SAWYERISM BETRAYED - Might turns back into Strength, Resolve will affect spell damage

HA! Good Fun!

ps current the basement for stat reduction is 5... in case nobody else already mentioned.

What do you mean that the basement is five for stat reduction? I just rolled up an Orlan Wizard in the Beta with a 2 Might.

could be a bug we had.  tried it and got locked at 5.  

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

While I liked the PoE stats, I'm open to seeing how this plays out.

My PoE druid had high Might and Intellect, and a reasonable spread of other stats.

I'm wondering in PoE2 how I'll need to arrange my stats - it might depend on whether I go for the shapeshifter sub-class or focus on casting...

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

RIP ciphers.  This new change breaks them more than anyone else.

if only every class/build were equal broken, then we would be genuine pleased.

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/94897-how-does-the-new-resolve-solve-anything/?p=1958190

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/94897-how-does-the-new-resolve-solve-anything/?p=1958201

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/94858-resolve-huh-what-is-it-good-for/?p=1958209

as we noted 'bove, am gonna play before convincing self o' the improvement o' the specific change to resolve.  however, the absence o' dump stats making optimized builds more challenging to construct should be the goal rather than something to be mourned.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

If they would have gone the route of "give chars with high RES more concentration points once they get concentration" it would have been great for any caster - especially with the new system of longer cast times and interrupts. At the same time you could have left MIG as it was.  I really think this would have been easier to do (in terms of coding) and better. Do the same with PER (low PER = weaker interrupt points, high PER = more interrupt points). If you have 10 points of concentration and get hit by an 11-point-interrupt you fumble. If you have 10 concentration an and are hit by a 5-interrupt you're left with 5 points of concentration. Pretty simple or not? Maybe too complicated...?

I also liked the "shrug off afflictions more quickly with high RES" suggestion. You don't even need to balance the game then, because at 10 RES it's no change at all.

• Like 9

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I really hate this. I'm very disappointed in Josh right now. :(

You genuinely feel this strongly about it?

There are millions of people dying of thirst and this is all you care about? The name change of a stat on an unreleased game??!"?$%^?&%

• Like 2

nowt

I never really liked that one stat was responsible for all sources of damage in a character.

Might meant that your character would be equally capable of landing a powerful blow with either his bare fists or by summoning a lightning bolt.

RP wise this never made any sense for me.

With this change now, though, resolve seems to be a very heavy stat as it includes anything a mage wants and the much required deflection for melee classes.

I’d either remove deflection from the attributes overall and assign it to just equipment. (From a mechanical point of view the most appropriate attribute for deflection is dexterity for me anyway).

Oh and anyway having dump stats is all but normal for me. There’s absolutely no reson for a battle hardened fighter to sharpen his intellect as a mandate to be more efficient in battle for example (unlike a battlemage).

• Like 3

There’s absolutely no reson for a battle hardened fighter to sharpen his intellect as a mandate to be more efficient in battle for example (unlike a battlemage).

Especially for rp reasons, intellect is more mandate for a capable fighter than bare muscle. You fight with your mind, your body follows. Strength makes you hit harder not be more efficient.

Intellect = magic has nothing to do with rp, since the use of magic is defined by the worldbuilder him/herself. There is no magic in real world to make comparisons.

D&D tropes must die yesterday.

• Like 5

Everybody always thought of might as strength. That was the problem. It was tied in to both spell and melee damage because might reflected raw soul power; this *could* be physical strength or it *could* be magical strength. The dialogue options didn't always reflect this, and it led a lot of people to thinking about might as strength when it never was.

I liked how *every stat* was important to *every character*. That was one of the things I really, really enjoyed about PoE. Now I'll just dump strength for points and pump everything I need. Disappointing.

• Like 9

Why we don't have weight system?

We have new noise system, that's cool, but why there is no weight, only item limit in inventory?

So character with strength = 2 can fill up inventory with full plates... :)

Strength and constitution could affect weight, some interesting interactions could be made and

there will be a punish for dumping strength!

Edited by Nail

Done this with Moon Godlike Wizard

q22yrpP.png

Perebor steam

Oh... and strength is a must for any archer in real life, have you tried to shoot with a long bow? It requires a lot strength.

Whereas strength isn't important for melee combat when you're wielding a weapon like a sword. It's not unimportant, but there's basically a threshold above which extra strength gives rapidly diminishing returns.

• Like 1

Strength is important up to a point; you need the strength to draw the bow, which I guess is an argument for base strength requirements for different bows. But that only works up to a point; there's a max draw on a bow that caps how much strength can impact your damage with *any individual bow*.

• Like 1

Oh... and strength is a must for any archer in real life, have you tried to shoot with a long bow? It requires a lot strength.

Whereas strength isn't important for melee combat when you're wielding a weapon like a sword. It's not unimportant, but there's basically a threshold above which extra strength gives rapidly diminishing returns.

The same thing can be said about dexterity and swords, it requires a certain dexterity to weild a sword properly, more than axes or maces.

The same thing can be said about dexterity and swords, it requires a certain dexterity to weild a sword properly, more than axes or maces.

Agreed. My point is just that looking at the real world is only useful to an extent when designing game mechanics. The whole idea of damage is a dubious one, since in the real world people don't have hit points: an accumulation of minor cuts and grazes don't eventually kill people, whereas a single well placed blow can kill someone no matter how experienced a combatant they are (being a "high level" fighter does not allow you to survive having your carotid artery cut by a well placed cut).

• Like 3

There’s absolutely no reson for a battle hardened fighter to sharpen his intellect as a mandate to be more efficient in battle for example (unlike a battlemage).

Especially for rp reasons, intellect is more mandate for a capable fighter than bare muscle. You fight with your mind, your body follows. Strength makes you hit harder not be more efficient.

Intellect = magic has nothing to do with rp, since the use of magic is defined by the worldbuilder him/herself. There is no magic in real world to make comparisons.

D&D tropes must die yesterday.

Can’t disagree with that. You’re right.

In any case it’s really hard to have a direct equivalent to what is applied in reality in a game.

The only think I liked from the old DnD structure is the clear distinction between physical and mental attributes (except charisma maybe).

Now, how those affect a characters battle prowess I’m happy to debate. But when building a character I like to know if I’m upping a physical or a mental stat

Are people really regretting support for this game over "two" stat changes in a beta? Damn, that's petty.

I'm completely open and in support for experimenting with aspects of the game, It shouldn't be a problem for any reasonable person. The only minor nitpick I have is the name change just because I find "Might" sounds more aesthetically pleasing.

• Like 5