter (dual scepters): high PEN, great ranged damage, not as frail as Bleak Wlaker/Helwalker and better PEN

- Wizard/Soulblade (quarterstaff/pike): sturdy due to self buffs, good damage and totally bonkers once you get Citzal's Sprit Lance (tested with console: it's basically "AoE Soul Annihilation")

- Sharpshooter/Helwalker (dual scepter/The Long Pain): The Long Pain works with Driving Flight + Swift Flurry (tested with console) - pretty broken combo atm.

- Sharpshooter/Assassin (rod/Minor Blights+dagger): Blast and Minor Blights apply afflictions (including bleeding DoTs) in an AoE. Especially with the Arterial Strike this leads to nearly all enemies running around with tons of DoT ticks.

- Shattered Pillar/Wizard (Minor Blights+dagger): superfast AoE balsts with Swift Strikes and great with Lightning Strikes, totally bonkers with Swift FLurry due to the endless-crit-chaning bug. Also stuns in an AoE with Stunning Strikes.

... some combos aren't fun because they are obviously broken/bugged, like everything with Swift Flurry or Cleaving Stance - because they trigger additional attacks endlessly which results in one-shotting whole groups of enemies. That gets quite boring.

Lots of balancing and bugsquishing to be done.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 2

Hmmm, anyone tried assassin/devoted? Backstabbing + assassinate can create cleave attack easily, using smoke veil to sneak into the central of mobs and backstab one mob can cause a heart of fury like aoe attack easily.

Edit: ah as Boeroer said there is the cleave attack issue, but even without that it is a pretty good combo imo. Not sure if backstab + cleave or FoD + cleave, which is better tho :)

Edited by dunehunter

A Mage Slayer really should procc with more than just melee, ranged weapons at least. *I'm hoping*

Yeah being able to open combat with dual pistols or the like to get a hit on any out of range magic user would be nice. It did feel wrong to have my character not use pistols in a high seas setting. Also looking at things Sabre/War Hammer actually looks to be the better combo than Hatchet/War Hammer, I lose out on +3 deflection by dropping the Hatchet, but my dmg output is a lot stronger with the Sabre.

Yeah being able to open combat with dual pistols or the like to get a hit on any out of range magic user would be nice. It did feel wrong to have my character not use pistols in a high seas setting. Also looking at things Sabre/War Hammer actually looks to be the better combo than Hatchet/War Hammer, I lose out on +3 deflection by dropping the Hatchet, but my dmg output is a lot stronger with the Sabre.

If you are looking for damage you should go with dual wielding fast accurate weapons like daggers, clubs or rapiers. A weapon switch to stillettos will handle penetration issues without much loss in dps. War hammers look cool but their damage is really low.

Assassin/Evoker: A+ except against enemies with fire resistance (assassinate from invisibility seems to be bugged so it only works with the first hit from stealth and any DoT which tick while invisible---so you can open with fireball, but without Transmutation or Conjuration you're left with invisible assassinate-fueled Ray of Fire); maybe C against fire resistance

Assassin/Fury: A (less DPS than evoker but better CC with assassinate Returning Storm; better range of damage types too)

Wizard/Trickster riposte tank: C+ (made before I realized the deflection bonuses don't stack at all, did okay but got hit occasionally, also only has Infuse with Vital Essence to deal will/fortitude attacks)

Berserker/Fury: C (Berserk makes the jump on the spiritshift's auto-attack hit allies; tested before spell damage was shifted to Resolve and bonus penetration from Tenacious was nerfed, spell damage was underwhelming even then)

Berserker/Sharpshooter: B (okay but requires more micromanagement than expected, maybe A- if you really like to kite)

Edited by SaruNi

• 2 weeks later...

After devoting a majority of the weekend to beta3, I've enjoyed:

Mage Slayer/Fighter: Good damage, support, and some defense through Rapid Recovery. Since he can't use potions or scrolls I fill his inventory with explosives and noise makers to set up ambushes. Modeled after Torian Kel from Arcanum.

Darcozzi Paladin/Priest of Wael: Popular build on these forums for all the right reasons. Spectacular tanking abilities with some extra support on the side.

Rogue/Skald: Great at breaking armor and setting up afflictions for sneak attacks.

Beckoner/Evoker (or /Priest of Berath, Lifegiver): Summon a hoarde of skeleton minions before the enemy's midline to body block and mess up pathing. Then blast away with Fireball (summoning more skeletons!), cast Berath afflictions, support allies, etc. Hilarious with the Flames of Devotion upgrade that copies the effect on to nearby allies - would the Bleak Walker FoD add its bonus effect?

Priest of Eothas/Lifegiver: Solid support all around, though I find the shifting mechanic clunky and Rejuvenation spells have less than perfect range and AoE. Investing in Arcana adds even more versatility.

Beguiler/Ghost Heart (Wolf Spirit): How I saw my main character in Pillars 1, and what I'll go with when the game launches. I especially enjoy Charming enemies from stealth, and the wolf spirit can soak a good bit of damage. If Cipher cast/recovery times get reduced, I might go with Beguiler/Sharpshooter instead, but this is my Watcher's best thematic option.

Assassin/Sharpshooter: Fun for a while, but it's gimmicky, selfish, and falls apart quickly. Might be okish if Invisibility effects beyond the costly Guile skills are reasonable to come by.