What if retargetting was instead done this way:

1. Start casting (subject to interrupting).
  2. When casting ends a character holds a charge of this spell. Not subject to interrupts now. Character portrait should indicate somehow, that spell is ready. If you start casting another spell (or use whatever else ability you have) the charge is lost.
  3. You switch to the character, chose your target and released the spell. Time, spent between steps 2 and 3 is subtracted from recovery time (to a minimum of 0).

At least it could be useful for spells with long casting times that target something other that self, I think.

(At the very least it was my impression it’s not how it works currently from the way people are posting about it)

Edited by tinysalamander

Pillars of Bugothas

I doesn't seem bad, but I don't see a benefit of suggested change either. The only abuse I could think of is "preparing" spells far away from the fight and than running in and casting it with no recovery and no danger of being interupted. I think that you can't retarget spells beyond your range for a reason. Maybe a massive walking slowdown when "carrying" a ready spell (like in Magica) would prohibit possible casting-outside-battlefield: abuse.

• Like 1

I doesn't seem bad, but I don't see a benefit of suggested change either.

Less pauses needed, that’s about it.

The only abuse I could think of is "preparing" spells far away from the fight and than running in and casting it with no recovery and no danger of being interupted. I think that you can't retarget spells beyond your range for a reason. Maybe a massive walking slowdown when "carrying" a ready spell (like in Magica) would prohibit possible casting-outside-battlefield: abuse.

Sounds reasonable. Or outright set movement speed to 0 until spell is released if even slow movement is dangerous for some reason.

Pillars of Bugothas

I do like the idea of charged/"held" spells, in general for games. However, I don't know about replacing simple retargeting with this. If it were merely an option and didn't allow for any unintended exploitation of anything, I would definitely be all for it.

On a similar note, one thing I think could potentially be a compromise for people wanting pre-buffing of old is a held spell/ability. Basically, everyone could get to store up 1 ability outside of combat, to use instantly once inside combat. There could be a level/tier threshold on this, etc. Anywho... I don't see why it would be impossible or inherently problematic to do allow the option to hold a spell after you've gone through the whole cast time, etc., in combat.

• Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Maybe have it holdable equal to the duration of recovery, after which it auto casts to the last designated target. Have the recovery cooldown start right after the cast is complete, as you say.

Indefinitely holdable seems to really change how risk plays into combat. You could charge, switch to auto-attacks, wait for debuffers to do their think. Then crack the whip with no penalty. Or maybe that is exactly what you want? It certainly is strategic, but I think it's too useful and would take away from the natural risk that casting presents. Because with your suggestion you could just run your casters back a bit, charge up, then run back in. Only costing movement time, which is probably paid off by avoiding various aoes and flanks, etc. I'd rather keep the focus on protecting the casters with how the front line is managed.

You would also have to be careful with the AI. If you are not directly controlling the character with the charged spell they may decide to cast or do some ability before you get to them. I guess that could be address with an AI setting though.

I could say it as a system to save clicks. You press spell you want to cast and the spell gets prepared, and when it is ready game pauses and you decide when you want to cast it. Of course, you might end up "preparing" spells by accidents, and can you "try out" spell before preparing it? 

Nah, I think change creates more mess, but I do see it working.

• 2 weeks later...

I like the idea of holding spells like this. As was said above, I don't see a problem with having the spell once you spent the time casting it in combat. Additionally, I could see this being a special caster ability you have to spend a point on in order to gain access to, or perhaps additional points to cast the higher level spells like this. Maybe each point could hold the spell longer, with the final point letting you attack or use non-spell abilities while holding the charge. I think that would be really fun! It seems like it could add a new strategic element to combat as well. It adds new ways to use the spells rather than just making them more powerful, which I love to see in games.