PET NEST WITHIN KEEP (REQUEST)

I will begin by saying that the concept of pets (let alone horses) in many fantasy role playing adventure games make little sense as they would pretty much get hurt all the time, would frighten and run-off (probably get lost or hide) which is all you really need after fighting off 3 trolls and being roughed-up and knowing several more are coming you're really looking for the stupid cat you just found that ran off...? Plus, what mundane cat can out run a Winter Wolf whose breath weapon pop icicles it... little flying baby dragons sure until you find a griffon or winged gargoyle, right? Try stealth movement with playful puppy... lol. Plus, said little puppy is an easier grab for a lone or two goblin than your party, right? Let's face it - it's gaming fluff and pets are really reward and trophy items.  

Even so, I get it and I like finding and rescuing the little guys, too. I would, however, love to see my stronghold be their homes. It is a concept that has been done (e.g., the Space Monkey Thing in ME3). I mean... who travels around with a space monkey in tow and underfoot on adventurers and raids. Really?

In PoE, I would have loved to have been able to give them to the Warden (to hold in like an inventory item box... so,, yes, you could get them back if you did want to take them on adventures and trade them around) who would care for them in the keep... but when you gave them over to the Warden - the pets would populate the keep in various places - the library, different parts of the courtyard, kitchen, prison part, etc., so they each had their little spots, safe at home-base.  

In this slightly more realistic way, I would be the rescuer of pets who I would give a good safe home after all your keep is really a functional trophy item, too - yes, it has function and benefits, but still a trophy.

• Like 2

`Tyger~ :cat:

Of course, in the zany world of Pets in Pillars, what I would not likely do is... stuff one pet (much less all of them) in the airless hole of my stash... squished in between armor, blades, potions, and food (lol) - with one of two likely results: "Ew, Steve the Spider got squished between the +2 Shield and +3 Barbed Plate! " or " DARN IT! FIDO! Did you eat all the jerky AGAIN! It's dog-bone soup, tonight! "

Why are people so into pets in games?!

Never liked it in WoW, don't like it in PoE. This isn't pokemon god dammit, god dammit!

Eh, i liked having the Zombie Cat following me around in PoE 1, but at the end of the game i had like an entire farm-worth of animals in my backpack. Not sure i liked THAT very much.

• Like 3

Never liked it in WoW, don't like it in PoE. This isn't pokemon god dammit, god dammit!

Because they're cute and cuddly :). I think everyone who loves animals loves pets in games. 

Personally, I'm all for a little pet zoo on a ship.

• Like 6

Because they're cute and cuddly :). I think everyone who loves animals loves pets in games. 

Personally, I'm all for a little pet zoo on a ship.

I have two cats and a dog. I had animals my entire live and love them very much. But I don't upload pictures of them, don't watch cat videos, don't read any animal stuff on social media and passionately hate the idea of pets in computer games, computer games about pets or any depicition of pets in media just for the sake of being there. I hate oversized pokemonesque wolfs or foxes with fancy hair, unnaturally colored fur, animals with magical attributes or overly intelligent animals. The only acceptable animal in a game is a dog, given that it has a realistic size and shape.

If we are to get a pet room on this ship, I sincerely hope that there is an option to turn it into a torture chamber.

So keep in mind, that I will do those animals as many harm as the game lets me to and it will be your fault. If the game won't let me, I will roleplay to do so. I'll skin those little ****ers alive.

I really needed to say that.

Edit: I don't want to scare anyone. I really love my real life animals and I treat them as well as I can. :)

Edited by Lord_Mord
  • Like 3

---

We're all doomed

At first I sold every pet I got. Then I noticed that they sell for 0gc. After that, I carried on selling them because I don't care about pets in this sort of game.

That said, if people like them then that's fine by me.

The great Dutch admiral De Ruyter (who beat the joined French British fleets in 1672) kept chicken on the back of his ship, behind his personal room.

He is said to feed them and talk with them before battles, when everybody else was nervous.

Have-You-Hugged-Chicken-Today570.gif

Now i want to have a chicken on my ship.

• Like 9

If you don't keep a good mouser on board, the bilge will get overrun by giant mutant rats and you'll have to go below to clean them out. That's reason enough to keep a few empty boxes around for the cat to rest in.

:cat:

• Like 7

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

At first I sold every pet I got. Then I noticed that they sell for 0gc. After that, I carried on selling them because I don't care about pets in this sort of game.

I think in POE2 you will want to collect them because they will give various bonuses, sort of like another trinket.

Also, I believe Concelhaut's Skull will return.

I think in POE2 you will want to collect them because they will give various bonuses, sort of like another trinket.

If they give bonuses so much the better!

Well, if Liches in PoE work in at least similar way to the way they work in DnD, Concelhaut should return completely, if his phylactery (which is his skull, from my understanding) is left intact for long enough.

I quite liked Concelhaut in PoE, he seemed pretty wizard.

Was kinda bummed out we had to pummel him into the ground and rip his head off, like it was Mortal Kombat or something.

Well, if Liches in PoE work in at least similar way to the way they work in DnD, Concelhaut should return completely, if his phylactery (which is his skull, from my understanding) is left intact for long enough.

I quite liked Concelhaut in PoE, he seemed pretty wizard.

Was kinda bummed out we had to pummel him into the ground and rip his head off, like it was Mortal Kombat or something.

Well, in POE2 we'll meet more of Concelhaut's loony arch-wizards "friends". Arkemyr being one of them. I hope Concelhaut's skull will have some quest or convo about it.

Well if a pet can offer me something then I may save them from the oblivion of an eternity living in the inventory of the Black Hound inn (or equivalent), but otherwise they're getting the chop.

I am glad that folks shared their thoughts on the matter (and hope, if others want to, they do...). On a personal note, I love pets in real life. While I never really got the purpose (beyond trophy, swag, or window dressing of your home) of non-functional pets in game where party gets smoked by breath weapons, fireballs, lightning bolts, and other such... I did come to the conclusion long ago that they were probably here to stay and so engaged in radical acceptance (lol).

While I would never complain should pets not appear in a game, I am fine with them when they are a part of the games I play (like who cares - don't like them then don't pick them up, buy or sell them, and pretend they are not there...).  When they were a part of the game and my mind went into immersion mode, I asked myself... okay, so I find these little guys on my adventures, what would my character do.  As I am not an evil human (much less goblin), I would not make cat stew or dog steak. I doubt I would leave them in a dungeon to starve or feast on the carrion left behind from my battles... I would probably rescue them and set them free, give them to a family or farmer, or just care for them in the keep. In real life, man domesticated feral animals because they could be invaluable for example - for keeping pests in check (and thereby disease from insects, mice, rats and other vermin... moreover, well trained dogs as alarms (barking), herding farm animals, protection, etc.,.

​So, on my ship, I would love a few mousers and having a couple baby drakes flying about the masts or sitting on the rails around the captains wheel - you know little places where they make their homes - why not. If they provide powers or perks fine, I would carry one about - probably build a little side pouch on my backpack where they could ride or scramble up and into during battle. Even on the ship, they could provide perks - the black and white drakes could dive bomb foes causing no damage but acting like 'firecrackers' (aka distraction). In fact, foes moving into any area with pets inhabiting your ship should saving throw of some type OR suffer from 2-5 seconds of distraction as animal quickly darts or scrambles for cover - cats or dogs in barrels, drakes swoop around before heading to the top of the masts, spider skittering across the deck before darting under pile of ropes, and so on... in truth, if you are raiding a ship, turn the corner and a dog scampers across your path - there is a fairly good chance you are distracted. 

Of course, in the zany world of Pets in Pillars, what I would not likely do is... stuff one (much less all of them) in the airless hole of my stash squished in between armor, blades, potions, and food (lol). With one of two likely results, "Ew, Steve the Spider got squished between the +2 Shield and +3 Barbed Plate!" or "DARN IT! FIDO! Did you eat all the jerky AGAIN! It's dog bone soup, tonight."

​I mean, one could even incorporate the concept of a pet or so, into the game - farmers or open market vender who sells food might purchase a good mouser or pet dog (barking dogs chase foxes, provide alarms, and such) and/or give you a discount if gifted one, hunters or villagers an appropriate hunting dog or feral feline, or even after rescuing a family and noticing their children have had their favorite pet(s) slain... giving them one of yours for benevolence and kindness reputation points (or you could selfishly keep them all to yourself - lol). You know... one or two side quest hooks not PC becomes Pet Smart.

​Well, in any case, I am sure there are a lot of ways to consider things... glad my thought has generated interest and different thoughts.

Cheers... ~M~

Edited by TygerxEyes
  • Like 3

`Tyger~ :cat:

Of course, in the zany world of Pets in Pillars, what I would not likely do is... stuff one pet (much less all of them) in the airless hole of my stash... squished in between armor, blades, potions, and food (lol) - with one of two likely results: "Ew, Steve the Spider got squished between the +2 Shield and +3 Barbed Plate! " or " DARN IT! FIDO! Did you eat all the jerky AGAIN! It's dog-bone soup, tonight! "

Of course, in the zany world of Pets in Pillars, what I would not likely do is... stuff one (much less all of them) in the airless hole of my stash squished in between armor, blades, potions, and food (lol). With one of two likely results, "Ew, Steve the Spider got squished between the +2 Shield and +3 Barbed Plate!" or "DARN IT! FIDO! Did you eat all the jerky AGAIN! It's dog bone soup, tonight."

Please make this your forum signature. I want to reread it everytime you make a post.

• Like 3