Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The mechanics of Full Attack/Primary Attack are bad

mechanics Full Attack Primary Attack

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

MaxQuest

MaxQuest

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1991 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I remember in one of the videos (that came with a fig update) some barbarian was doing a Barbaric Blow with a single mace and hit three times in a row very quickly. Do you remember? At that point I thought "Neat! They are improving Full Attacks." - But either it was a bug or it didn't turn out well - no idea.

Yeap I remember it.

A barbarian with 2H was swinging his weapon twice during Full Attack from Barbaric Blow. But iirc there appeared only 1 overhead damage number, so I thought it's just a custom animation.

Edited by MaxQuest, 28 November 2017 - 05:56 AM.

• Boeroer likes this

Nail

Nail

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 324 posts
  • Steam:Perebor
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I remember in one of the videos (that came with a fig update) some barbarian was doing a Barbaric Blow with a single mace and hit three times in a row very quickly. Do you remember? At that point I thought "Neat! They are improving Full Attacks." - But either it was a bug or it didn't turn out well - no idea.

Yeap I remember it.

A barbarian with 2H was swinging his weapon twice during Full Attack from Barbaric Blow. But iirc there appeared only 1 overhead damage number, so I thought it's just a custom animation.

I thought it was fighter Cleaving Stance or something like that...

Edited by Nail, 28 November 2017 - 06:54 AM.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 11783 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

In the video I saw it was a barbarian who used a Barbaric Blow and did multiple strike animations with that.

dunehunter

dunehunter

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2254 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer

On a secondary thought, I think one of the advantage of dual wielding fast weapon is, you can have faster responding to the event in the battle field thanks to the faster recovery time.

So Imagining you spot an enemy wizard try to cast a devastating spell, a two-handed character may still in his long recovery loop so he cannot interrupt the wizard. But a fast weapon dual wielder can, and interrupt twice because of dual wielding.

Climhazzard

Climhazzard

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 841 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer

On a secondary thought, I think one of the advantage of dual wielding fast weapon is, you can have faster responding to the event in the battle field thanks to the faster recovery time.

So Imagining you spot an enemy wizard try to cast a devastating spell, a two-handed character may still in his long recovery loop so he cannot interrupt the wizard. But a fast weapon dual wielder can, and interrupt twice because of dual wielding.

Yeah for this reason I often like to use fast weapons on any character with the ability to react to various situations.  Priests for example have a .5 second cast speed heal, but if you're stuck in a 5 second recovery because you were using a 2 hander with armor equipped, the dude you wanted to heal is probably dead by the time you cast the heal.  But if you were using a pair of wands instead the heal will go off almost instantly.

Any kind of disrupters will probably be better off with 2 average speed weapons than they would be with a single two hander as well.  For a lot of builds it might not matter at all though, just something extra to keep in mind when you're picking weapons for your characters.

Edited by Climhazzard, 29 November 2017 - 02:09 PM.

takamorisan

takamorisan

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 84 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer

I think the solution would be changing skill behavior based on the weapon itself instead of having a single behavior, the issue is having to do a new formula for each style of two handed, dual wield, one handed and ranged weapons.

Edited by takamorisan, 29 November 2017 - 02:19 PM.

dunehunter

dunehunter

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2254 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer

Yeah for this reason I often like to use fast weapons on any character with the ability to react to various situations.  Priests for example have a .5 second cast speed heal, but if you're stuck in a 5 second recovery because you were using a 2 hander with armor equipped, the dude you wanted to heal is probably dead by the time you cast the heal.  But if you were using a pair of wands instead the heal will go off almost instantly.

Any kind of disrupters will probably be better off with 2 average speed weapons than they would be with a single two hander as well.  For a lot of builds it might not matter at all though, just something extra to keep in mind when you're picking weapons for your characters.

Maybe we will see an interrupt build with two fast weapon? :)

dunehunter

dunehunter

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2254 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer

Maybe a easier way to fix fast weapon on backstab, is to give fast weapon some extra bonus when doing backstab? For example, dagger got +100% damage when backstab, club got +stun when backstab.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mechanics, Full Attack, Primary Attack

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users