Resolve! Huh, What is it good for?

KDubya

Well, you won't lose anything by not importing, except maybe for some exclusive perk for being a veteran. The game will have a system akin to Tyranny where you'll be able to choose whatever decisions you made in POE1.

I lose the experience of importing. One of the things I enjoyed most about the Baldur's Gate series was importing my character, but if Baldur's Gate 2 had used D&D3e I wouldn't have. Feels the same here.

So importing stats was more important to you than story decisions? BG1 didn't import story decisions to BG2, but I guess they made a way around it by making some things canon. And I get what you mean, importing 100% same character with all the same attributes, skills and spells and portrait was satisfying. But that was AD&D for you, there was no need to tweak anything. But personally, after Mass Effect series I got used to devs tweaking stats system in every new game, importing story decisions started to feel more important to me.

point out the innumerable successful/superior sequels which altered mechanics significant will not benefit you.  

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

But that was AD&D for you, there was no need to tweak anything.

Amen!

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

I think it's an interesting change, but I don't really like that they are changing the name.

It's a big nerf to casters flexibility. Spells like Kalakoth's blights, god's weapon, etc., while still being very powerful with strength, will become niche for your mainstream casters

So importing stats was more important to you than story decisions? BG1 didn't import story decisions to BG2, but I guess they made a way around it by making some things canon. And I get what you mean, importing 100% same character with all the same attributes, skills and spells and portrait was satisfying. But that was AD&D for you, there was no need to tweak anything. But personally, after Mass Effect series I got used to devs tweaking stats system in every new game, importing story decisions started to feel more important to me.

Mass Effect is a good example of why this bothers me, and I ended up not importing there either (I just downloaded a save with the appropriate world state).

I realise I'm probably a bit weird in this respect.

• Like 1

you have no idea how much we would pay for a bg2 or iwd enhanced edition which utilized the iwd2 mechanics. that woulda' been a real enhanced edition.

HA! Good Fun!

I would be extremely happy if that happened, I agree - infinite fun!

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Flavour wise, I like the change because Might as "spiritual strength" was a cool concept, but never seemed to be reflected that way, whereas Resolve on at least one occasion (Adra Dragon 18 Res check "Your soul does burn bright") was linked to that. Mental force determining the raw force behind spells also makes sense for me. Mechanics wise, I could go either way.

Kind of wished they just kept it as Might for old times' sake, but I guess it might be confusing to returning players who don't know that it changed.

Since there's precedent for splitting some stats up logically, perhaps next game they can implement a fix to my actual pet peeve of the attributes; Accuracy vs. everything, and have stuff like Str vs. Fort, or Res vs. Will. Hell, it might be possible in this game if we did something like Strength gives a bonus to Accuracy vs. Fortitude, rather than just a straight stat contest.

• Like 3

Mental force determining the raw force behind spells also makes sense for me. Mechanics wise, I could go either way.

For me Intelligence sounds more fitting as mental power that governs spells than Resolve. 

• Like 1

I'm going to be frank, this change really blows.

I understand that Resolve was in need of something and there have been some good suggestions about it giving +/- affliction time etc.., but this is so heavy handed in the opposite direction. Now Resolve has become a must have for casters along with Intelligence and Dexterity which leaves little else for stat optimization. This especially runs contrary to the idea of mulitclassing where there was a universal damage stat. I was really enjoying working on my character i was going to transfer which was a Priest in PoE 1, and now a fully realized Pallid Knight Priest/Fighter. But these changes throw everything out of wack

For example his current statline is 

Mig:18 Con:8 Dex:19 Per:10 Int:20 Res:3

Now it would have to be

Mig:12 Con:8 Dex:14 Per:10 Int:18 Res:16

Now i'm sure some  would say "Well now you have to chose if you want use a weapon well or be a blaster" But lets look. The loss of Dexterity will universally slow our casting down and even if we were to cast holy power we would still be at 17 one point lower the previous statlines base. And sure you could argue "Well just use the first statline and just use buffs and healing". And i would, had healing not also been moved to Resolve. it also Strips any use of the extra spells a Berath/Magran/Eothas priest would get unless they all just sword/board and become spell turrets completely forsaking any weapon combat and dumping Might....oh i'm sorry "Strength"

• Like 1

Btw, if we're separating damage here why not borrow from AD&D some more and separate some more? Relegate physical melee/ranged damage to Strength, wizard spells/ciphers abilities to Intelligence, priest spells/paladin&chanter abilties to Resolve (like Wisdom in AD&D).

• Like 1

That would make wizards and ciphers focus on intelligence to the exclusion of all else, barring some specific (probably multi-classed) builds.

There's still gonna be that one attribute that people will want to pump to the max depending on class. Why not make it more logical at least?

But I can also go with dividing spells - defensive spells go to Resolve, offensive to Intelligence. 

Edited by Aramintai

I find it hard to explain, but I think of damage as being raw "force" from a spell, and Resolve seems to me like willpower and force of personality, which matches that more than Intellect. Duration of effects feels to me like a more "subtle" effect than damage, and therefore more fitting to Intellect. Bit of a sidenote, really, since the stats seem to have verisimilitude as a secondary concern.

• Like 3

That would make wizards and ciphers focus on intelligence to the exclusion of all else, barring some specific (probably multi-classed) builds.

There's still gonna be that one attribute that people will want to pump to the max depending on class. Why not make it more logical at least?

Yes, but in the current (as of Josh's announcement) setup, a primary spellcaster has a choice of focusing more on resolve for damage/healing or intelligence for duration and size. Doing what you suggest would cut even that choice.

• Like 3

I find it hard to explain, but I think of damage as being raw "force" from a spell, and Resolve seems to me like willpower and force of personality, which matches that more than Intellect. Duration of effects feels to me like a more "subtle" effect than damage, and therefore more fitting to Intellect. Bit of a sidenote, really, since the stats seem to have verisimilitude as a secondary concern.

Absolutely agree. Intellect would be a better fit for increased AoE, well Perception too, as a matter of fact.

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Looked at Deflection some more, here are the results as of the current beta:

ms8lemWh.png

Now let's look at the new system where every spellcaster and his mama will take 18 Resolve to pump their spells:

7vOe7xXl.png

So basically, even without putting on armor and other bonuses spellcasters will be better tanks than any melee class unless these melee classes specifically invest in Resolve just to pump that Deflection. May not look like much for a fighter who most likely will take some points in Resolve anyway, but things are not looking too good for such Resolve ditchers as Barbarian and Rogue.

So how can you not find it stupid that spellcasters are gonna be tankier than melee classes?

Edited by Aramintai
  • Like 4

Barbs have lower base deflection and growth than anybody else?  :huh: Definitely something funky going on with the base stats.

Would lowering the casters' base deflection be an adequate solution for you?

Also I think it needs to be said that not all casters are going to pump Resolve for damage. My Wizard/Druid certainly doesn't.

Edited by Lamppost in Winter

Barbs have lower base deflection and growth than anybody else?  :huh: Definitely something funky going on with the base stats.

Would lowering the casters' base deflection be an adequate solution for you?

Yea, I rechecked the barbarian twice, it has lower deflection than any other class. Can't say it doesn't make sense though for that archetype.

For me the solution would be to either move and/or dupe deflection onto more fitting attributes like CON or DEX or take it out of the attributes altogether and have it affected only by armor, shields, deflection increasing spells, etc.

Edited by Aramintai
  • Like 1

Also I think it needs to be said that not all casters are going to pump Resolve for damage. My Wizard/Druid certainly doesn't.

Most would, no doubt about it, maybe not to 18 but bigger than 10 for sure. And non-tank melee classes will still have less deflection because for them it's gonna stay a dump stat.

• Like 1

So basically, even without putting on armor and other bonuses the wizards will be better tanks than any other class unless these other classes specifically invest in Resolve just to pump that Deflection. May not look like much for a fighter who most likely will take some points in Resolve anyway, but things are not looking too good for such Resolve ditchers as Barbarian and Rogue.

So how can you not find it stupid that spellcasters are gonna be tankier than melee classes?

Basically they will make a game were you have to invest into something to be good at it and you think it's stupid.

• Like 1