No more stat checks set arbitrarily high because they appear late in the game?

I mean, POE1 has a 19 perception attribute check to notice that someone drank something quickly. Really that should be more like... 8.

Well-rounded characters should expect a well-rounded handful of dialogue rewards throughout the game, not all of them early on and none of them later.

• Like 7

Yes, hopefully stat-based checks will be relatively rare in PoE2. Might checks can be replaced with Athletics, &c.

Well traps are stat checks. There will be lots of those. Not sure how i feel about that. Maybe it should check perception or mechanics. So this way you have a way to check for traps and avoid without mechanics but you can do the traditional mechanics build also. This seems like a little issue because stats dont increase like skills so are trap later going to get harder even though i have the same 16 in perception i started the game with. It just seems wierd may not be an issue.

Edited by draego

I'd argue for contrary and put most of the stat check requirements very high from the start. After all, they are supposed to be actions that require something special from the person performing them. Mediocrity doesn't need special attention, there's plenty of that going around already.

I'd argue for contrary and put most of the stat check requirements very high from the start. After all, they are supposed to be actions that require something special from the person performing them. Mediocrity doesn't need special attention, there's plenty of that going around already.

Fair point, just bear in mind the Deadfire Backer Beta has a numerical value stat sheet showing you what numbers mean on the "normal" scale.  A 13 in a stat is by their own definition "legendary".  So a check requiring a 19 in a stat is pretty insane by that standard.

Just for reference straight from the Deadfire character creation screen:

38612010122_2a78be4be3_o.png

Yes, hopefully stat-based checks will be relatively rare in PoE2. Might checks can be replaced with Athletics, &c.

Yes, i really hope stat based checks will be done-away with in favour of the new skills. Athletics for strength-based checks especially, a wizard with a high might score and no training athletics shouldn't be physically stronger than a barbarian with a low might score and maxed athletics.

Fair point, just bear in mind the Deadfire Backer Beta has a numerical value stat sheet showing you what numbers mean on the "normal" scale.  A 13 in a stat is by their own definition "legendary".  So a check requiring a 19 in a stat is pretty insane by that standard.

Haven't seen this before, thanks. That's very interesting because it gives a frame to abilities when there was none previously. Does this mean Deadfire has less potential to up your ability points temporary than PoE1 did? Because I think my barbarian had at times a might score of 30+ or something silly like that with the right buffs.

If 19 points in an attribute is divine.... then what does a score of 30 imply?! :blink:  Divine among the divine?

Obsidian has sure went out of their way to change the perception of the attributes, since in the dnd games a 10 score in an attribute was considered average. I mean they haven't actually changed the gameplay mechanics behind the attributes yet they for whatever reason find it necessary to redefine the perception of said system. Perhaps people wasn´t keen on lowering a statistic below 10 due to being sub par and obsidian somehow considered his an issue?

Regardless of the reason i will be sure to keep this in mind whenever my character performs a successful attribute check in order to gain a perspective of just how awesome my character is :dancing:

Edited by Tanos

Haven't seen this before, thanks. That's very interesting because it gives a frame to abilities when there was none previously. Does this mean Deadfire has less potential to up your ability points temporary than PoE1 did? Because I think my barbarian had at times a might score of 30+ or something silly like that with the right buffs.

You can start the game with 20 Might still if you pick the right race/background.

According to that stats sheet a lion in POE1 has

Divine Might (20)

Legendary Constitution, Perception, Dexterity, (18, 17, 17)

Amazing Resolve (12)

Average Intellect (8 )

I think they should probably change that for

- piss poor (0-3)

- poor (4-8 )

- average (9-12)

- good (13-18)

- amazing (19+)

It's way more representative of the game stats distributions.

Edited by morhilane
  • Like 2

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

Sawyer said in a talk he gave on developing the attributes that in beta they tried starting everything at 1, and every point after was a bonus. Mathematically it is the same as what we have now, but people just prefer feeling penalized for taking a dump stat. Or rather it reduces the urge to min/max.

Edited by PugPug
  • Like 1