Resolve! Huh, What is it good for?

KDubya

Absolutely nothing!

Seriously what is the point of the Resolve stat now? Before when it included Concentration you'd worry about dumping it and getting interrupted all the time but that is now a separate ability granted by some spells.

As most every class benefits from Intellect it is quite easy to drop 1:1 and keep the same Will defense while gaining a large boost to duration and area. Adjusting by five points has a piddly effect of -5 deflection.

Sure for roleplaying reasons you might not want everyone to be Timid but from a power gamer's view it looks to be the go to strat.

• Like 11

It probably gonna be reworked, but right now I see no real reason to pump this attribute aside from roleplaying reasons and conversation stat checks. Are there any classes that noticeably benefit from it?

P.S. Also, an idea - make Resolve affect the chance of getting an injury. Like, if you have high resolve you get a good chance of shrugging off the pain of injury, if you have low Resolve you'll get injuries 100% of the time. Maybe this can help with this attribute's usefulness and alleviate the brutality of injury system?

Yeap. Resolve now is a completely dump stat on majority of character builds, with a possible exception for some sort of pure tank, provided there gonna be some bosses that deal heavy damage vs deflection and whose penetration is enough to trump your AR in case they score a crit.

CON can often provide more survivability per-point. And not to mention that:

- MIG has became more important, and is now a stat which every healer and damage dealer has to heavily invest into. 

- DEX became a bit more important. Unlike in PoE1, there is stuff that increases attack/casting duration besides DEX. And they stack multiplicatively.

- PER became more important as well. Previously it was enough to have a 15 acc lead over target's defenses, because by shifting the attack resolution to the right you were eliminating misses completely; effectively changing misses for crits; and afterwards the diminishing returns were kicking in, as past 15 it was already graze -> crit trade which was less of impact. In Deadfire though...

As a quick idea, Resolve could increase the interval of scoring a (outcoming) Hit:

10 RES: 0-50 miss (16-50 graze), 51-100 hit

20 RES: 0-30 miss (16-30 graze), 31-100 hit 

Or provide some incoming crit-to-hit downgrade.

Edited by MaxQuest
  • Like 2

I'd just give more Concentration with a threshold IF you have any means of getting Concentration after all. Every Concentration "point" gets removed by an interrupting attack at the moment. With a lot of resolve you could get 2, 3 and so on points for higher resolve once you get Concentration.

• Like 2

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Yeap. Resolve now is a completely dump stat on majority of character builds, with a possible exception for some sort of pure tank, provided there gonna be some bosses that deal heavy damage vs deflection and whose penetration is enough to trump your AR in case they score a crit.

- MIG has became more important, and is now a stat which every healer and damage dealer has to heavily invest into. 

- DEX became a bit more important. Unlike in PoE1, there is stuff that increases attack/casting duration besides DEX. And they stack multiplicatively.

- PER became more important as well. Previously it was enough to have a 15 acc lead over target's defenses, because by shifting the attack resolution to the right you were eliminating misses completely; effectively changing misses for crits; and afterwards the diminishing returns were kicking in, as past 15 it was already graze -> crit trade which was less of impact. In Deadfire though...

As a quick idea, Resolve could increase the interval of scoring a (outcoming) Hit:

Side topic, but am I imagining it or was there any other big change to stat effectiveness, with intelligence?

In the first game there was a long-term bug, which I don't think ever got fixed, that Int multiplied the radius of the area of effect, not the area. Is it my imagination or is that something they fixed in the backer beta? The int bonus to AoE's feels a LOT smaller.

Not likely. The point of % damage reduction is dealing with heavy hits. It means enemies with heavy hits should not have high enough Pen to ignore player's armor, especially tank's armor.

If they had enough Pen they would be doing 100% of their damage so % damage reduction would not be handling those big hits at all! That would make Josh look really bad.

• Like 1

Vancian =/= per rest.

I'd just increase the Deflection/Will bonuses to compensate, or maybe have something like... Resolve decreasing the duration of negative effects?

Nevertheless, i'm just really hoping there aren't any useless "dump stats", because that's something i really liked about PoE 1, all of the stats had a purpose (of course you COULD dump some of the stats to min-max the others, but min-maxers are gonna min-max, whatchagonnado?)

• Like 1

Side topic, but am I imagining it or was there any other big change to stat effectiveness, with intelligence?

In the first game there was a long-term bug, which I don't think ever got fixed, that Int multiplied the radius of the area of effect, not the area. Is it my imagination or is that something they fixed in the backer beta? The int bonus to AoE's feels a LOT smaller.

Constitution becomes less worthy because the new Endurance system, without Health it's less important to pump Con.

What about decreasing the duration of incoming negative afflictions just like INT increases your outgoing effects?

For example:

An enemy tries to blind you for 10 seconds; he has 12 INT, you got 14 RES: 10 * (1 + (0.10 - 0.20)) = 9 second duration.

And if you have low resolve you have to deal with longer afflictions. I like this idea.

What about decreasing the duration of incoming negative afflictions just like INT increases your outgoing effects?

For example:

An enemy tries to blind you for 10 seconds; he has 12 INT, you got 14 RES: 10 * (1 + (0.10 - 0.20)) = 9 second duration.

I don't like this, one attribute should not affect all types of afflictions, that would make it too useful. Right now each attribute affects 3 unique afflictions tiers and it looks simple and logical what attribute covers what affliction. Look in this post for more info:

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/94587-racial-traits/?p=1953513

I think resolve needs something of it's own, not overlapping with other attributes. Injuries affect sounds better to me.

Edited by Aramintai

For example:

Voted, really like this idea.

For example:

Voted, really like this idea.

Yes, it's neat and comprehensible.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

For example:

I like this but durations for a lot of powers are already mega-short relative to their casting time; you might need to proportionally lengthen spell durations a bit first (which would, ironically, make Resolve more important!)

• Like 1

But I afraid this change may benefit enemies more than players. Imagine a Epic Boss fight where the enemy Boss has such high Res that he will shrug every CC u put on him.

What are the Resolve values of the enemies in the beta?

I just had a nightmare where lagufaeth all have 30 resolve

Yeah exactly :p If they all have 30 resolve it not your nightmare but your CC wizard's :D

But I afraid this change may benefit enemies more than players. Imagine a Epic Boss fight where the enemy Boss has such high Res that he will shrug every CC u put on him.

Gafonercos has 26 RES iirc.