Gilded Enmity not stacking with Robust

KDubya

Question

Gilded Enmity is the Goldpact paladins special sworn enemy it adds +4 armor until target killed or you take damage.

The upgraded "Greater Lay on hands" adds the "Robust" Inspiration for +5 Con, healing and +4 armor.

When both are active you only get +4 armor not +8 armor.

Feature or Bug?

8 answers to this question

It doesn't seem to make a lot of sense for it not to stack with Hardy.

I understand two different effects that bestow Hardy wouldn't stack, but a Goldpact Knight's Sworn Enemy just adds a non-denominational +4 Armor Rating. It's absolutely unobvious that they wouldn't stack.

As it stands, Goldpact Knight/Berserker is a worse solution than any other Paladin order/Berserker combination.

• Like 1

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Gilded enmity should stack with everything considering you are giving up your auras for this.

According to the latest stream, this will no longer be the case in the upcoming backer beta update.

However, my concern in this case is with internal consistency and clarity of the rules.

You know your stacking rules are good when they're immediately obvious to your players. You know your UI is good when it's informative and unambiguous. If I can learn that a Goldpact Knight/Berserker is a poor choice before I roll one, the UI is doing its job*. Right now, I have to roll one and find myself with two core abilities that don't stack for seemingly no reason in order to learn about it.

*Granted, if this combo was not poorer than other Paladin/Barbarian combos, the game's rules would also be doing theirs.

You can roll a Devoted/Berserker and stack penetration to +7, but you can't roll a Goldpact Knight/Berserker and stack Armor Rating to +8. This is inconsistent.

As Boeroer says, everything should stack unless it's the same Inspiration or Affliction. The Goldpact Knight's non-denominational bonus should stack with Hardy and Robust.

Then we can discuss balance if we think it's too powerful—after we've tested it, that is. But we need the UI to be unambiguous and the rules to be consistent.

Edited by AndreaColombo
  • Like 1

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Hmmm on the other hand, if Gilded Enemy stack with Hardy, we will see a lot Goldpact/Berserker running around naked but have super high armor, not a bad thing, but funny :)

I personally rather Gilded Enemy works like beetle shell but moveable. So it absorbs certain amount of damage before breaks, sounds cooler to me.

Damage absorbing is easier to control too, they can make it scale with power level more easily.

Edited by dunehunter