Politics Thread: 13 Ghosts

Blarghagh

Erasing the slavic people and just calling them "white" is super racist.

No, no, that's cultural genocide.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I think half your age + 7 is a generally good metric, at an ancient (almost) 26 I wouldn't want to bother with a girl in high school even if it was legal. Cruising the mall for teenagers in your 30's seems pathetic even without the possible pedophilia.

• Like 3

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Who's we? You're not getting Trump. You're not any part of that.

Plus he'd kick you out as soon as anyone else. He wants the US to build a wall against their own Mexico, why'd you think he'd welcome ours?

Tom Wright raised the possibility that Trump, given his complete delegation of authority to Mattis and co., is totally unaware of the going-ons in the DoD regarding the United States' reinforcement of the Baltics and Poland, and would probably object if he did given his speech in Pensacola. Being cognizant of close to three decades of Trump's antics I've been of the belief that Trump would offer those countries on a sacrificial altar in a heartbeat if it meant more oligarch dollars in his pocket.

Edited by Agiel
  • Like 1
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

Simply that significant parts of Western Europe view Poland the same way significant parts of North America view Mexico: A source of illegal immigrants, criminals and cheap uneducated labor brought over to 'take our jerbs' (when really coorporate toolbags are exploiting them).

You've seriously never heard this? It's a stereotype older than I am, and not entirely without basis.

Oh, and guess what kind of coorporate toolbags do this: https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/11/27/nyregion/trump-tower-illegal-immigrant-workers-union-settlement.html?referer=https://www.google.nl/

Trump 2020

@sharp_one, I didn't mean that as a personal attack, sorry, I meant it like "come on man, I know you're just playing dumb here". Or at least I thought you were playing dumb about his past remarks. Though it's possible you don't know which ones I meant.

Main point is that he's going to own controversial remarks while Senator. It might not affect him, but other politicians will have to respond to stuff he says while Senator.

@Trueneutral: I guess substituting Mexico for Poland might have made that statement a bit confusing.

Edited by smjjames

You've seriously never heard this? It's a stereotype older than I am, and not entirely without basis.

Seriously, even people in North America have heard of the "Polish plumber" anti-immigration line.

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

"But he is still a sexual deviant volo, why are trying to undermine his crimes and his actions?"

I'm not undermining anything. The people who are  calling his crimes/sins one thing when it is something else are undermiinding his crimes and actions. He is a scumbag but  one shouldn't make up lies about what he is actually being accused of. Nobody does anyone any fvaors by doing so. He is scum. We shouldn't be.  Be honest.

But, hey, when someone steal a $5 pack of gum  with a book in their hand I'll just call them an armed  robber and say they are committing the same exact crime/sin as someone who uses  a gun to rob a bank. LMAO

There are different crimes and laws for a reason. Pedohphile is sick and the fact people accuse me of 'white knighting' for  'pedos' just shows how twisted and sick they are to make such a sick and false accusations. Make me wonder why they are so pro pedo that they want to extend the age for it. Next they'll claim a 45 year old dating a 25 year old is 'pedophillia'.  That demans and lessens what pedophilly is.

"this is why we need feminism"

I'm guessing you would shrug your shoulders if a 20 year old woman was dating a 15 year old boy. You know why? You are sexist.

For me, adults shouldn't be dating non adults. And, I don't care if the kid is horny, desperate, pushy, dreamy, or whatever. Be the adult, do the right  and mature thing. Just say no. PERIOD.   

Edited by Volourn
  • Like 1

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"But he is still a sexual deviant volo, why are trying to undermine his crimes and his actions?"

I'm not undermining anything. The people who are calling his crimes/sins one thing when it is something else are undermiinding his crimes and actions. He is a scumbag but one shouldn't make up lies about what he is actually being accused of. Nobody does anyone any fvaors by doing so. He is scum. We shouldn't be. Be honest.

But, hey, when someone steal a $5 pack of gum with a book in their hand I'll just call them an armed robber and say they are committing the same exact crime/sin as someone who uses a gun to rob a bank. LMAO

There are different crimes and laws for a reason. Pedohphile is sick and the fact people accuse me of 'white knighting' for 'pedos' just shows how twisted and sick they are to make such a sick and false accusations. Make me wonder why they are so pro pedo that they want to extend the age for it. Next they'll claim a 45 year old dating a 25 year old is 'pedophillia'. That demans and lessens what pedophilly is.

"this is why we need feminism"

I'm guessing you would shrug your shoulders if a 20 year old woman was dating a 15 year old boy. You know why? You are sexist.

For me, adults shouldn't be dating non adults. And, I don't care if the kid is horny, desperate, pushy, dreamy, or whatever. Be the adult, do the right and mature thing. Just say no. PERIOD.

if I recall correctly, I was talking about 16/30 years. And no, that wouldn’t be justifiable for women either. I am under the impression though that it happens significantly more often to women.

Everybody knows the deal is rotten

Old Black Joe's still pickin' cotton

For your ribbons and bows

And everybody knows

@sharp_one, I didn't mean that as a personal attack, sorry, I meant it like "come on man, I know you're just playing dumb here". Or at least I thought you were playing dumb about his past remarks. Though it's possible you don't know which ones I meant.

Main point is that he's going to own controversial remarks while Senator. It might not affect him, but other politicians will have to respond to stuff he says while Senator.

Well of course I wouldn't know which ones you meant if you don't say which ones you meant, duh :grin:

However I respect that you are anti Moore based on his politics that you don't support, which is fine, and not based on fairy tale stories. Stories fabricated by the left because they cannot win on the basis of merits.

Calling it "Europe's Mexico" isn't my gag or anything, it's a well known nickname for Poland.

Cool story, reported.

as in, reported the post?

Why do you hate free speech?

And everybody knows

Well of course I wouldn't know which ones you meant if you don't say which ones you meant, duh :grin:

However I respect that you are anti Moore based on his politics that you don't support, which is fine, and not based on fairy tale stories. Stories fabricated by the left because they cannot win on the basis of merits.

Calling it "Europe's Mexico" isn't my gag or anything, it's a well known nickname for Poland.

Cool story, reported.

We're at a forum with rules. Last time I checked xenophobia is not tolerated.
why do you hate free speech?

Or are you suddenly a full SJW when someone is shaming Poland?

Edited by Ben No.3

And everybody knows

Cool story, reported.

We're at a forum with rules. Last time I checked xenophobia is not tolerated.

typical SJW nazi how dare you expect that rules be enforced on people? EVIL!

• Like 1

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

Ah, see this is an interesting line. Despite our sensitive Polish friend not being able to vote, the fact is a bunch of real people from Alabama will because they believe exactly this. I mean even with quite a few Republican leaders disowning him, and those that support him basically saying policies are Moore important than his past, people are still going to see this as a fairy tale concocted by the evil left. It's comical because I have confidence that the Ethics committee will make short work of him if he is actually elected. 

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2017/12/11/should-conservatives-vote-for-roy-moore.html

Has anyone noticed some odd changes to the posting style of Sharpie in the last few months? I know some of it may just be that he cuts and pastes from other sources, but his grasp of English seems to have changed. Man, every day I miss WoD. :(

• Like 1

Ah, see this is an interesting line. Despite our sensitive Polish friend not being able to vote, the fact is a bunch of real people from Alabama will because they believe exactly this. I mean even with quite a few Republican leaders disowning him, and those that support him basically saying policies are Moore important than his past, people are still going to see this as a fairy tale concocted by the evil left. It's comical because I have confidence that the Ethics committee will make short work of him if he is actually elected. 

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2017/12/11/should-conservatives-vote-for-roy-moore.html

Has anyone noticed some odd changes to the posting style of Sharpie in the last few months? I know some of it may just be that he cuts and pastes from other sources, but his grasp of English seems to have changed. Man, every day I miss WoD. :(

Something went humorously wrong with the bolded sentence.

Regarding the Sharp_one thing about Democrats not being supposedly able to to fight fair against Roy Moore, I'd like to know whose fault is that. Mainly why does Moore have so much support when he has openly stated that things were better in America before the abolition of slavery, votes for colored people, women's suffrage, and Presidential term limits. Even if Jones win, it won't change the fact that almost half of voters will choose this man.

Of course, in many respects, this is just Trump all over again. I don't understand how American society isn't curling up in shame.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Because US presidents are not elected for life like Europe. In 2020 someone else will be president, and they will have some ideas that you support and we will all go "HUZZAH!" until there is an idea we do not support and then they will be a bum too. Its the circle of life. :yes: Just dont get too wound up in the mean time.

Something went humorously wrong with the bolded sentence.

Regarding the Sharp_one thing about Democrats not being supposedly able to to fight fair against Roy Moore, I'd like to know whose fault is that. Mainly why does Moore have so much support when he has openly stated that things were better in America before the abolition of slavery, votes for colored people, women's suffrage, and Presidential term limits. Even if Jones win, it won't change the fact that almost half of voters will choose this man.

Of course, in many respects, this is just Trump all over again. I don't understand how American society isn't curling up in shame.

It's pure tribalism, unfortunately. I know it sounds like a dumb irrational reason, but that is the driving force behind both Trump and Moore.

Because US presidents are not elected for life like Europe. In 2020 someone else will be president, and they will have some ideas that you support and we will all go "HUZZAH!" until there is an idea we do not support and then they will be a bum too. Its the circle of life. :yes: Just dont get too wound up in the mean time.

what? There is also 2 terms limit for presidents..

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

“We made too many wrong mistakes.” ― Yogi Berra

The real shame is the lack of voter turnout.  By all accounts the Alabama race is "too close to call" but will have only ~20% voter turnout.

Meaning if Moore (or Jones) wins with a minimal simple majority, he was elected by ~4 thousand people to represent ~4 million.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

“We made too many wrong mistakes.” ― Yogi Berra

The real shame is the lack of voter turnout.  By all accounts the Alabama race is "too close to call" but will have only ~20% voter turnout.

Meaning if Moore (or Jones) wins with a minimal simple majority, he was elected by ~4 thousand people to represent ~4 million.

Off year special elections and midterms generally are low turnout, and yeah, turnout is going to be the major factor.

Also, it's less 'too close to call' and more 'we have no clue because the polls are all over the place'. Nate Silver has a nice primer about the polls https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/what-the-hell-is-happening-with-these-alabama-polls/