The strongest beta build

Nail

A Sharpshooter/Beguiler Ranger/Cipher using dual scepters does pretty good.

Between the modal and Sharpshooter's less than 4m you have great penetration at 11,  which is enough to overpenetrate mail and breastplates. Damage gets +20% modal and +40% biting whip. Just keep the enemy under Phantom Foes for the Beguiler effect.

As an extra bonus Wounding shot is a Full Attack so the dual scepters both get in on the fun. They are also dual damage type.

Looks like the Nature Godlike trick doesn't work great with a Shifter. The inability to cast while shifted means no Cat Flurry bonus to casting recovery, and recovery time on Nature's Balm is a whopping 5 seconds. It's a shame to let go of the longer-lasting Spiritshift, but my build is probably better served by a regular Druid at this point.

I'm also trying a Devoted/Berserker with DEX instead of PER to speed up Frenzy, since he can make up for the loss of PER via Weapon Focus (or I could dump RES further, but I'm not a fan of going below 7 on any stat.)

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Agreed—and indeed a regular Druid works very well for my Druid/Helwalker build.

Now I've got all my guys lined up; my only gripe is taking a single-class Priest for the spells when I know it'll take him forever to cast them even with a maxed out DEX score. We really need those casting times to be made resonable (e.g. long cast from 6 to 4 seconds; medium from 3 to 1.5; cut recovery on fast-cast spells in half and make weapon summons fast cast.)

• Like 1

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

^ the issue with that is that summoned weapons would likely incur the -10 Accuracy penalty from the Devoted unless they were universal (which Soulbound weapons, for example, no longer appear to be.)

Not a problem if you can spend it at once with permanent Lighnint Strikes/Swift Flurry and Stunning Blows (quite fast with Long Pain), is it?

However - this is under the premise that chants and so on get you wounds.

Or make Helwalker/Wizard with dual scepters+modal + Alacrity. :) Wounds all the time beause of selof damage all the time - while being superfast. Too bad Shot on the Run is now ranger only. :(

am very much intrigued by any number o' possible helwalker/caster builds.  with lesser wounds, your multi-class helwalker/whatever is starting every combat encounter with +3 might, which stacks with priestly inspirations. 

am also surprised by the absence o' tanks being shared in this thread.  is a few paladin/fighter builds which, with non-magical brigandine, is near invulnerable in the beta runs we has tried.  haven't had a chance to make a chanter-tank, but am not doubting there is a few possibilities.  given the op nature o' a few o' the current chanter invocations at the moment, am not doubting we will use such more than once... though am current having difficulty not having a skald/devoted in our party.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Not a problem if you can spend it at once with permanent Lighnint Strikes/Swift Flurry and Stunning Blows (quite fast with Long Pain), is it?

Or make Helwalker/Wizard with dual scepters+modal + Alacrity. :) Wounds all the time beause of selof damage all the time - while being superfast. Too bad Shot on the Run is now ranger only. :(

am very much intrigued by any number o' possible helwalker/caster builds.  with lesser wounds, your multi-class helwalker/whatever is starting every combat encounter with +3 might, which stacks with priestly inspirations. 

am also surprised by the absence o' tanks being shared in this thread.  is a few paladin/fighter builds which, with non-magical brigandine, is near invulnerable in the beta runs we has tried.  haven't had a chance to make a chanter-tank, but am not doubting there is a few possibilities.  given the op nature o' a few o' the current chanter invocations at the moment, am not doubting we will use such more than once... though am current having difficulty not having a skald/devoted in our party.

HA! Good Fun!

Fighter/Paladin is probably the strongest but it's not complicated at all so that's probably why it hasn't really been shared.

I'm currently trying out a Holy Slayer Riposte build that uses eternal devotion and retribution to buff riposte.  Riposte seems to have quite the internal cooldown though so I'm not sure how I feel about it so far.  I think it would probably be pretty good as a main tank once you get persistent distraction for your 3rd engagement slot, before then you'd have to use a spear though.  Also if rogues get any reflex based evasion type stuff that would be pretty good for tanking too.

The one thing I don't get is why adept evasion turns grazes into misses when nothing grazes...  lol.

HA! Good Fun!

Fighter/Paladin is probably the strongest but it's not complicated at all so that's probably why it hasn't really been shared.

I'm currently trying out a Holy Slayer Riposte build that uses eternal devotion and retribution to buff riposte.  Riposte seems to have quite the internal cooldown though so I'm not sure how I feel about it so far.  I think it would probably be pretty good as a main tank once you get persistent distraction for your 3rd engagement slot, before then you'd have to use a spear though.  Also if rogues get any reflex based evasion type stuff that would be pretty good for tanking too.

The one thing I don't get is why adept evasion turns grazes into misses when nothing grazes...  lol.

Yeah I did a similar build myself as a GoldPact Knight/Tricker. With Paladin's high deflection and Mirror image. You will trigger riposte all the time. Retribution might not work well as it requires u to get damaged.

I picked Brand Enemy, Gouging Strikes and weapon proficiency in battle axe.  In this way u have 3 DoT on single enemy, or riposte all enemies around with bleeding effect. Works pretty well to me.

Edited by dunehunter

I have an idea about the Monk/Rogue combo. So Rogue skill Confounding Blind Strike reduce enemy's defense every time they are hit. Swift Flurry gives an extra attack when character crits. 

So what if a Monk/Rogue with single weapon Rapier, casting both Swift Flurry on self and Confounding Blind Strike on enemy. I can imagine if the accuracy >> enemy's defense, then Confounding Blink Strike reduce defense -> we hit enemy with crit -> more attacks -> more defense reduced, when accuracy - defense = 100, we hit infinite times and instant kill any enemies.

Edited by dunehunter
  • Like 1

Nice idea. At the moment you can achive the same with a Berserker/fighter: 100% hit to crit.

I'm pretty sure though that Swift Flurry is nor working as intended. A bonus crit should not proc another bonus crit and so on.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

^ the issue with that is that summoned weapons would likely incur the -10 Accuracy penalty from the Devoted unless they were universal (which Soulbound weapons, for example, no longer appear to be.)

The Devoted bonus does apply to summoned weapons---or at least some of them (Berath's Greatsword)....

Does Fighter/Paladin mean multi-class or single class? In the beta so far, a single class would get access to immunities to afflictions, whereas a multi-class only gets resistances. But at higher levels multi-class would have access to all of them... though many are redundant. Nonetheless, the obvious multi-class tank is Goldpact Unbroken (amusing image---according to the tooltip iirc the gold armor remains until it's... broken).

Riposte tank trickster/mage (with access to both enchantment and illusion, conjuration is nice too not just for Arcane Veil but because Concelhaut's Staff has the proficiency modal for increased deflection and does good damage, though you don't need it... and eventually you'll get the Spirit Lance) is pretty much invincible overkill. Heavy armor and mage specialization only penalize recovery time, so spells with 0 recovery (including pretty much all the self-buffs and all weapons summons) aren't penalized at all. Unfortunately the only specialization that gets both Enchantment and Illusion is Evoker, though you can forego illusion as a Conjuror or Enchanter (at the loss of Llengrath's Displaced Image, which is nice because it gives a bonus to both reflex and deflection) and just use the Trickster's illusion spells. (While illusionist's free instant Mirror Image is wonderful, an illusionist tank loses spell buffs against attacks that target Will and Fortitude. Between Llengrath's Displaced Image and rogue's +reflex passive reflex attacks aren't much of an issue though. And you could have other characters buff them.) Eventually (though not in the beta) you'll get access to the mage spell that reflects 50% of spells (not sure if most abilities count as "spells" for this) back at the caster. 

Since the Trickster's illusion spells use guile, they can cast Mirror Image (1 guile) and Confusion (2 guile) more times than a Wizard can. Single-class Trickster has 7 guile by level 9. Since Mirror Image loses potency with every hit, that's potentially useful (if you're actually getting hit at all)....

And of course monks have the "50% of ranged attacks are reflected back" passive, in addition to the added Will defense which Trickster lacks.

I have an idea about the Monk/Rogue combo. So Rogue skill Confounding Blind Strike reduce enemy's defense every time they are hit. Swift Flurry gives an extra attack when character crits. 

So what if a Monk/Rogue with single weapon Rapier, casting both Swift Flurry on self and Confounding Blind Strike on enemy. I can imagine if the accuracy >> enemy's defense, then Confounding Blink Strike reduce defense -> we hit enemy with crit -> more attacks -> more defense reduced, when accuracy - defense = 100, we hit infinite times and instant kill any enemies.

If Dance of Death were working as described in the tooltip (stacking bonus to accuracy every 3 seconds) then with enough time (and stealth/invisibility) you could logically guarantee a "one-shot infinity shot"... unfortunately it maxes out at +12 accuracy. (What happens if you hit an infinite number of times but do 0 damage with each hit?)

Edited by SaruNi

Swift flurry can proc off itself so it's basically utterly broken on any kind of crit build.  If you check the screenshots I put up on the first page it's a fighter/monk swift flurry build doing 200+ damage in a single hit from swift flurry crit/proccing 6 times in a row.

So back to the subject of tank builds, after finishing beta on PotD I'm feeling like basically anyone with the large shield modal is a tank.  If you want to build specifically for a tank then defender stance + large shield gives you so much mitigation that you don't need anything else regardless of stats or equipment.

With that in mind you ought to wonder what else this guy could provide to the party.

CC?  Accuracy is to low

Debuff?  Accuracy is to low

Damage? Accuracy is to low, recovery is to long

Buffing?  Yeah that would work.

Summoning?  This would work too.

So, the best options are probably Priest, Paladin, or Chanter.  If you left him as a straight fighter he'd be nothing but a meatshield that couldn't hit with his active abilities.

Priest would help with your buffing phase, your tank could cast quicker inspirations while your real priest casts the longer ones

Paladin wouldn't really do much but would have the option to use lay on hands or exhortations when needed.  Paladin would probably be the toughest option, nigh unkillable. 

Chanter seems like the best option, there are heaps of good defensive phrases that don't require accuracy, non offensive invocations are fast cast and provide a lot of good options, though your recovery will be pretty bad with good armor.  You can also go beckoner and summon a heap of mobs at the start of every battle, though the chances of getting interrupted are somewhat high this is still my favorite option. 

Basically..

Unbroken/Beckoner

Any race with affliction resistance.

Defender's stance-summons-defensive phrases-defensive invocations

Edited by Climhazzard

Speaking of a tank who's summoning: did you guys realize that summoned creatures scale with level now? I didn't until I wondered how those weak skeletons managed to murder everyone in Tiki Toe Taka village after I finished a beta run.

• Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Speaking of a tank who's summoning: did you guys realize that summoned creatures scale with level now? I didn't until I wondered how those weak skeletons managed to murder everyone in Tiki Toe Taka village after I finished a beta run.

I noticed, I was actually wondering if they scale on power level, but was to lazy to check...   if so nature godlike is getting better and better for multi classing.

I rolled a custom team for PotD, leveled them up to 6 at start to match the Watcher. For a healer/support tank went with a Templar - Darcozzi Paladin (Goldpact misses out on auras and the upgraded sworn enemy doesn't actually give back your zeal) and a Priest of Wael.

Paladins inherently are the tankiest with their Deep Faith, they have more deflection than a shield using fighter with the weapon and shield stance. Priest of Wael gets some illusion spells like Arcane Veil for an instant cast big deflection boost. Pop that and no one is hitting you.

Once the upgraded Sworn Enemy refunds the zeal cost when the target is killed that'll open up a lot of cool Goldpact builds that will pick a target and then beat them down with the big accuracy and damage boost plus the extra armor. Mix it with a Devoted for extra penetration plus the fighter skills, Unbroken for additional armor and better defense from stances, Berserkers for all they bring, Shattered Pillar monks, Ciphers for Biting Whip or even a Rogue. Lots of possibilities.

Chanter seems like the best option, there are heaps of good defensive phrases that don't require accuracy, non offensive invocations are fast cast and provide a lot of good options, though your recovery will be pretty bad with good armor.  You can also go beckoner and summon a heap of mobs at the start of every battle, though the chances of getting interrupted are somewhat high this is still my favorite option. 

Beckoner/Ranger. Your pet unstealths to initiate combat, while you stay in stealth. Start chanting a buff and summoning skeletons. The chant changes to the speed chant so the skeletons can move into position. If you're a Stalker you and your pet can act as tanks within 4 m of each other, thereby benefiting from buffing chants and creating maximum engagement (there's also a passive that lets your pet engage an extra enemy)... and if you really need to get away to cast an invocation you can use Evasive Roll. Or you can stay stealthed and move away to remain untargetable (while using chants to buff your ranged characters), and have your pet run away too so it doesn't get KO'd and trigger bonded grief. (You could even do an all summoner party that way, and never have to leave stealth.)

Some of the random druid summons are tanky (huge hp pool---not all of them though, fire is more offense oriented) but they can't engage many enemies. Can cast Beetle's Shell on it though. Once Maura's Writhing Tentacles and Essential Phantom (does shock damage when hit) are working a Conjuror might make a good tank---Llengrath's Safeguard can be cast out of combat and you can get the spell point back while still under its effect. The defensive buffs are fast casts with 0 recovery time so heavy armor doesn't affect them. 

Edited by SaruNi

Just found an interesting disengagement combo. So Blade Turning will reflect enemies' attack back, it can combo with Disengagement. So first step, engage as many enemy as possible; 2nd step, turn on Blade Turning; 3rd step, leave to trigger Disengagement. BOOOM! All enemies u engaged are hit by their own Disengagement attacks!!

• Like 2

I've had a lot of fun with a Shifter Druid muli-classed with a Rogue, he outdamaged the rest of the party by a crazy margin.

I'm guessing that the shifted forms attacks probably benefit from the single handed weapon bug so that probably explains part of it but going cat form flurry + sneak attack was pretty hilarious.

I've also had great result with a sharpshooter ranger using dual scepters at close range. Boring to play and looks pretty bad because of the mediocre scepter animations but great "set it and forget it" damage.

Just found an interesting disengagement combo. So Blade Turning will reflect enemies' attack back, it can combo with Disengagement. So first step, engage as many enemy as possible; 2nd step, turn on Blade Turning; 3rd step, leave to trigger Disengagement. BOOOM! All enemies u engaged are hit by their own Disengagement attacks!!

That sounds hilariously broken :) 

Berserker+ shattered pillar is ridicolous.

One hand style( +12) + rapier (+5) + modal(+20) + accuracy talents + swift flurry + berserk --> up to 15 crits chained after 1 crit --> 320 dmg , with 1 sec buffing time

A ravager will probably be a really good build even after they fix swift flurry, there's a lot of synergy.  Clarity of mind cancels the downside of berserk, you'd just use it in your party buffing stage.  Interrupting blows, swift flurry, enervating blows, and bloody frenzy, all proc effects off crits therefore benefiting tremendously from berserk.   Barbarian's have buffs like savage defiance and thick skinned that will be really good for staying alive, not to mention unflinching and a ton of damage buffs.  Basically it's a match made in heaven.

Edited by Climhazzard