Grieving Mother (which weapon for her) - I experiment some problems with her AI

Hello, 

I am a fan of the Grieving mother so I like to have her in my party, but I have a problem with her AI, i tried a lot of different type of weapons (all ranged weapon by he way), and if the weapon is not enough powerful to fill the focus in one shot, she don't use high rank spells (probably because she don't have enough focus), but if give her a powerful weapon with high damage (rifle, arbalest), she don't cast spells because she spent her time reloading (I have the gunner talent and using "Good Friend" crossbow for now...

So how could I get the best from her (from ranged attack if possible), or may be this character is better suit for melee attack ?..

I am open to anything..

I would appreciate any advise, 

Thanks

Ps : I should specify, my Grieving mother have all the talents which improve her focus ;)

Edited by fced

Pillars of Eternity PS4 - RPG fan - Native language French, so please forgive my poor English speaking ...

I would be interested to know which weapon you have put in the hands of your Grieving Mother, and why ...

I gave her a bow but I am not very happy with it, because I don't manage her very much, and the AI don't take the time to fill entirely the focus before casting her spell, it fire as soon as there is enough focus..

Thanks

Pillars of Eternity PS4 - RPG fan - Native language French, so please forgive my poor English speaking ...

To be perfectly honest, if you're not going to micro her powers don't bother using her at all.  The value of a cipher comes almost entirely from pinpoint use of CC, and if you're turning on the AI to spam that randomly you'd be better off with virtually any other class.

yes, I think you are right... the Cipher need to be managed a lot more than the other (which need also to be managed)...

Using the AI is not easy in that game, because if I manually click an enemy the game don't interrupt the casting to launch a physical attack, it is like if the AI had priority on my orders...

I would have preferred to have a priority over the AI (use the AI, but use a physical attack when I manage the character)...

To be perfectly honest, if you're not going to micro her powers don't bother using her at all.  The value of a cipher comes almost entirely from pinpoint use of CC, and if you're turning on the AI to spam that randomly you'd be better off with virtually any other class.

You are so right.. the Grieving Mother seem to need to be managed a lot more than the other (which need also to be managed)...

Using the AI is not easy in that game, because if I manually click an enemy the game don't interrupt the casting to launch a physical attack, it is like if the AI had priority on my orders...

I would have preferred to have a priority over the AI (use the AI, but use a physical attack when I manage the character)...

But seeing her stats, what should be best for her, melee or ranged ? Powerful ranged weapon are made for a rogue which have specials abilities to increase the rate of fire/reload (like Sagani have), something tell me she would be better in melee (most of her spells are short range)..

Any advice ?  

Edited by fced

• 1 month later...

It depends on who else is in the party.  I don't remember the name of the weapon.  But if you don't have a ranger in your party, the Soulbound hunting bow is excellent for GM.  However, if you do have a Ranger in the party for the long haul, that bow should probably be in their hands since it's more powerful in the hands of a ranger than a cipher.  But even used by a Cipher it's pretty nasty.

*Shrug* I ran her with a Dagger (the OP soulbound one that you need to grind through, unlabored blade) and small shield (little savior). Probably not the most optimal choice, but i liked it.

I also had her use a Scepter (the superb one that knocks people prone from the dragon's hoard) as a second loadout in case i needed her to stay at range.

I give her Firebrand and skill Veteran's Recovery, Weapon Focus <whatever my backup weapon is>, Scion of Flame, Two Handed Style, Biting Whip, Draining Whip, Apprentice's Sneak Attack, Savage Attack

Then I'll skill survival 10 + Jack of Wide Waters or Sanguine Plate or that bandana (+2 survival) for +20% flanking damage (getting to 18 for +30% is too much fuzz in my opinion). I'll put on an item with flanking bonus (like Glanfathan Stalking Boots or Crossed Patch or Vengiatta Rugia).

Then I'll use Phantom Foes to trigger flanked and try to stuck/paralyze a group of foes (if there are too many or they have high defenses) and then attack with Firebrand. It outputs ridiculous dmg numbers that way with all the dmg bonuses and the high base damage and generates a lot of focus:

+15% from Appr. Sneak

+15% from Two Handed Style

+30% from Flanked

+20% from Savage Attack

+20% from Scion of Flame

+20% from Soul Whip

+20% from Biting Whip

+45% from Damaging III

---------------------------------

= +195% damage without MIG per hit

+100% from Annihilating

= +295% damage without MIG per crit

with a base damage of avg. 25 that's an average damage per hit of 74 dmg and per crit it's 99 burn damage. MIG would come on top. 16 MIG would add 4.5 dmg per damage roll for example. With a high dmg roll the numbers would be a lot higher of course, this is only the average.

Since ciphers don't have any Full Attacks I like to play the melee ones with two handers mostly because usually one swing is enough to get the focus for another CC use.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

She needs a lot of micro-management. Never leave it to the A.I.

I used her with Long Bow and armour penetrating shot. Never felt strapped for focus. Her skill that boosts her accuracy(Borrowed Instincts?) just makes her bananas, to be honest. I think she was part of my most stompy composition. 

IP5ok2U.png

m0x5eY5.pngtBxm170.png

She needs a lot of micro-management. Never leave it to the A.I.

I used her with Long Bow and armour penetrating shot. Never felt strapped for focus. Her skill that boosts her accuracy(Borrowed Instincts?) just makes her bananas, to be honest. I think she was part of my most stompy composition. 

Agreed, given how Ciphers general CC shines we'd need some skynet-level AI to be on the same page as the player.