Your Tiers List [Base Classes, Subclasses]

theBalthazar

1) In Update 40 an old version of some full ability trees (rogue & druid) is shown very briefly (~ 2:20)

2) Data-Mining @ RPG Codex

It's weird that Steel Garrote paladins and Priests of Woedica clearly exist in the code (and based on the patch notes for beta 4 are still being actively developed), but aren't player available. Perhaps it's DLC stuff.

Or plot-related stuff... *duhn duhn duuuuhn*

Edited by AndreaColombo

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

1) In Update 40 an old version of some full ability trees (rogue & druid) is shown very briefly (~ 2:20)

It's weird that Steel Garrote paladins and Priests of Woedica clearly exist in the code (and based on the patch notes for beta 4 are still being actively developed), but aren't player available. Perhaps it's DLC stuff.

My guess is NPCs / villains.

My guess is NPCs / villains.

Will be cool if priests/paladins are allowed to "convert" / change orders based on new cultures/cults they encounter.

Console observations:

- There indeed seem to be several varieties of Priest of Woedica and Steel Garrote paladin npc's

- The Woedica spells can be added to party priests, so Steel Garrote abilities can probably be added to paladins

- Woedica's spiritual weapon is fists

Edited by SaruNi
  • Like 1

Has anyone been able to ascertain if soulblade/berserker is any good? At least as a pure dps character?

Nah. It's not terrible though. Bleakwalker or devoted mix well with barb. I give soulblade/hellwalker my stamp of approval though. I ran moon godlike. Max strength. Perception/Constitution secondary. Dump resolve. Haymaker on at all times. Lightning strikes on till you run out (which never happened before everything died.) Dance of death every time you can get away with not getting hit for a few seconds. Single hits from soul annihilation were 100-150-ish. 

I tried a Soulblade/Berserker, as it fits my PoE Watcher both narratively and in terms of gameplay, but it was meh. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good melee class to pair with soulblade? 

Fighter works well because you get extra survivability and accuracy (and more, if you go devoted). Paladin also has complementary abilities.

Synergies Paladin/Soulblade:

- FoD: lashes generate focus, so with every FoD attack you generate a ton. You can alter between FoD and Soul Annihilation all day long and do tremendous single target damage. Doesn't really matter that Soul Annihilation is a primary attack only - if you hit with it it's a one-shot most of the time anyway.

- Eternal Devotion: the lash that you keep (20%) helps with Soul Annihilation. When you execute Soul Annihilation you will gain focus from the hit (including the lash bonus) THEN dump all your focus into the raw damage. You don't need max focus before executing SA - actually that's a waste of focus. It's ok if you are halfway there.

- Soul Whip + Biting Whip = +40% additive damage, combined with high MIG (multiplicative) and FoD (lashes als multiplicative) results in awesome damage.

- Zealous Focus: more accuracy and conversion is good for Soul Annihilation because unlike FoD it has no ACC bonus and likes to miss/graze.

- Paladins have a big impact on your sturdyness. Since a Soul Blade has to go into melee fight that is a good thing.

- With Scion of Flame and Hammering Thoughts FoD gets +2 PEN. Together with Soul Annihilation (that doesn't care too much about AR because it's raw damage) you can take a low PEN but high dmg weapon and still be on the safe side when it comes to AR penetration.

- A lot of great support abilities from two pools

- Pain Link + Sacred Immolation = auto AoE ouch I guess (later, not beta material)

- Borrowed Instincts + Faith & Conviction + Deep Faith = nigh invincible defenses and godly ACC bonus - +40 with FoD!

- Sworn Enemy + Recall Agony = really ouchy on tough single targets

- At the moment Eternal Devotion puts a 20% burning lash onto all damaging cipher spells (most likely a bug)

That's all I can say out of my head. I played a Bleak Walker/Soulblade and it's a great combo.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 3

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I think a Berserker/SoulBlade would work just fine. 

Until we see the full tree we don't know what we give up for being a multi so that might end up with everyone being a single class.

Carnage might not generate focus but so what?, its still free AoE raw damage. A Berserker still has a might, penetration, con and attack speed boost from rage, an on kill attack speed boost, thick skin for better armor, and lots of damage boosts from being bloodied and flanked.

If all you used SoulBlade for was the +40% damage boost, soul annihilation, the weapon penetration passive and the +15 will defense passive that'd all be a nice add to the Berserker. 

If you want primarily a Cipher then Berserker might not be the most optimal but if you want a Berserker with a little something extra then a SoulBlade is a fine mix.

Synergies Paladin/Soulblade:

- FoD: lashes generate focus, so with every FoD attack you generate a ton. You can alter between FoD and Soul Annihilation all day long and do tremendous single target damage. Doesn't really matter that Soul Annihilation is a primary attack only - if you hit with it it's a one-shot most of the time anyway.

- Eternal Devotion: the lash that you keep (20%) helps with Soul Annihilation. When you execute Soul Annihilation you will gain focus from the hit (including the lash bonus) THEN dump all your focus into the raw damage. You don't need max focus before executing SA - actually that's a waste of focus. It's ok if you are halfway there.

- Soul Whip + Biting Whip = +40% additive damage, combined with high MIG (multiplicative) and FoD (lashes als multiplicative) results in awesome damage.

- Zealous Focus: more accuracy and conversion is good for Soul Annihilation because unlike FoD it has no ACC bonus and likes to miss/graze.

- Paladins have a big impact on your sturdyness. Since a Soul Blade has to go into melee fight that is a good thing.

- With Scion of Flame and Hammering Thoughts FoD gets +2 PEN. Together with Soul Annihilation (that doesn't care too much about AR because it's raw damage) you can take a low PEN but high dmg weapon and still be on the safe side when it comes to AR penetration.

- A lot of great support abilities from two pools

- Pain Link + Sacred Immolation = auto AoE ouch I guess (later, not beta material)

- Borrowed Instincts + Faith & Conviction + Deep Faith = nigh invincible defenses and godly ACC bonus - +40 with FoD!

- Sworn Enemy + Recall Agony = really ouchy on tough single targets

- At the moment Eternal Devotion puts a 20% burning lash onto all damaging cipher spells (most likely a bug)

That's all I can say out of my head. I played a Bleak Walker/Soulblade and it's a great combo.

Everything he said. You can wreck face with SB/BW. 

Psyblade(Devoted/Soulblade) seems to be a better choice for me. Although Carnage doesn't generate focus, fighter is the best melee aoe dealer now, so you just use Charge or Clear out as a starter to generate focus and then repeat between SA and cleave.

Charge -> Full focus -> Soul Annihilation -> Cleave -> Full focus -> Soul Annihilation -> ....

Also killing multiple enemies will give Soulblade very high focus maximum, which results in super high damage SA.

Conquerer stance + Discipline Strike helps SA to land.

Conquerer stance + Borrowed Instinct = +30 acc when > 50% hp, +30 deflection < 50%hp.

Lower their Guard + Devoted + Hammering Thoughts = mega penetration bonus.

Unbending, unbreakable helps soulblade to stand in melee fights.

Edited by dunehunter

I think a Berserker/SoulBlade would work just fine. 

Until we see the full tree we don't know what we give up for being a multi so that might end up with everyone being a single class.

Carnage might not generate focus but so what?, its still free AoE raw damage. A Berserker still has a might, penetration, con and attack speed boost from rage, an on kill attack speed boost, thick skin for better armor, and lots of damage boosts from being bloodied and flanked.

If all you used SoulBlade for was the +40% damage boost, soul annihilation, the weapon penetration passive and the +15 will defense passive that'd all be a nice add to the Berserker. 

If you want primarily a Cipher then Berserker might not be the most optimal but if you want a Berserker with a little something extra then a SoulBlade is a fine mix.

In previous patches berserk let you use Mind Blades jumps on single enemy targets provided you were willing to get hit with it yourself (and get closer to Blooded); but now non-confused Mind Blades jumps will keep hitting a single target. Since berserk Mind Blades will jump to allies, it's not good unless you want to kill them. However if Mind Blades reverts back it could be an okay combination.

Berserk confusion lets you cast foe-only spells like Phantom Foes and Psychovampiric Shield on allies, so at higher levels you should be able to use Borrowed Instinct too (for an almost guaranteed hit with a character who has minimal defense against it).

You can also use any ally-target only spell on an enemy, which generally isn't as good as using it on an ally (since spells like Soul Shock and Ectopsychic Echo don't hit the target even when confused), but gives a bit of versatility.

Barbarian does have a bunch of melee-only abilities that increase weapon DPS and soul annihillation is melee only so there's a little bit of built-in synergy. And Blooded (and sometimes Wilder Hunter) should multiply Soul Annihilation damage. 

How much damage does Soul Annihilation do per point of Focus?

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

As I said before: Soul Annihilation generates its own focus before dumping it into raw damage. So it's totally fine to use SA with 5 focus and do decent damage.

Besides that: show me another cipher power that can deal 100-200 instant raw damage with the use of 40 focus and short casting time.

• Like 2

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods