Find traps?

wanderon

Noted that the post announcing Beta mentions that trap finding is now based on Perception and not mechanics but am not seeing how it works - Main is Beastmaster (Shifter) perception 14 - party rogue is Orlan perception 14 (mechanics 2) - party travels in stealth (plus stop and go to allow traps to be found)  in danger areas but never finds a trap until it goes off ???

Any insight or suggestions?

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

Not all those that wander are lost...

I don't know. My current character has Perception 18 IIRC, and she finds almost all traps inside those ruins, for instance, but IIRC. there is one or two that she still walked into.

Higher value is enough. A bit hard work, though. Since each detection means I have to switch to rogue, who'll attempt to disarm them.

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

If I'm not mistaken the floor traps in Poko Kahara requires Perception 15 on the first floor and Perception 16 on the second floor to detect them. I think there's some magic traps in a hallway as well which require even higher Perception to detect, but none of my characters had higher than 16, so not sure what the requirement for those are. 

I feel like having points in Mechanics should also contribute to detection as well. Like every 2 or 3 points of Mechanics is equivalent to an extra point in Perception only for the purposes of detecting Traps. As currently the Perception requirements seem quite high and traps really do a number on you with the instant Injury status.

Edited by Enduin
  • Like 2

Indeed since perception is only increased by items and one assumes it will be like POE1 where usually only the highest item works (others are surpressed) it seems there should be a way to increase your ability to find traps over the course of the game.

I guess I could toy with a dwarf with high con and heavy plate and just send him ahead and make sure he rests often enough not to die setting them off?  :disguise:

• Like 1

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

Not all those that wander are lost...

Traps often give the unfortunate victim an injury, so it's not just some damage to shrug off. You need resting and food to fix the victim, and IIRC, I have cases where injured guys won't get healed, despite my giving them food before I push that rest button.

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Traps often give the unfortunate victim an injury, so it's not just some damage to shrug off. You need resting and food to fix the victim, and IIRC, I have cases where injured guys won't get healed, despite my giving them food before I push that rest button.

Yeah I had this happen to me once on one of my earlier playthroughs. It looked like the resting menu kept the same foods that I had use before but despite still having those foods in my inventory and them appearing in a few character's slots they did not get healed. 

• Like 1

Yeah I had this happen to me once on one of my earlier playthroughs. It looked like the resting menu kept the same foods that I had use before but despite still having those foods in my inventory and them appearing in a few character's slots they did not get healed. 

This happens to me consistently, I thought it might be a feature, lol.

The traps as they stand now are broken, you should not need 15 perception to see a simple dart trap, especially in a so called "early mid game" area based on player level.  Especially when you consider that springing a trap = 1 wound at minimum, possibly more, and taking even 1 wound seriously impairs a character.

Trap detection should also not be tied to perception when the mechanics description in game says it is tied to mechanics.  It is a beta but jesus, if you knew this wasn't true update it before release.

That said if the original backer beta for Eternity 1 taught me anything, Obsidian intentionally releases the beta overtuned and far too challenging at first then scales down.  The bad builds of your included party members, and the fact that you have way less gear than you would in the real game doesn't help either.  So likely they intentionally made the whole initial release more deadly than it really needs to be.