Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The strongest beta build

• Please log in to reply
239 replies to this topic

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7637 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Berserker + Devoted makes for a confusion free rage when used in conjunction with Tactical Barrage. As a bonus the +5 Intellect also makes your carnage bigger. An extra 7 penetration when raging with 50% hit to crit is stupidly good. 

Unbroken + Shieldbearer Paladin with spear and shield in Defender stance gets SIX engagements that if broken get a +10 penetration counterstrike. I need to experiment more but this guy could be the line holder.

The last one is cool.

Also note that the Devoted + Berserker not only gives you +5 INT with Tactical Barrage but also removes the INT debuff (from Confused). So it's a double tap on that nerf. :)

Also, Devoted (like any fighter) + Berserker has 100% hit to crit conversion when using Tactical Barrage + Frenzy. Preeeetty OP I guess. 100% crits means you will get a lot of penetration all the time which stacks witth the Devoted PEN which leads to a lot of overpenetration wich leads to even more damage because of the *1.3 bonus. Ouch-ouch-ouch!

Edited by Boeroer, 22 November 2017 - 01:58 AM.

dunehunter

dunehunter

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 508 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer

Unbroken + Shieldbearer Paladin with spear and shield in Defender stance gets SIX engagements that if broken get a +10 penetration counterstrike. I need to experiment more but this guy could be the line holder. 

I feel 6 engagement is a bit pointless, because unless u use a quarterstaff,  your weapon range is small, in that small weapon range I doubt you cannot hold that many enemies. This is just my feeling haven't test it in game yet.

PS: just did a quick test with an Unbroken/Wael Priest with quarterstaff, even with the range of quarterstaff when u are engaged with 3-4 enemies it become very crowded and other enemies will just pass by and because they are out of range, you cannot engage them. So I feel a maximum of 4 engagement is ok, anything more that is pointless.

Edited by dunehunter, 22 November 2017 - 02:15 AM.

JerekKruger

JerekKruger

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2293 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Paladin+Berserker is a strong combo because you can take away the confusion once and for all with a passive. Bleak Walker + not confused Berserker sounds nice. The +50% crit conversion could be cool with FoD.

Technically not a beta build since you can't reach Mental Fortress as a multiclass character with the beta level cap, but it's a pretty awesome combination. I do hope Obsidian don't change the way it works.

Of course, it's hard to tell how good it'll be in the full release. One thing that concerns me about the Barbarian's Frenzy (and, to a lesser extent, the Berserker's) is that the equivalent Might and Constitution Inspirations will be readily available via other sources. If that's the case, the ability might eventually be replaced: why use Frenzy when you can affect your entire party with a Priest spell, for example, that does the same thing for the entire party. 

• SaruNi likes this

dunehunter

dunehunter

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 508 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer

Of course, it's hard to tell how good it'll be in the full release. One thing that concerns me about the Barbarian's Frenzy (and, to a lesser extent, the Berserker's) is that the equivalent Might and Constitution Inspirations will be readily available via other sources. If that's the case, the ability might eventually be replaced: why use Frenzy when you can affect your entire party with a Priest spell, for example, that does the same thing for the entire party. 

Because compare to spell it's almost instantly casted and Berserker's Frenzy gives tier 2 Might/Con Inspiration not tier 1?

Remember we are talking about Berserker Frenzy here, not weak barbarian frenzy :p

Edited by dunehunter, 22 November 2017 - 02:21 AM.

Kelstrom

Kelstrom

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 40 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
Dual sceptre seems very good DPS combo or secptre/wand, where you dont need max dex to be effective. For instance with 0 dex dual sceptres have 0,7 speed and 1.3 recovery. The damage is nice for a 1h weapon + the modal gives 20% dmg and 2 pen. Also its range is 4m so a Ranger (sharpshooter) have "bonus penetration when attacking targets 4m or closer" - not sure how much the bonus is or if it works at all. 
Devoter is probably mandatory not only for the usual bonuses, but the life regen as well. A cipher is a good second class for the % dmg per hit.

Pope

Pope

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1371 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I'm very curious about the Cipher/Monk (in particular Soul Blade/Shattered Pillar).

Anyone given it a try yet?

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7637 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Did you know that Wildstrike Shock/Burn whatever now also adds damage to spells? Trying a Fury/Evoker atm (Spirit Shield and highest DEX help a lot when casting bythe way) and no matter which damagiung spell I use - wizard's or druid's - I always get the Wildstrike bonus. Neat, isn't it? I wonder if Lightning Strikes also adds damage to spells since it doesn't say anything about melee or ranged ranged...

Maybe a druid with Wildstrike + a chanter with Mith Fyr would be cool, too?

Edited by Boeroer, 22 November 2017 - 03:29 AM.

Madscientist

Madscientist

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 705 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I play a skald/corpse eater now and I am very happy.

Skald + any melee class seems to be good.

For 2 phrases you can use 2 spells: AoE enemy armor reduction and AoE paralyze

If your penetration is below enemy AR, use the armor breaker to triple the damage of your party.

If you have enough penetration, you can perma paralyze all enemies ahead of you.

Paralyzed give you 50% hit -> crit, which makes it much easier to get phrases and have enough penetration.

It is good to have a second class with full attacks while dual wielding to get many crits fast.

If you max out perception and do everything else to increase accurency, high int to hit many enemies and you take care of positioning, you should be able to perma stunn most enemies.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7637 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Why not Berserker? With Killers Foze Stiff you'd get 100% hit to crit conversion.

And I can confirm that Mith Fyr still works with spells (although it says "weapons" in the description) and Wildstrike stacks with Mith Fyr. It's pretty nice. Fury is a nice spellcaster. BUT Wildstrike and Myth Fyr DON'T work with invocations, only real "spells" from wizard and druid and so on. At least both didn't work with the lvl-1 lightning invocation. Also with 20 DEX the casting times are still long, but doable. Now testing Lightning Strikes...

Edited by Boeroer, 22 November 2017 - 04:33 AM.

KDubya

KDubya

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1190 posts
  • Deadfire Backer

I'm very curious about the Cipher/Monk (in particular Soul Blade/Shattered Pillar).

Anyone given it a try yet?

I've tried one a little. I need to re-do it as the Cipher talents I took were not good, need to pay more attention to the cast time. I think just grabbing very few cipher powers and taking more Monk abilities will help.

I miss the regen from the fighter class though.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7637 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Lightning Strikes also works with spells! Superfury here we go! :D

Relentless Storm is very powerful with Lighting Strikes + Wildstrike. Also Switt Strikes shortens casting time. 

Edited by Boeroer, 22 November 2017 - 04:48 AM.

• AndreaColombo likes this

JerekKruger

JerekKruger

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2293 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Because compare to spell it's almost instantly casted and Berserker's Frenzy gives tier 2 Might/Con Inspiration not tier 1?

Remember we are talking about Berserker Frenzy here, not weak barbarian frenzy :p

I'd be surprised if tier 2, and even tier 3, Might and Constitution Inspirations aren't available through higher level spells, albeit it probably not together. Also I was talking about both Frenzies: the Berserker one certainly seems less likely to become useless than the Barbarian one.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7637 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Berserker's Frenzy gives you two tier-2 inspirations instead of two tier-1: Tenacious & Hardy instead of Strong & Fit. Tenacious adds +4 penetration to strong (+5 MIG) and hardy adds +4 AR to fit (+5 CON) - which is a HUGE bonus with the current PEN system.

Edited by Boeroer, 22 November 2017 - 05:36 AM.

JerekKruger

JerekKruger

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2293 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Berserker's Frenzy gives you two tier-2 inspirations instead of two tier-1: Tenacious & Hardy instead of Strong & Fit. Tenacious adds +4 penetration to strong (+5 MIG) and hardy adds +4 AR to fit (+5 CON) - which is a HUGE bonus with the current PEN system.

I realise that. My point is simply that at some higher level it is very likely there will be Priest (or other class) spells which give those inspirations, possibly in an AoE, and at that point Berserker's Frenzy might become defunct.

This potential problem applies much more to the Barbarian's Frenzy of course, since those are only tier 1 inspirations. 

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7637 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Frenzy also gives you decreased recovery.

You can also not take Frenzy if you feel it's redundant with your party - and use the Yell instead. Shaken is a good debuff.

Or you use Frenzy at the start of combat because it's a fast cast but doesn't last forever, while those "imagined" spells (I'm also sure there will be buffs with those inspirations) might take longer to cast. Just wild guessing though. I'm sure this will be tweaked if it turns out that Frenzy is really redundant.

theBalthazar

theBalthazar

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 509 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

The only problem with berserker actually is the spellcaster time. 6 seconds.

You need to wait the prayer of the spirit (They supress eachothers = prayer of the spirit is only a canceller for ONE guy, victim of confused, no more there will be no bonuses at the end). It is one action of the priest. In endgame hum... Perhaps there will be better to do than that... the priest is heavily busy to catch up the situation.

And here... we can't tell anything about that : if there is an equivalent later in highter level, Barbarian will became better. If not, Barbarian is useless.

After that, indeed :

+5 might = +15 % damage and +25 % AS. It is good... but for 2 PS of rage...

Obviously better than POE1, but not crazy. Only Berserker is a real barbarian in a certain point of view.

Edited by theBalthazar, 22 November 2017 - 05:51 AM.

JerekKruger

JerekKruger

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2293 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Frenzy also gives you decreased recovery.

Derp, how did I forget about that.

As for the rest, hopefully it'll be fine I just realised that potentially the two inspirations would become redundant (particularly for the non-Berserker frenzy). Out of interest, did the Might and Constitution bonus of PoE's Frenzy stack with other bonuses? If not it's not all that different really.

JerekKruger

JerekKruger

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2293 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

The only problem with berserker actually is the spellcaster time. 6 seconds.

That's what makes Berserker/Paladin so good. Once you get Mental Fortress the Confusion is completely removed from their Frenzy.

theBalthazar

theBalthazar

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 509 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I just checked ! interesting combo ! 

So ... We can not say it yet ... People will say we are repeating ourselves but ... :

Multiclass.

It is all : p

The stuff named "class" in POE1 (With one class = has been) does not exist anymore : p

Edited by theBalthazar, 22 November 2017 - 06:05 AM.

Nail

Nail

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 237 posts
  • Steam:Perebor
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I just checked ! interesting combo ! 

So ... We can not say it yet ... People will say we are repeating ourselves but ... :

Multiclass.

It is all : p

The stuff named "class" in POE1 (With one class = has been) does not exist anymore : p

Pretty much that.

There is no reason not to take all that very powerful class determining abilities.

It would be good only if at certain power level, not reachable by multi class, there are some insane abilities, no other options.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users