Now that the graphics are so much better why can't we have portraits be of the actual player model. 

I always hate having to choose a portrait that doesn't look like my character, so I would love if we could just take an in-game picture and have that as the portrait. 

• Like 1

Can't you take a screenshot of your character and turn it into a portrait I'd you really want this?

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

^yeahthat

I like the painted portraits.

Not against the option of using a 3d-model capture - but if it'd be too much effort to implement, the old 'prtscn' button and a quick edit in GIMP is easy enough.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

I've yet to find a game where a 3D portrait looks better graphically, shows a better expression or gives a better overall impression of the character than a hand painted portrait. POE2 is not there yet either.

Personally, if I find ingame portraits lacking I either find a custom one from the internet or headcanon another character whom would fit one of the ingame's portraits.

• Like 2

It’s difficult to find a fitting custom portrait as well.

There are so many fantasy art images on the net, that you can find anything nowadays.

It takes time to find the right one, but the game ain't out yet. So plenty of time to start collecting.

Here is an old poe portrait thread you can start looking through

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/71722-the-custom-portraits-thread/

I've yet to find a game where a 3D portrait looks better graphically, shows a better expression or gives a better overall impression of the character than a hand painted portrait.

Agreed. Now, if they were animated portraits, then sure, maybe 3D would do best. But just a still shot to capture a character's... ehh... "essence" sounds really artsy, but essentially that for lack of a better word... 2D cannot be beat, as you're purely creating the image for that one shot, and not creating it for full 3D animation.

Man... how cool would it be to get animated sprite portraits like the main character (what's his name... Blastowitz?) from the original Wolfenstein 3D? You know... the more damaged he got, the more it showed on his portrait. And he cringed when he got damaged, etc. Hehe. Infeasible, I'm sure, but that would rock!

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Man... how cool would it be to get animated sprite portraits like the main character (what's his name... Blastowitz?) from the original Wolfenstein 3D? You know... the more damaged he got, the more it showed on his portrait. And he cringed when he got damaged, etc. Hehe. Infeasible, I'm sure, but that would rock!

Well, Planescape: Torment did it. Was looking not half bad either back in the day. Wasn't using characters models though, cuz they were just tiny sprites :).

Also, in Dragon Age: Inquisition they used several hand painted portraits for each character - damaged and undamaged. I'd love something like that for POE, but that's double the work for artists, not sure it's feasible because there are so many portraits in POE.

• Like 1