Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The strongest beta build

• Please log in to reply
235 replies to this topic

morhilane

morhilane

Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 784 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

The only problem with berserker actually is the spellcaster time. 6 seconds.

That's what makes Berserker/Paladin so good. Once you get Mental Fortress the Confusion is completely removed from their Frenzy.

Until it is patched...

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7627 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Nope, the MIG and CON bonus did not stack with Priest's Holy Power or Champion's Boon for example.

In that regard I find the new categories of inspirations and afflictions a lot better because it's pretty clear that you can't profit from strong or tenacious two times. Also that whole tier-stuff and countering is neat.

Edited by Boeroer, 22 November 2017 - 06:20 AM.

theBalthazar

theBalthazar

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 508 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Levels 16-20 = 20 % of the duration of the game with -hypothetical- game breaker spells.

Except if like POE1 you max your level long before. In this case Single class can enjoy of its particularity a little more.

There is also a slight advance to progression. To test... (After all, the beta is to detriment of single class :  low level, little difference)

Frankly, I hope they will be more inspired than the spells they produced for the 12-16 of White March... Because I did not -never- use any, I think, from memory. (Perhaps twin arrows L13 and substantial phantom ? No more)

Edited by theBalthazar, 22 November 2017 - 06:27 AM.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7627 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Then you missed some awesome stuff I have to say.

No Avenging Storm? No Freezing Rake? No Symbol of <deity>? No Sacred Immolation? There are a lot more...

Edited by Boeroer, 22 November 2017 - 06:45 AM.

JerekKruger

JerekKruger

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2276 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Until it is patched...

That assumes it's a bug which it's not clear that it is. Yes, it removes the main downside of the Berserker (they still hurt themselves whilst frenzied) but you have to invest a ability point into doing so which you otherwise might not. Also, once Penetration has been rebalanced the extra bonuses from the higher tier Inspirations won't be quite as powerful as they are now so the combo won't be either.

Nope, the MIG and CON bonus did not stack with Priest's Holy Power or Champion's Boon for example.

Ah, in which case it's very much the same as Pillars I guess, which is fine.

I had rather stupidly forgotten the recovery bonus that Frenzy gives and that, together with Frenzy's fast cast should leave it being useful even if there are other abilities that allow you to replicate the Might and Constitution Inspirations.

In that regard I find the new categories of inspirations and afflictions a lot better because it's pretty clear that you can't profit from strong or tenacious two times. Also that whole tier-stuff and countering is neat.

Yeah I like it too, it's a very neat system. I like the fact that I can use Frenzy (and similar abilities) to counter Might and Constitution Afflictions. In fact that's somewhere the Inspiration aspect of Frenzy will remain useful even once higher tier Inspirations become available (on a Mountain Dwarf or Coastal Aumaua you can remove any Constitution or Might Affliction respectively, which is nice).

Edited by JerekKruger, 22 November 2017 - 06:44 AM.

AndreaColombo

AndreaColombo

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3549 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Currently running a 9th-level party on Veteran with scaling on for all content:

- Devoted/Helwalker

- Devoted/Berserker

- Devoted/Soulblade

- Devoted/Priest of Skaen

- Shifter/Helwalker

I can put combat in Fast mode and win every fight with ease. Granted, they're all dual-wielding one-handers whose recovery time is too short and will be patched to 3.0 seconds, so that'll be a significant nerf—but the synergies are pretty good for all combinations except the Devoted/Priest. Given the current casting times, I only really cast Restore or Suppress Afflictions as needed with a Priest, so I needed one that could also be good at melee combat.

We definitely need a buff to casters as right now a fully melee party just mops the floor easily while casters are completely useless (especially if single-classed.)

On a related note—the Devoted/Berserker isn't really shining much despite its obvious strength 'cause by the time he activates his Frenzy, the other guys have already killed everybody XD To be honest I haven't noticed much difference at all between Veteran and Classic? Perhaps I should try PotD.

Edited by AndreaColombo, 22 November 2017 - 06:46 AM.

draego

draego

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 532 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Then you missed some awesome stuff I have to say.

No Avenging Storm? No Freezing Rake? No Symbol of <deity>? No Sacred Immolation? There are a lot more...

Surprise you only get those with single classes so.... :) Ye i have no idea about this but i bet it will be something like that for some of these

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7627 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
No, you also get those with multiclassing - if they remain on the level where they have been in PoE. But I guess OBS invented some nice stuff for single classes' highest power levels.

Edit: my phone's stupid auto correct is really killing me! It's more like auto mistake.

Edited by Boeroer, 22 November 2017 - 06:51 AM.

theBalthazar

theBalthazar

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 508 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Not crazy if the time you do these spells you have already win. Freezing rake and avenging storm was ok, but there was a equivalent options... (A famous spell...

...in a special grimoire... ennemies paralysed... and iced : p Or a storm at level 5...)

Edited by theBalthazar, 22 November 2017 - 06:58 AM.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7627 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Sure - but you said you never used them. So obviously you did use them. So they can't be all that bad after all. ;)

theBalthazar

theBalthazar

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 508 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Yes ! I tried them, indeed. I wanted to say : Almost not use after testing them.

But with single class, in our case, I hope trully than new spells will not only be decoration spells or "not-bad spells"... Because it is the trump card of Single class !...

Edited by theBalthazar, 22 November 2017 - 07:06 AM.

Breckmoney

Breckmoney

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 64 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer
Something like Mindweb should be moved to the single-class only power levels IMO. And powers for other classes should be a similar scope in terms of how good and unique they are if possible.

Kelstrom

Kelstrom

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 40 posts
  • Deadfire Backer

Currently running a 9th-level party on Veteran with scaling on for all content:

- Devoted/Helwalker

- Devoted/Berserker

- Devoted/Soulblade

- Devoted/Priest of Skaen

- Shifter/Helwalker

I can put combat in Fast mode and win every fight with ease. Granted, they're all dual-wielding one-handers whose recovery time is too short and will be patched to 3.0 seconds, so that'll be a significant nerf—but the synergies are pretty good for all combinations except the Devoted/Priest. Given the current casting times, I only really cast Restore or Suppress Afflictions as needed with a Priest, so I needed one that could also be good at melee combat.

We definitely need a buff to casters as right now a fully melee party just mops the floor easily while casters are completely useless (especially if single-classed.)

On a related note—the Devoted/Berserker isn't really shining much despite its obvious strength 'cause by the time he activates his Frenzy, the other guys have already killed everybody XD To be honest I haven't noticed much difference at all between Veteran and Classic? Perhaps I should try PotD.

Could you put the DPS stats of them? hits/crits as well... I am kinda curious :)

AndreaColombo

AndreaColombo

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3549 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

As soon as I get to the end of the beta, I'll make a screenshot of their stats and post it here :)

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7627 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Hm... so nobody even cares that Lightning Strikes puts a 50% shocking lash on spells? Good... then it's all mine! ;)

• AndreaColombo likes this

dunehunter

dunehunter

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 492 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer

Hm... so nobody even cares that Lightning Strikes puts a 50% shocking lash on spells? Good... then it's all mine! ;)

Sounds more like is not intended to me! But yeah monk/fury + high lash on spell can be fun.

theBalthazar

theBalthazar

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 508 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Hm... so nobody even cares that Lightning Strikes puts a 50% shocking lash on spells? Good... then it's all mine!  ;)

Very good, I have read that yes, but for mark the memory, we must play with the build.

I have start with the class at the top and I play to all subclasses (logically I started with barbarian etc.)

But this is awsome, especially since now the damage is no longer absorbed by the DR.

Edited by theBalthazar, 22 November 2017 - 10:42 AM.

JerekKruger

JerekKruger

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2276 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Now we just need those spells to actually hit  :p

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7627 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Dire Blessing for the win! :)

SaruNi

SaruNi

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 178 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Dual sceptre seems very good DPS combo or secptre/wand, where you dont need max dex to be effective. For instance with 0 dex dual sceptres have 0,7 speed and 1.3 recovery. The damage is nice for a 1h weapon + the modal gives 20% dmg and 2 pen. Also its range is 4m so a Ranger (sharpshooter) have "bonus penetration when attacking targets 4m or closer" - not sure how much the bonus is or if it works at all. 
Devoter is probably mandatory not only for the usual bonuses, but the life regen as well. A cipher is a good second class for the % dmg per hit.

Thought dual wielding wands with the Interfering modal and massive +action speed could be good for interrupting abilities, but it doesn't seem to work at all---on abilities, at least. (Not even when enemies are under Arduous Delay of Motion. Meanwhile, Chill Fog's tick was interrupting the same enemies' abilities....) Maybe it only works on spells/abilities with very long casting times?

Sharpshooter standing very close (and with Berserker Frenzy bonus to penetration) still gets the "No Pen" notification with wands on scarab beetles. Even when the Interfering modal isn't activated. Was only doing about 7 damage per hit iirc.

Dual wield scepters with the self-damaging modal does have some synergy with Blooded (+25% damage) if you dump con. Don't think it's one of the best builds though.

Edited by SaruNi, 22 November 2017 - 01:15 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users