Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The strongest beta build

• Please log in to reply
235 replies to this topic

dunehunter

dunehunter

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 492 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer

Anyone tried some funny Shadowdancer build? Am thinking about a special build based on Breaking Disengagement attack.

We know monk has ability to +defense against disengagement, would be funny to combo with Rogue Riposte for a build who try to trigger as many as disengagement attack as possible, and riposte enemies to death.

Seems also synergy with Blade of turning and Dance of death well.

Any thought on this build?

SaruNi

SaruNi

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 178 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

On Paladin-Berserkers:

1. The Paladin ability that removes Confused from party members says it requires an *unarmed* attack---is that right? (Aegis of somethingorother). Suggests Paladin-Monk. Berserker-Paladin could do it but at the expense of weapon slot.

2. Berserker Frenzy does DoT to the Berserker, so if it works with Paladin's retribution (+5% dmg on next weapon attack each time you're damaged, stacking up to 5 times) that could be good.

3. Also nice synergy between Bloodlust and Inspiring Triumph (+12 to all defenses after killing).

Incidentally, if a Berserker kills allied summons, does that trigger Bloodlust? So in a party with a Beckoner (maybe throw in Berserker AoE spells)... even if there aren't a bunch of ads, that would allow you to trigger Bloodlust.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7627 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

On Paladin-Berserkers:

2. Berserker Frenzy does DoT to the Berserker, so if it works with Paladin's retribution (+5% dmg on next weapon attack each time you're damaged, stacking up to 5 times) that could be good.

Oh! Nice one! Could also add up nicely with Blooded to an overall damage boost of 50%.

The paladin has a passive that makes him resistant to intellect afflictions. That means that the confuse of the frenzy doesn't get applied.

I wonder if Heart of Fury will be in later. Because I can totally see a game breaking thing with Beckoner/Berserker: summon 6 skeletons (with the upgrade that they split into two lesser versions after death) then trigger friendly-fire HoF. This would generate a quadzillion of (carnage)hits and would make the "Beckserker" great against multiple foes as well as single ones.

Edited by Boeroer, 23 November 2017 - 12:48 AM.

KDubya

KDubya

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1180 posts
  • Deadfire Backer

Cipher-Monks (Transcendent) Shattered Pillar/Soul Blade

Shocking lash from Lightning Strikes applies to Mind Blades.

It also applies the shocking lash to Torment's Reach's cone AoE but Biting Whip does not apply to Torment's AoE but does to the initial target.

Shattered Pillars can gain wounds (cause damage) from using Torment's Reach.

The Transcendent feels pretty cool, doing damage gets you wounds and focus, Soul Whip is a big passive damage boost of 40% so you can keep Might at base and add to intellect or dexterity. Just stick to Cipher powers that have a 3 second cast unless you really want it. In fact don't take many Cipher powers at all and just use the Soul Blade raw damage attack when you need to hurt something. Once they give us weapon styles for non-fighters it'll get better with a 20% increase to attack speed from two weapon style. At higher level Monks get a +4 penetration to all weapons.

Any direct damage type class does well mixed with a Cipher:

-Devoted/Soul Blades hit like trucks with great penetration

-SharpShooter/Beguilers give some pizzazz to Rangers and add some nice illusion debuffs. Plus the Biting whip buff to bows.

Haven't tried the others like Paladin/Cipher, Barbarian/Cipher heck a Wizard/Cipher using self buffs and summoned weapons would hit like a truck, maybe go Ogre/Cipher for style?

P.S. Just tried an Ogre/Cipher, they can use Cipher powers while in Ogre form :)

Edited by KDubya, 23 November 2017 - 01:18 AM.

Climhazzard

Climhazzard

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 503 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer

I feel like lightning strikes affecting stuff like mind blades is unintended, though I hope not because it's pretty cool.  Most multi class options only improve martial classes, having something that improves spells would be sweet.

Edited by Climhazzard, 23 November 2017 - 01:11 AM.

drchocapic

drchocapic

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I feel like lightning strikes affecting stuff like mind blades is unintended, though I hope not because it's pretty cool.  Most multi class options only improve martial classes, having something that improves spells would be sweet.

Yeah, I've noted that as well. Multi-classing monk, rogue or warrior with something else always opens the door to some interesting synergies but multi-classing two "pure" casters together seems to just expand your spellbook without giving much of anything else.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7627 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Well... It nearly doubles your amount of spells per encounter. That is pretty useful.
  • bonarbill likes this

Nail

Nail

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 236 posts
  • Steam:Perebor
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Well... It nearly doubles your amount of spells per encounter. That is pretty useful.

If they were a bit ~50% faster :)

Maybe some passive talents to make so idk...

Edited by Nail, 23 November 2017 - 04:20 AM.

Nail

Nail

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 236 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Seems like there is onlyy one reason to stay single classed, and that's Weapon Proficiency at 19th level...

Still 20 vs 27 abilities, I have doubts this Weapon Proficiency will be powerful enough to cover 7 abilities.

Multiclass > Single-Class

Edit: forgot this is not BG weapon proficiency system :)... it's just lame adding more weapons to activate modals...

So, definitely not worth it...

Empower - not using it as well, beta has no need in it...

There still may be some OP skills for power level 8 - 9, still I don't think they worth such limitations.

Time will tell though.

aeaWmHT.png

Edited by Nail, 23 November 2017 - 04:37 AM.

dam

dam

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 440 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Seems like there is onlyy one reason to stay single classed, and that's Weapon Proficiency at 19th level...

Still 20 vs 27 abilities, I have doubts this Weapon Proficiency will be powerful enough to cover 7 abilities.

Multiclass > Single-Class

aeaWmHT.png

Nope, you also miss out on the 2 last tiers of Power Levels, which means :

- you get more abilities to choose from as a multi-class

but

- those abilities are of a lower tier (and thus, likely, less powerful)

Edit: oh and you also miss out on the passive bonii scaling with power levels (accuracy, penetration, whatever...)

Edited by dam, 23 November 2017 - 04:35 AM.

Nail

Nail

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 236 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Edit: oh and you also miss out on the passive bonii scaling with power levels (accuracy, penetration, whatever...)

Hmm, power level gives you bonuses and not only source for using abilities?

Damn, I'm bad :)

dam

dam

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 440 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Hmm, power level gives you bonuses and not only source for using abilities?

Damn, I'm bad :)

They do aye.

They give spells +pen for wizards, or monks +damage/pen for fists, for example.

I apologize, I only have those two examples in mind right now.

I do encourage you however, to seek out more ;)

kanisatha

kanisatha

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 143 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Unfortunately I didn't take the beta access (don't have much free time). Just wondering, are there any fighter, barbarian or ranger builds (without multi-class) possible that are really powerful? And by really powerful I mean equivalent to the power builds in other classes.

KDubya

KDubya

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1180 posts
  • Deadfire Backer

Unfortunately I didn't take the beta access (don't have much free time). Just wondering, are there any fighter, barbarian or ranger builds (without multi-class) possible that are really powerful? And by really powerful I mean equivalent to the power builds in other classes.

The beta only goes up to level nine so multi-classing is going to be way more powerful than single classes. Single class power will come at gaining access to abilities faster and eventually getting stuff no multi can.

Another benefit of multi classes are that you get two special power sources such as zeal and mortification instead of just one type but a few more uses.

• kanisatha likes this

theBalthazar

theBalthazar

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 508 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Single class in POE2...

...LOL.

+7 talents against +Double core abilities +Double choice in panel +More Power Source (Yes... count again)

VS

+Hypothetical OP Spells/abilities At the very end of the game (16-20) +A big advance over time on better spells/abilities.

-----------

So, the only advantage of single class right now, is the last point. You are "ahead" with "new things". If you have enough options in multiclass to be efficient : it is not sufficient to compensate in single class.

Few ideas :

* Better empower. WHEN I see Nature godlike with +2 power level, you cannot tell me single class can't have a +2 power level with empower (against 1 now ?). It is logical. One class = more perf in this class at the critical moment.

* Special passive/active abilities at the creation for each single classes. A reward to compensate +7 points AP of difference and other core of multiclass.

* More empower per encounter OR/AND more empower per rest.

ETC ETC.

Edited by theBalthazar, 23 November 2017 - 07:23 AM.

• Answermancer and KDubya like this

dam

dam

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 440 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Single class in POE2...

...LOL.

+7 talents against +Double core abilities +Double choice in panel +More Power Source (Yes... count again)

VS

+Hypothetical OP Spells/abilities At the very end of the game (16-20) +A big advance over time on better spells/abilities.

-----------

So, the only advantage of single class right now, is the last point. You are "ahead" with "new things". If you have enough options in multiclass to be efficient : it is not sufficient to compensate in single class.

Few ideas :

* Better empower. WHEN I see Nature godlike with +2 power level, you cannot tell me single class can't have a +2 power level with empower (against 1 now ?). It is logical. One class = more perf in this class at the critical moment.

* Special passive/active abilities at the creation for each single classes. A reward to compensate +7 points AP of difference and other core of multiclass.

* More empower per encounter OR/AND more empower per rest.

ETC ETC.

And that is different from multi-classes in Infinity Engine games how, exactly ? ;)

I, for one, think you guys are much too quick to judge and to discard single classes.

This isn't Obsidian's first RPG, you'll see :)

• Dr <3 likes this

AndreaColombo

AndreaColombo

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3549 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Could you put the DPS stats of them? hits/crits as well... I am kinda curious :)

Here's the summary:

ODNCFhd.png

Note that Berserker has the most damage taken because he was wearing the lightest armor on the team.

Watcher was a Devoted/Helwalker.

The highest single-target damage does belong to the Devoted/Soulblade, but it's actually closer to 140-150 from an Empowered Soul Annihilation. For some reason, the record sheet didn't pick that one up.

A few notes from my game:

• Devoted/Helwalker is really good; about as good as Devoted/Shattered Pillar. It really comes down to whether you prefer a more active or passive play style (Helwalker being the passive option.)
  • Devoted/Soulblade is perfect for taking down priority targets quickly, as Soul Annihilation one-shots most enemies.
  • Shifter/Helwalker is a killing machine. You could make a similar killing machine with Shifter/Shattered Pillar if you preferred a more active play style. Swift Strikes + Spiritshift (Cat) makes you deal a boatload of damage with very short recovery.
  • Devoted/Berserker is a very good combo which I suspect will shine brighter on Path of the Damned due to Carnage. The two classes have a lot of good synergies. In this party, the activation time of Frenzy meant the Devoted/Berserker was always the last one to join the fray so he didn't get as much action (but when he did, he was pretty strong.)

Edited by AndreaColombo, 23 November 2017 - 09:49 AM.

dam

dam

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 440 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Levels 16-20 = 20 % of the duration of the game with -hypothetical- game breaker spells.

Except if like POE1 you max your level long before. In this case Single class can enjoy of its particularity a little more.

There is also a slight advance to progression. To test... (After all, the beta is to detriment of single class :  low level, little difference)

Frankly, I hope they will be more inspired than the spells they produced for the 12-16 of White March... Because I did not -never- use any, I think, from memory. (Perhaps twin arrows L13 and substantial phantom ? No more)

No Wall of many colors ?

No Llengrath's warding staff ?

No Major Grimoire Imprint ? (as in, steal three level EIGHT spells from an enemy spellcaster, level EIGHT seven ^^', SPAMMABLE FOR FREE FOR THE WHOLE DURATION).

Man, you've missed out on the whole game until you've tried those.

The - whole - game.

Edited by dam, 23 November 2017 - 11:57 AM.

theBalthazar

theBalthazar

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 508 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

No Wall of many colors ?

No Major Grimoire Imprint ? (as in, steal three level EIGHT spells from an enemy spellcaster, level EIGHT, SPAMMABLE FOR FREE FOR THE WHOLE DURATION).

Man, you've missed out on the whole game until you've tried those.

The - whole - game.

I tried obviously. But there is better spells to inferior level. It is all. So, after that, there is not -superior- valors at these level to use them. Simple.

I don't say all was bull****. I say : Spells at level 16-20 MUST be Very very effective to compensate their late arrival.

More effective than level 12-16 spells of POE1 in the first game.

Because these spells was equivalents or less than certain spells at lower levels.

The difference is: spells at level 12-16 has an efficiency in POE1 (I don't say there was totally useless when used). But no ... They must be MORE effective this time !^^ If not Single class keep nothing.

Edited by theBalthazar, 23 November 2017 - 09:51 AM.

dam

dam

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 440 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

No Wall of many colors ?

No Major Grimoire Imprint ? (as in, steal three level EIGHT spells from an enemy spellcaster, level EIGHT, SPAMMABLE FOR FREE FOR THE WHOLE DURATION).

Man, you've missed out on the whole game until you've tried those.

The - whole - game.

I tried obviously. But there is better spells to inferior level. It is all. So, after that, there is not -superior- valors at these level to use them. Simple.

I don't say all was bull****. I say : Spells at level 16-20 MUST be Very very effective to compensate their late arrival.

More effective than level 12-16 spells of POE1.

Because these spells was equivalents or less than certain spells at lower levels.

The difference is: spells at level 12-16 has an efficiency in POE1. But no ... They must be MORE effective this time !^^

I get your point of view, and I agree that top tier abilities should make enough of a difference that one is willing to sacrifice multiclassing to pick them.

I just cannot agree with your opinion that top tier spells in POE1 blew though.

Major Grimoire Imprint, seriously, gamebreaking.

I cannot think of an example of another ability that has such a strong impact on a fight, except for un-nerfed Petrification which applied a 400% damage taken debuff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users