You did WHAT Today

Blarghagh

Rather, what did I see today:

Early this morning. The first snow of the season.

Thin sugary, frosty coat on everything in the garden.

A pheasant rooster and his harem of eight chickens frenetically pecking windfalls.

Bits of pear and apple peels got stuck on their piercing beaks,

and they had become a bit tipsy from the old fruit.

Reeling, they left meandering tracks in the melting white blanket. 

No flying away this time from our cats.

Magpies warning chatter fell on deaf ears.

But the pheasants have been pounced so many times,

and nothing bad ever happens,

so they waddled to the tall-grassed field with impunity.

• Like 4

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

We haven’t had snow for several years now... I’m telling you, if elections were in winter, the greens wouldn’t need to bother campaigning.

Everybody knows the deal is rotten

Old Black Joe's still pickin' cotton

For your ribbons and bows

And everybody knows

Me: "Tired of corded headphones, but everything for sale seems to be BluTooth now and my PC isn't."

Hubby: "There's USB Bluetooth adapters."

Me: "Oh really? Can you show/tell me what to buy?"

Hubby: "I have a bunch from work+cheap headphones you can use to test with until you find ones you prefer."

Next morning: Still plastic-box-wrapped USB thingie/headphones tossed on the kitchen table.

I swear half the time it's like he's a magician pulling freebie doodads out of his hat. :cat:

• Like 2
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Had a moment of despair at work as a client said they forgot everything I explained to them in a 3 hour call on a process.  Luckily my burnout overrode such emotion

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving here in the US. The VFW is having a big dinner for all it's members. But I have to bring something. I'm looking at what I have here and scratching my head. The one thing I have a lot of is acorn squash. I do make a killer acorn squash soup. But I'm going to need 2 big stock pots to make enough to be worth the trouble, I have to drive in to Covington and go to WalMart or something. Ugh. Walmart the day before Thanksgiving. I'd rather be staked to the ground and eaten by ants.

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Found out that all emails to clients have to be reviewed by the team before they are sent. Not sure why this improves anything but there you go. Why I always snicker when I hear someone jerking off to the glory of the private sector and its efficiency.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Sounds like the company has some serious trust issues with their hirelings.

Or just has a fetish for process.

i got locked out of my house today. i went out to get some wood from the storage to get the fireplace ready for tonight and i usually leave the kitchen window unlocked when i'm around the house and i double check on the keys to make sure this does not happen. today however i did neither for some strange reason and i just got out as usual, only to find that i couldn't get back in. good thing it's a warm day... the nights are freezing cold though.

after unsuccesfuly trying for over an hour to pick the lock with a makeshift lockpick i gave up and went to my uncle's house to ask him to call a locksmith. fortunately my uncle has some knowledge on lockpicking and proper tools and managed to open the door for me so he saved me 20 to 50 euros

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

Coincidentally, I got locked out of my house yesterday, too! I went to check the mail, which I never do, and closing the door behind me revealed that the doorknob was somehow locked. No jacket, and wearing slippers but luckily my garage door keypad worked (usually has dead batteries). I would have been sitting on the stoop freezing for hours otherwise.

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone in the US. Happy Thursday everyone else. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Coincidentally, I got locked out of my house yesterday, too! I went to check the mail, which I never do, and closing the door behind be revealed that the doorknob was somehow locked. No jacket, and wearing slippers but luckily my garage door keypad worked (usually has dead batteries). I would have been sitting on the stoop freezing for hours otherwise.

Is why I never go outside without my keys.,

Maybe you were pulling instead of pushing ? 

• Like 1

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!  Thanksgiving is, IMHO, the best holiday, since it has the best aspect of Christmas (getting together with family you don't usually see and sharing time and a big meal) without the worst aspect of Christmas (the pressure to spend lavishly on everyone so that corporations around the world can get even richer).  This year I won't be able to do the giant family get together as in years past because we're all too far away and I have to work tomorrow (for both my jobs), but I'll still have the 2 best Thanksgiving dishes: mashed potatoes and green bean casserole. 

:wub:

Edit: Also, the MST3K Turkey Day Marathon is on, like always.

:dancing:

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Walked through the city marvelling at, yet enjoying, late stage capitalism. There’s this one shop literally called “buy yourself happy” (“Kauf dich glücklich“) around here.

open-uri20131010-14697-5keahp.jpg

Edited by Ben No.3
  • Like 2

Everybody knows the deal is rotten

Old Black Joe's still pickin' cotton

For your ribbons and bows

And everybody knows

Happy Thanksgiving everyone. I busted my butt cleaning the house for company, and we are putting the turkey in the oven in a little bit. :)

Happy turkey day! Gobble gobble.

Ditto.

No turkey for us, per usual. Too much food for 2 ppl and a cat (not that the cat would mind).

I had wonton w/extra pork slices soup, kimchi/rice, and some ice cream for lunch, however.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Working on the literature review to put in the appendix before submitting an assignment this afternoon. Feeling rather nifty I managed to slip in Person of Interest as a reference cited in the body of the paper, and now justifying it in the aforementioned review. ;)

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Quiet day at work, US markets close early today as well and most clients have the day off.  Want to tear a coworker's face off if he keeps on making jokes about me not drinking, though.

Edited by Malcador