Resolve! Huh, What is it good for?

KDubya

A damage dealing melee will max out Strength while a Spell nuker can dump strength and place those points in Constitution so that their Fortitude does not suffer. The Damage dealing nuker can then max Resolve.

More food for wizard tanks  :facepalm: Is wizard gonna be the new god tier class in POE2? I call for nerf now before it gets ugly :)

Well, in PoE I... Wizard is already in god tier :)

• Like 1

Done this with Moon Godlike Wizard

q22yrpP.png

Perebor steam

I had a good night's sleep.

I am back for a proposition.

Attribute Distribution 1.0 (According to the new system)

Strength : 5 % damage / 2 fortitude defense

[Physical oriented]

Constitution : +5% health / 2 fortitude defense

[Health oriented]

Dexterity : 3% action speed / +1 deflection / 2 reflex defense

[Nimbleness oriented]

Perception : +1 accuracy / 2 reflex defense / 5% area of effect

[Perception of distances]

Intelligence : 5% affliction duration / 5% spell damage / 2 willpower defense

[Magical oriented+DEBUFF oriented]

Resolve : 3% duration / +1 power level for empower / 2 willpower defense

[bUFF oriented]

-----

Empower = Determination no ? So ...^^ Resolve.

Deflection = Agility

Edited by theBalthazar

I'm not a fan of this. I'd say leave empower out of attributes, otherwise it will create the same problem as deflection - spellcasters in general will be better than melee classes at spamming empowered abilities.

everything depends on the strength of the power level. it can be regulated.

Buff. You have an emergancy = heal of priest. (empower because this is an emergency).

If not, you pay with an investment in resolve for that, for others classes. And resolve become more attractive. You can also easily return to previous system. (area of effect return at intelligence, and you kill +% damage spell)

Edited by theBalthazar

I had a good night's sleep.

I am back for a proposition.

Attribute Distribution 1.0 (According to the new system)

Strength : 5 % damage / 2 fortitude defense

[Physical oriented]

Constitution : +5% health / 2 fortitude defense

[Health oriented]

Dexterity : 3% action speed / +1 deflection / 2 reflex defense

[Nimbleness oriented]

Perception : +1 accuracy / 2 reflex defense / 5% area of effect

Intelligence : 5% affliction duration / 5% spell damage / 2 willpower defense

[Magical oriented+DEBUFF oriented]

Resolve : 3% duration / +1 power level for empower / 2 willpower defense

[bUFF oriented]

-----

Deflection = Agility

If there is 5% affliction duration for int, then resolve should give 5% buffs duration instead... Also dex should give 5%spd too...

Anyway this would make more sense than their actual ideas...

What if Resolve gave ±5% healing received instead of/in addition to deflection? Str/Mig will not give healing boost here, which makes it so that healer himself isn’t the one who wants Resolve.

I prefer this to the current change. It fits well with Fighter's Constant Recovery, since a tankier fighter will both want more Deflection and to maximise their self healing; and it avoids Ciphers being screwed by needing too many attributes.

Sure, Resolve remains a dump stat for most Wizards and a lot of other classes, but no moreso than with the current proposed change, and at least Might remains useful for spell casters who want to do damage. If Resolve also affects healing done by Athletics and drinking potions then Resolve might even become useful for other classes too.

If there is 5% affliction duration for int, then resolve should give 5% buffs duration instead... Also dex should give 5%spd too...

Anyway this would make more sense than their actual ideas...

Indeed.

Attribute Distribution 1.1 (According to the old system)

Might : 3 % damage / 2 fortitude defense

[Physical and Magical oriented]

Constitution : +5% health / 2 fortitude defense

[Health oriented]

Dexterity : 3% action speed / +1 deflection / 2 reflex defense

[Nimbleness oriented]

Perception : +1 accuracy / 2 reflex defense

Intelligence : 5% general duration / 5% area of effect / 2 willpower defense

[Magic amplitude oriented]

Resolve : 5% resistance to afflictions / +1 power level for empower / 2 willpower defense

[Determination/resistance oriented]

--------------

Attribute Distribution 1.1 (According to the new system)

Strength : 5 % physical damage / 2 fortitude defense

[Physical oriented]

Constitution : +5% health / 2 fortitude defense

[Health oriented]

Dexterity : 5% action speed / +1 deflection / 2 reflex defense

[Nimbleness oriented]

Perception : +1 accuracy / 2 reflex defense / 5% area of effect 

Intelligence : 5% general duration / 5 % magical damage / 2 willpower defense

[Magical oriented]

Resolve : 5% resistance to afflictions / +1 power level for empower / 2 willpower defense

[Determination/resistance oriented]

-----------

EXPLICATIVE EDIT :

Resistance to afflictions = reduction of time afflictions. 15 resolve = 5 % x 5 = 25 %. / = -25 % time on receive afflictions.

Edited by theBalthazar

What if Resolve gave ±5% healing received instead of/in addition to deflection? Str/Mig will not give healing boost here, which makes it so that healer himself isn’t the one who wants Resolve.

I prefer this to the current change. It fits well with Fighter's Constant Recovery, since a tankier fighter will both want more Deflection and to maximise their self healing; and it avoids Ciphers being screwed by needing too many attributes.

Sure, Resolve remains a dump stat for most Wizards and a lot of other classes, but no moreso than with the current proposed change, and at least Might remains useful for spell casters who want to do damage. If Resolve also affects healing done by Athletics and drinking potions then Resolve might even become useful for other classes too.

If you wanna keep it logical with this description wise then you'll have to rename Resolve into...hmm...Attunement?

Forgive me if Pillars 2 vastly changes the existing landscape -- I haven't played the Backer Beta out of an interest in not spoiling anything about the game yet -- but I'm not sure I understand the concern about hybrid builds being gimped with the Resolve change? In Pillars 1 right now, I'm playing a melee/hybrid Wizard in PotD, and my base might and resolve are both... 10. No bonus, no malus, no nothing. This is because at least in my case, the most important stats are (by far) Perception, Intellect and to a lesser extent, Dexterity. Sure, I regret not dumping Resolve (I don't really wish to respec mid-game because I'll lose all the spells and that's a hassle), and this change will help me avoid that feeling in Pillars 2. But otherwise I don't see what the problem is. The recently-rectified lack of general talents were a much bigger source of uncertainty for the viability of a (pure-class) hybrid wizard than this change to Resolve, really.

There's a good chance I'm missing something because my PotD playthrough is actually just my second playthrough of the game (I finished the game on Normal when it first came out in 2015, didn't touch it afterwards), but my experience so far in PotD tells me this isn't going to be much of an issue.

• Like 2

Resolve : 5% resistance of afflictions / +1 power level for empower / 2 willpower defense

I'm not a fan of resistance to afflictions either, because each attribute already affects their 3 respective afflictions resistance. But as I've posted above you can safely add afflictions time reduction. So, fitting to Resolve description, you can still get the affliction but it's time will be reduced. Like, you shrug off bad affliction faster.

Edited by Aramintai

add afflictions time reduction. 

= Resistance to afflictions = time reduction !^^

Not really. You propose a percentage change of not getting an affliction at all, I propose reducing time it takes for an affliction to wear off.

If you wanna keep it logical with this description wise then you'll have to rename Resolve into...hmm...Attunement?

It kind of works if you read Resolve as “will to live” as well, IMO.

Pillars of Bugothas

A damage dealing melee will max out Strength while a Spell nuker can dump strength and place those points in Constitution so that their Fortitude does not suffer. The Damage dealing nuker can then max Resolve.

More food for wizard tanks  :facepalm: Is wizard gonna be the new god tier class in POE2? I call for nerf now before it gets ugly :)

I'll trade in 8 deflection for 24% weapon damage any time as a wizard. I don't know about you guys but my auto attacking wizards deals a ton of damage in the beta. Summoning weapons are among the strongest spells right now and even regular implements are pretty good.

I'll trade in 8 deflection for 24% weapon damage any time as a wizard. I don't know about you guys but my auto attacking wizards deals a ton of damage in the beta. Summoning weapons are among the strongest spells right now and even regular implements are pretty good.

That might change once other damage dealing spells are buffed, which they really need to be.

Aren't summoned weapons a spell? If so they should be governed by Resolve as well, no need for Strength.

I find it less bad than mage of PoE who would cast the crowd control spells, followed by powerful damage spells, followed by talking out weapons and wrecking enemies with his high might.

As we will be rather picky regarding what spells we pick we could go for high intelligence, high strengths mage using debuff/crowd control spells and weapons, especially with multiclassing.

I think example of cipher given earlier shows why it might end up being a good change. For cipher every stat has its function. Depending on what of his abilities you want to focus on you favour different stats. It probably need some tuning but it could be alright. And as some people already mentioned, PoE stats aren’t that big of a deal. Minmax or not, changes to how character plays and performs are minimal.

• Like 4

Assuming the changes go forward, I think Strength should stay for summoned weapons. Flavour-wise, they're supposed to be physical objects that are conjured into existence. Perhaps some exceptions for things like Kakaloth's Blights. Mechanics-wise, would it not stop melee wizards from being uber-tanks, since they have to split between weapon damage and the deflection boost/traditional spell damage? Though were I to make a melee summoned weapons wizard, I'd probably find the damage increase from Might to be more worth it than the bump in Deflection from Resolve.

I wasn't around for the PoE beta/early patches, but from what I heard Deflection used to be governed by Per? Anybody remember why that was changed? I feel like moving Deflection to Per wouldn't make it too OP, especially since Per-based Interrupts are out.

Edited by Lamppost in Winter
  • Like 2