Politics Thread: 13 Ghosts

Blarghagh

All the deplorable comment did was piss off a lot of people who hated her anyway.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

The deplorables comment pissed off those who already hated her, yes, but it could very well have shifted those who were more on the fence or were waiting for a good reason to hold their nose and vote Clinton.

There were so many mistakes and other things going on that it's impossible to pin it down to one or two things, it was a whole cluster of factors.

The whole rural/urban divide with the Dems not attracting the rural areas was also a major factor, but Obama won despite that, so, it's really only a portion of the puzzle.

Edited by smjjames

Her basically ignoring Michigan, Ohio and Pennsylvania may have been worse than her deplorable comment. One of the regions where blue collar work could be most responsive to labor opportunities if the dems to put people to work as opposed to stuffing their ivory towers full of more positions.

She went to Ohio and especially Pennsylvania plenty. Less than Trump, but for all his faults Trump was a fantastic and energetic campaigner. Wisconsin (zero visits, heh) and Michigan definitely were ignored or close to though in the end those 2 states alone didn't cost her the election, they just made the loss even more embarrassing.

In some ways her campaigning was actually worse than ignoring them wholesale anyway. Firstly her insistence on staying on safe ground meant that she only reached those 'safe' voters who were always going to vote for her and she probably didn't even reach those who voted for Bernie- securing those votes should have been priority one. Secondly and most importantly she told a good part of the traditional democrat voter base to, essentially, curl up and die or get with the program. Her take was probably more realistic than Trump's promises (and to be honest, Bernie's too) but people in general will always take the hope that something bad won't happen over the promise that it will- and they hate being lectured by some multi millionaire lawyer politician about the 'real world'. It was a truly stupid thing (and time) to choose to be honest about.

Trump did make a good point at one point that he could get large crowds at a rally without resorting to piling on celebrities while Clinton didn't seem to be able to get similar size crowds on her own abilities. So, that may have been an indicator of performance or possibly lack of excitement on the Denocrat side.

Whoever the Democrat nominee is, they're not likely to make all of the same mistakes just because it's a different candidate and different team.

It looks like Kamala Harris is the "chosen one" by the lefties in the Democrat Party. https://www.usnews.com/news/the-report/articles/2017-12-01/kamala-harris-navigates-the-2020-presidential-landscape

Makes sense for them I guess. She is a middle of the road left winger that thinks the government should control or regulate everything that moves. She is of mixed ethnicity which is a plus in that crowd. Anti-second amendment but not entirely anti-business. And she does not have that annoying "think for yourself" independence that they find so irritating in Tusi Gabbard, Jim Webb, and Joe Manchin. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I like Harris in general, but I'd rather she at least finish her Senate term here in California, she just got elected last year after all.

I don't think she's as extreme as you make her out to be though. Then again, you're Libertarian and anything left of right is extreme.

I like Harris in general, but I'd rather she at least finish her Senate term here in California, she just got elected last year after all.

I don't think she's as extreme as you make her out to be though. Then again, you're Libertarian and anything left of right is extreme.

Libertarians are not right wingers by any means. We have as many problems with R's as we do with D's. 

Thomas Sowell

Dems probably should nominate 20+ candidates plus one rich celebrity joke candidate and have lots of idiotic debates to hog press time and it is almost guaranteed that their joke candidate will win   :devil:

That sounds strangely familiar...

Thomas Sowell

So Flynn is going to flip on Trump now?

Maybe not Trump, but at least Kushner or perhaps Jr.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Gl hf USA with that new tax bill that the Senate wasn't allowed to read. Good to know the Republicans care enough about their constituents to know what they put through instead of just voting through whatever bullhonkey out of tribalism. :lol:

Well, at least we can finally put the whole "Republicans care about the deficit" nonsense to rest...and then the "Republicans care about states' rights" as well when the FCC royally screws up the internet and makes it so states can't do anything about it. Just crappy excuses for obstructionism when it suits them, nothing more.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 2

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

I mean, Marco Rubio (a Republican senator) revealed a few days ago that the end-game of increasing the deficit was so that they can cut medicare and social security. A libertarian ploy sounds better than that.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

That's what they want you to think. :lol:

I think it's far more likely libertarians are still trying to figure out what the **** a leppo is and watching fat guys doing strip teases.

34C3AD6E00000578-3615810-image-a-4_14645

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I mean, Marco Rubio (a Republican senator) revealed a few days ago that the end-game of increasing the deficit was so that they can cut medicare and social security. 

Uhh... source? Because that sounds suspiciously like some Cobra Commander level bull****.

• Like 2

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

I mean, Marco Rubio (a Republican senator) revealed a few days ago that the end-game of increasing the deficit was so that they can cut medicare and social security. 

Uhh... source? Because that sounds suspiciously like some Cobra Commander level bull****.

http://www.latimes.com/business/hiltzik/la-fi-hiltzik-gop-social-security-20171130-story.html

I do not believe those were the exact words, but that seems about right.

That's it close the thread. Aluminiumtrioxid wins!

Thomas Sowell