HDMI 2.1 Specification Released

Keyrock

https://www.engadget.com/2017/11/28/hdmi-2-1-specification-is-now-available-with-10k/

• 48 GB/s bandwidth
  • 4K at 120 Hz
  • 8K at 60Hz
  • 10K at 30 Hz
  • Dynamic HDR
  • Variable Refresh Rate
  • Quick Frame Transport
  • Quick Media Switching
  • Auto Low Latency Mode

I wouldn't expect any hardware supporting HDMI 2.1 for at least 7 or 8 months, but I'm pretty excited for 4K at 120Hz.

Edit: The dream of a 4K 120Hz monitor, roughly 35" in size and a rig capable of powering it... and me being able to afford it...

tenor.gif

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

You even dream about it with a low res, bad colour gif.

• Like 2

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I mean, resolution gains tend to look the best out of everything you can do, though. You don't drop your resolution to get higher quality textures, after all - you drop the texture quality.

• Like 2

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

I'm going to be all about frame rate on my next build.  35" or 36" is the ideal size monitor for the room it's going in and at that size the pixel density of 4k looks AMAZING.  If I was looking at a 45" or 50 " monitor then higher resolution would definitely into consideration.  I recently got to play on a 100 Hz monitor (my current monitor only runs at 60 Hz) and, while we all know the human eye can't see past 30 Hz  :shifty: , games running at 100 Hz looked so amazingly butter smooth.  That's more important to me than pushing resolution or effects when games already look so good at 1440p or even 1080p.  The goal is to build a whole new ring in 2 to 3 years that is capable of 4k at 120 Hz.  Hopefully, by then prices have dropped enough on the monitors and video cards that it becomes feasible within my budget. 

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I want square monitors that are the same height as the standard 16:9 panels we have today. Why isn't this a thing? Essentially something the overall width of a dual-screen setup but with the view centred on the middle primary monitor. Don't want 21:9 because I don't want fullscreen games taking over the all of the vision.

(Given how LG are marketing their 2:1 phone screens as 18:9, they'd call square screens 9:9)

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Don't they make those dimensions for like shop assistants and such. 

https://www.geek.com/news/eizos-27-inch-3k-display-is-perfectly-square-1610009/

The 4k ones seem to be missing or hard to find though. Probably too expensive a production line for a small market. 

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.