I had an idea for an unusual ranger:

class: kind wayfarer/sharpshooter

You dual wield sceptres and use the modal that increases damage but you take raw damage yourself.

Sceptres are 1handed, so you can dual wield them. Their range is only 4m, but they count as ranged weapon.

Kind wayfarers get retribution (+damage done when you take damage) and they heal themselves with FoD (a full attack, means you attack with both weapons). Later you take eternal devotion so you continue to have a fire lash after using FoD. From the ranger you take wounding shot, another full attack dealing extra raw damage to the enemy. Most other ranger talents go into boosting your pets damage. Paladin could take (greater) LoH and his aura (either +acc or the (improved) defensive one for regeneration)

You can skip marksman because you will never be further away from the enemy than 4m.

- Do you think that such a char could be effective (cause good damage and stay alive)?

- Do sworn enemy and marked prey suppress each other?

- If it works, which race, stats, pet would be best?

- Do sworn enemy and marked prey suppress each other?

- If it works, which race, stats, pet would be best?

Sworn Enemy and Marked Prey doesn't suppress each other, but there is a bug currently that their bonus don't work on ranged weapons, at least not on firearms and crossbows.

two more things:

- Do you think the raw damage from the modal + aegis of loyalty would heal a paladin from confusion or is it really unarmed attacks ( fists ? ) only?

Did it work for dangerous implements or sacred immolation for the paladin himself in PoE1?

- Unlike the talent in PoE1, you can turn the modal on and off if you take too much damage.

What about paladin with retribution + Helwalker as alternative?

Lightning Strikes works with ranged weapons and stacks with FoD, and you'd get +MIG while hurting yourself on top of the retribution. Stunning Blows also works with ranged weapons and is a full attack.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

For paladin/monk I would use the melee dual wielder, as posted by dunehunter.

Being hit generates wounds and also triggers rooting pain to damage enemies around you.

A ranged monk feels strange to me, but maybe I am a victim of playing too many DnD games.

A ranged paladin monk would always need a tank to hide behind. You cannot be more than 4m away from the enemy which makes kiting hard. And using ranged weapons in close combat does not feel right to me, though I admit that you do not get a penalty for it ( except being unable to engage the enemy ).

I admit that ranger gives you nothing but the pet and +2 penetration. So it all depends on how usefull your pet is.

This char could be good for attacking from the second row. Your paladin aura buffs also your melee chars and you can support them without moving, but you are so far away from the enemy that melee enemies cannot hit you.

EDIT:

Of course, the paladin/monk could be profient with melee weapons and sceptres, switching between close combat and second row shooter depending on the situation. There were so many builds that were focused on a single weapon. One reason was, that in PoE1 every char could select every combat style and you take only one of them. Maybe this char is another reason for not giving all passive talents to every class.

Edited by Madscientist

What about paladin with retribution + Helwalker as alternative?

Lightning Strikes works with ranged weapons and stacks with FoD, and you'd get +MIG while hurting yourself on top of the retribution. Stunning Blows also works with ranged weapons and is a full attack.

This one! https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/94602-beta-build-monkpaladin-helwalkerkind-wayfarer-build/