Well... It nearly doubles your amount of spells per encounter. That is pretty useful.
If they were a bit ~50% faster
Maybe some passive talents to make so idk...
1. Dexterity and +action speed apply to *both* casting time and recovery time. So it's like a double time bonus. Your Mercenary Fighter starts with 2 +50% action speed potions, and there are probably more items like that (maybe even a grimoire with +casting speed).
2. Debilitating/CC and offensive spells can be cast outside of combat, particularly if your party is stealthed. Combat doesn't start until the spell hits. So you get a free first spell (in terms of casting time). And once your enemies are debuffed and CC'd, provided you have high Int, that gives you time to cast your next spell.
3. Priests Seal spells can be cast without initiating combat and without leaving stealth. So Priests (or Priest multiclass) with high enough Int get two free first spells. You can even get the spell back before combat starts, so it really is a free spell.
Edit: Same goes for Conjuror's Wall of Flame. However, sometimes they seem to fizzle out when cast out of combat... they're not visible but they end up affecting enemies who step into them.
4. There are some fast cast spells. Some Wizard spells are only in grimoires, like Arcane Assault (0.5 casting time, level 1).
- Wizards have a bunch of level 1 and level 2 fast casts (0.5 seconds),
and level 4 Dimensional Shift (shockwave)
- Druids have level 2 Burst of Summer Flames and Taste of the Hunt
- Priests (Restore, Suppress Affliction, Withdraw... though these all have high recovery times) and Paladins (lay on hands, auras)
- Druids have level 1 ally AoE +5 Con, not a huge heal but improves fortitude;
and a level 3 spell ally AoE which adds 4 armor and heals 10/second
- lots of wizard spells, including Fleet Feet and Alacrity (sadly alacrity just gives the same +dex bonus as fleet feet and that doesn't stack)
- ciphers have level 4 pain block and level 5 tactical meld
Some spells aren't extremely quick but have 0 recovery (Kakaloth's Minor Blights, Minor Grimoire Imprint).
5. A lot of good spells are 3 second casts.
6. According to the tooltip, Evoker has a 30% chance of Evocation spells having their damage and effects repeated. (From my limited testing this doesn't seem to include Evocation scrolls.)
7. Druid Cat form's special ability grants +33% action speed, which includes spellcasting. So Druids and Wizards with maxxed dex (+27%) can self-buff to significantly reduce spellcasting time without even multiclassing Monk/Barb or using potions/items.
Edited by SaruNi, 24 November 2017 - 12:53 AM.