Soul Whip + Biting Whip stacking issue

AndreaColombo

Question

1. Start a new game.

2. Create a Cipher character.

3. At level-up, make sure you select Biting Whip as one of your talents.

4. Attack a Tikaware bystander to initiate combat in order to activate Soul Whip/Biting Whip.

5. Land a hit during combat and check its damage breakdown by holding shift while mousing over the combat log entry.

6. Observe that Soul Whip + Biting Whip are giving you a 20+40 = 60% damage boost.

DgHVPda.png

Note that the same applies to Soul Whip + Draining Whip, which give you 20+20 = 40% extra damage.

Is this intended?

The abilities' tooltip seem to suggest that Biting Whip would change Soul Whip from 20% to 40%, whereas Draining Whip would change it from 20% damage to 20% damage + 20% focus gain increase.

EDIT:

Dam ninja'd me on the bonus issue I mention below— https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/94674-skill-cipher-biting-draining-whip/

Bonus issue:

1. Start a new game.

2. Create a multiclass character with Cipher as its second class.

3. Level-up the character.

4. At 4th level, select Biting Whip and hit next; now the game will let you pick a second ability for this level up.

5. Observe that you can pick Draining Whip even though you've already taken Biting Whip.

Biting Whip + Draining Whip stack with each other. In combination with the bug above, this gives you 20+20+40= 80% extra damage on top of 20% more focus gain.

Even if the above is not a bug and Biting Whip is indeed meant to give you 60% (and Draining Whip 40%), I'm quite positive Biting Whip and Draining Whip should be mutually exclusive.

Edited by AndreaColombo
  • Like 4

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

1 answer to this question