Does prone have a duration?

Madscientist

I used my mercenary fighters mule kick in my first playthrough.

It showed interrupt plus 1,5sec vertical launch ( The description for mule kick is still temporary)

But using mule kick on several enemies causes the game to get stuck in combat.

https://imgur.com/a/RskVa

Now I used knock down.

It caused damage and caused interrupt.

https://imgur.com/a/fnST6

The description of prone says that it causes interrupt and enemies take longer to regain their footage.

Are effects that cause prone supposed to have a duration ( like PoE1) or is it correct that no duration is shown?

I am not sure and I want to ask somebody else before I report this as bug.

• Like 1

No prone currently has a duration, they are basically just interrupts now.  I'm pretty sure they removed prone due to the new afflictions system.

This is a massive nerf to force of anguish though, and considering that rooting pain is better at interrupting it's rather pointless to take force of anguish.  As a monk you'll want to get and use stunning blow instead since it's now a full attack it's your best chance to CC something and actually has a duration.  IMO prone abilities ought to be aoe now to make up for the loss of duration, or perhaps give an affliction in place of prone, such as shaken or dazed.  Prone probably still rolls against fortitude so dazed or staggered make the most sense.

This means monks don't have anything to spend wounds on for like 5 levels though, stupid. 

Edited by Climhazzard
  • Like 1

No prone currently has a duration, they are basically just interrupts now.  I'm pretty sure they removed prone due to the new afflictions system.

This is a massive nerf to force of anguish though, and considering that rooting pain is better at interrupting it's rather pointless to take force of anguish.  As a monk you'll want to get and use stunning blow instead since it's now a full attack it's your best chance to CC something and actually has a duration.  IMO prone abilities ought to be aoe now to make up for the loss of duration, or perhaps give an affliction in place of prone, such as shaken or dazed.  Prone probably still rolls against fortitude so dazed or staggered make the most sense.

This means monks don't have anything to spend wounds on for like 5 levels though, stupid. 

It's a big nerf to knockdown if true, as well. Knockdown was one of the better abilities in early game and really helped make the fighter useful in an active way.

• Like 1

The problem with using Stunning Blow is that it uses mortifications not wounds. The more you use it the less Swift/Lightning Strikes you'll have available.

Replacing prone with an affliction with a duration like dazed would be a great idea. It could be done for Knockdown as well, then give Mule Kick the upgraded affliction plus the 1.5 seconds in the air or whatever.

The problem with using Stunning Blow is that it uses mortifications not wounds. The more you use it the less Swift/Lightning Strikes you'll have available.

Replacing prone with an affliction with a duration like dazed would be a great idea. It could be done for Knockdown as well, then give Mule Kick the upgraded affliction plus the 1.5 seconds in the air or whatever.

Well, a pure monk would have plenty of uses for both in later levels.  Ofc there might be better stuff to use mortification's on by then.  Most likely you'd use raised torment against fodder and stunning blow for tougher targets since it would hit twice while dual wielding improving the chances of it working, like when you want to CC bosses.

Even if you didn't take stunning blow there really still isn't much use for force of anguish as it is now, you'd just use raised torment for everything as rooting pain would take care of your interrupts.

It's even worse for fighters, making a mediocre ability even more mediocre.  Kind of sucks for fighters since they have **** for active abilities as it is.  I guess if the game is going to go to level 20 there's probably still a lot more abilities to be revealed though so perhaps they'll only be boring in early levels.

Edited by Climhazzard

Prone as an Interrupt rather than a CC with a duration makes sense, I suppose (and it was quite annoying seeing your dudes just lying on their asses for upwards of 14 seconds), but it leaves the abilities that were previously hard CCs with Prone like Slicken or Pillar of Faith in a weird place, and causing a dearth of hard CCs in the early game where we used to rely on Prones.

• Like 2

Really don't understand the decision. If you can keep stun and paralyze, why not keep prone as affliction? As some of you already said: Knockdown is bad in Deadfire, so is FoA. At least FoA pushes targets away a lot and this can be used - for example to push them into my unbroken's engagement. But it's a lot of fuzz and not really worth it. Especially against fast moving enemies (Lagufaeth) it's quite pointless. 

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

So that's why Knockdown and Mind Wave were sooo bad.

And I was futilely trying to find their durations in the combat log...

:lol:

In the beginning I was wondering why my generic fighter couldn't manage to knock over some silly xaurips...

The only CC effect I find myself using frequently now is Killers Froze Stiff (paralyze against will) with a Devoted/Skald or Berserker/Skald. Because with dual clubs I can lower the will defense, then cast Killers FS and then wack them with 100% hit to crit conversion which generates a lot of phrases in seconds - more than I can spend (at least at lvl 9). But this is because it's against will and it's a 0.5 sec cast.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 2

You generate phrases by doing damage? O.o

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

You generate phrases by doing damage? O.o

Skald get's phrases for weapon crits yes, as well as cheaper offensive invocations. Double daggers (fast, +accuracy), clubs (fast, +accuracy), or wands (use the ranged recovery speed aura with wands) are probably your best bet.  They are probably the best CC/debuff class at the moment as they don't suffer from cast times like the other caster classes do. With 20 perception, 15 dex, and 15 intelligence, I was fairly able to CC or debuff enemies (which I did depends on their defenses) in PotD.  You want to make sure you can graze with spells though.  Dire blessing or multi class fighter.

Edited by Climhazzard
  • Like 1

Interesting. I’ll add Devoted/Skald to my list of builds to try.

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus