COMPILATION THREAD - balance, classes, feedback, game mechanics

dam

This post contains links to existing threads about class balance, mechanics changes and early feedback.

This post is not meant for actual discussion of these topics, only to redirect you there.

CLASSES

- chanters

- ciphers and another thread about ciphers, in the non-beta forum

- multiclassing guide (video, weeee)

- monks (and  the lack of unarmed attack weapon proficiency)

priests (and upcoming update, no more restricted spells, bonus spells based on deity !)

- rangers

- rogues

wizards

GAME MECHANICS

- action speed

- afflictions (old thread, newer thread)

backstabbing

- combat speed (and the removal of slowmo)

culture (and bonus stat point)

- damage calculation (for clarification purposes, this is a bug report, please do NOT spam this thread, open a new one if needed), and other formula

- difficulty (in the game's current state)

- engagement (and disengagement attacks, and the mechanic's usefulness)

- general talents (and their removal, and their possible return)

- health vs health + endurance

- injuries, thug life

- injury system overhaul

- penetration (and upcoming changes to it)

- racial traits (and clarification on affliction resistance)

- spell casting in general

- traps

MISCELLANEOUS

- beta best builds (powergame the hell out of this)

- beta worst builds (powergame reverse mode)

- console commands (it's not really cheating, right... ?)

- custom portraits (kay so it's a pinned topic but hey, you're reading this... , Aramintai seems to be open to custom requests if you ask nice and sweet)

- mod to add gold, and items on the merchant

- training dummies (how to spawn one with the console)

- walk toggle ( 'cause RP and implementation !)

SUGGESTIONS

- todo: compile list of suggestions which have received the most reactions/feedback

If you've started or seen a thread about this or that particular class (or multiclass), please do tell, that I may add it :)

Edited by dam
  • Like 8

Heh, I forgot a thread of my own (no shameless plug), about difficulty:

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/94681-its-not-you-its-the-current-beta-on-difficulty/

I imagine that this thread may become interesting and useful along the way, when new patches get released.

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Iirc the full list of inspirations wasn't posted yet, so here it is:

sBnspDp.png

EDIT: Fixed typo in MIGHT (old img), and since this post is still occasionally being linked to, adding the updated list for v1.2.2 (22 july 2018):

60FhM0F.png

Edited by MaxQuest
  • Like 14

Erm... Why do you need Concentration if you can't get interrupted anyways (looking at you, Courageous)?

Technically concentration is now discreet. One charge would eat one interruption. While during courageous you could ignore all interruptions, nevertheless of their amount.

But yeah, something is feeling redundant)

We need a thread to discuss balance of Inspiration for sure, as the Tier 3 Int Inspiration and Tier 3 Con affliction are unfamiliar to me :)

Afaik Brilliant, Enfeebled, Resolute and Energized are not associated to any spell or ability in the current beta.

Have found them in the game files.

• 4 weeks later...

EDIT: I had posted here the damage formula found by MaxQuest in beta version 2.

Now in Beta version 4 a different formula is used.

I have posted the new damage formula in a new post in this thread.

I do not know if the formula of MaxQuest was correct in beta version 2 and they changed the formula or if he made a mistake.

In any case we have to thank him a lot for many things, in this case for finding out that negative damage modifiers get inverted.

Edited by Madscientist

MaxQuest also found the action speed formula:

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/95847-attackaction-speed-thread/

Its the first post in this thread and its really complicated, so the link should be enough.

MaxQuest had also a table with all weapons (damage, penetration, speed, weapon specific bonus, what the profiency modal does, . . . ), similar to the stat effect table he posted above.

I would like to post it as well, but I cannot find it at the moment.

MaxQuest, oh grand master of game mechanics :bow:, would you please grant your infinite knowledge to the dump masses and post the table here too.

• Like 1

The blights are 1H ;)

EDIT: Whoa, the elemental claws need help! I like the Fuy's concept, but if the weapon is that bad (and counts as 2H to boot, instead of DW!), there really is no point in playing one.

EDIT II:

ZOMG! https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/959152394692001792

Edited by AndreaColombo
  • Like 1

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Blights + one handed weapon = 

ROFL:ROFL:ROFL:ROFL
         _^___
 L    __/   [] \
LOL===__        \
 L      \________]
         I   I
        --------/
  • Like 3

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

^That's what I like about the blights right now. I can DW them with a melee weapon and fire at speed. Let's not advertise it too much or they'll take that away from us :p

• Like 1

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus