The strongest beta build

Nail

What's your experience?

I think it's Brawler (Devoted / Helwalker) with who weapons in each hand.

I guess it doesn't really matter what you will focus on if you maintain instacasting Swift Strikes and Disciplined Barrage.

Pros:

insane damage burst

insane statline

Cons:

Found none in beta

I7l9aUn.png

What abut you?

Maybe some multi classes with monk / priest could be good too, but so far I like Brawler a lot. :)

• Like 1

Done this with Moon Godlike Wizard

q22yrpP.png

Perebor steam

How did you boost your stats that high? (Except the dumped Resolve, that is.)

Edited by AndreaColombo

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

How did you boost your stats that high? (Except the dumped Resolve, that is.)

Base stats

mig 15

con 20

dex 15

per 15

int 10

res 3

It's just under effects of Swift Strikes and Disciplined Barrage.

Plus might gain from Helwalker passive (10 wounds)

Edited by Nail
  • Like 2

q22yrpP.png

Perebor steam

Yeah both Disciplined Barrage and Swift Strike/Lightning Strike is super powerful atm. They are instantly casted and cost only 1 source point. Pluse Devoted is OP due to the current penetration system. Strong combo build for sure.

But it also depends on your difficulty, in Potd all enemies has +15 defense which makes it harder to do critical attack. So the effect of swift strike is not that impressive. You might need to pick Lightning Strike instead in Potd.

Edited by dunehunter

You mean MIGHT NOT STRENGTH. That build sounds highly effective though. 

Right :)

Anyway like the build although based on the current penetration system Devoted is quickly becoming Ketchup good on everything or at least everything that plans to swing a weapon. Monk also seems good as well seems like you want at least one of them mixed into any Multiclass....

Still this build does do what I like swings weapons with elemental damage. So assuming casting rate is still garbage I will probably build this first.

I like to use Shattered Pillar instead of Hel Walker.

Reasons:

1.) Much more tanky as you gain 'wounds' by doing damage instead of taking damage. The Monk attacks are all Primary not Full so using a shield has no downside. 

2.) No reason to stat dump and have a bad Will defense that just screams please charm me.

3.) Having a high deflection could make using "Dance of Death" an interesting choice

• Like 1

Reasons:

1.) Much more tanky as you gain 'wounds' by doing damage instead of taking damage. The Monk attacks are all Primary not Full so using a shield has no downside. 

2.) No reason to stat dump and have a bad Will defense that just screams please charm me.

3.) Having a high deflection could make using "Dance of Death" an interesting choice

Well if you play on PotD there's nothing called high deflection, every mob has much higher accuracy and deflection.

• Like 1

Reasons:

Thinking about this build for solo walkthrough, so charm is not a big problem.

Also there are some defense perks to cover that will loss.

Maybe Wood Elf would be better option too, during immune to Petrify / Paralyze, what I evaluate much more dangerous than Enfeebled.

There is some room for tweaks for sure :)

Edited by Nail

q22yrpP.png

Perebor steam

What's your experience?

I think it's Brawler (Devoted / Helwalker) with who weapons in each hand.

I guess it doesn't really matter what you will focus on if you maintain instacasting Swift Strikes and Disciplined Barrage.

Pros:

insane damage burst

insane statline

Cons:

Found none in beta

I7l9aUn.png

What abut you?

Maybe some multi classes with monk / priest could be good too, but so far I like Brawler a lot. :)

Great build, and I love that you picked a mountain dwarf. I'm playing one right now, and enjoy it immensely it. Perhaps, I'll make a mountain dwarf character as my very first one in Deadfire.

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Reasons:

Well if you play on PotD there's nothing called high deflection, every mob has much higher accuracy and deflection.

Its only +15 accuracy, nothing that a superb small shield with weapon and shield style can't negate with +26 deflection. Heck a plain small shield with the style bonus would get you +14.

With the removal of grazes you'll get hit less often and pursuing high deflection will be stronger. Add in 70% DR if your armor is high enough and you can tank till the cows come home.

I wonder when new beta patch will go live fixing most of all found bugs...

Tried Transmutor / Devoted on clubs, seems weaker, still interesting choice :)

Have somebody tried Monk / Priest ?

Edited by Nail

q22yrpP.png

Perebor steam

The ogre's "clubs" don't count as clubs when it comes to proficiency.

Ogre + Berserker is nice and so is Ogre + Corpse Eater. Because the stat buffs stack. The only thing is that the grazing gauntlets don't help you and that the INT debuff of the Ogre makes you Carnage area smaller. Berserker also has an INT debuff when frenzied because of confusion and it stacks with the Ogre's so you better max out INT at char creation. ;)

Paladin+Berserker is a strong combo because you can take away the confusion once and for all with a passive. Bleak Walker + not confused Berserker sounds nice. The +50% crit conversion could be cool with FoD.

I also tried Devoted/Priest of Berath with the summoned great sword (which is awesome with the +60% corrosive lash at lvl 6 - just takes too long to summon).

Too bad I can't try Bleak Walker + Priest of Berath.

I also tried Bleak Walker + Lightning Strikes (Shattered Pillar). Very nice spike damage and no shortage of wounds here. ;)

Still: Devoted or Assassin + Soul Blade still seems to be one of the most powerful single target destroyers. I mean even when you ignore the bug of Soul Annihilation. 150 raw damage on top of your usual weapon damage (which is already huge) and building up enough focus with one or two attacks, then doing it again is very strong.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

GoldPact Knight + Tricker, I did this combo today and it seems pretty fun for dueling. Proficiency weapon picked battleaxe + medium shield. Talent picked Brand Enemy + Gouging Strike + Riposte.

With Deep faith + Medium shield block + Mirror Image enemies can barely touch you, while u riposte them with axe, causing bleed damage. And with Brand Enemy + Gouging Strike, these two will DoT the target til the end of battle. Pretty sweet to look at target try to touch u but bleed/burn to death :D

Soloed Skulking-Terror on PotD barely get touched.

Edited by dunehunter
  • Like 1

Berserker + Devoted makes for a confusion free rage when used in conjunction with Tactical Barrage. As a bonus the +5 Intellect also makes your carnage bigger. An extra 7 penetration when raging with 50% hit to crit is stupidly good. 

Unbroken + Shieldbearer Paladin with spear and shield in Defender stance gets SIX engagements that if broken get a +10 penetration counterstrike. I need to experiment more but this guy could be the line holder. 

• Like 2

Berserker + Devoted makes for a confusion free rage when used in conjunction with Tactical Barrage. As a bonus the +5 Intellect also makes your carnage bigger. An extra 7 penetration when raging with 50% hit to crit is stupidly good. 

Unbroken + Shieldbearer Paladin with spear and shield in Defender stance gets SIX engagements that if broken get a +10 penetration counterstrike. I need to experiment more but this guy could be the line holder.

The last one is cool.

Also note that the Devoted + Berserker not only gives you +5 INT with Tactical Barrage but also removes the INT debuff (from Confused). So it's a double tap on that nerf. :)

Also, Devoted (like any fighter) + Berserker has 100% hit to crit conversion when using Tactical Barrage + Frenzy. Preeeetty OP I guess. 100% crits means you will get a lot of penetration all the time which stacks witth the Devoted PEN which leads to a lot of overpenetration wich leads to even more damage because of the *1.3 bonus. Ouch-ouch-ouch!

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I feel 6 engagement is a bit pointless, because unless u use a quarterstaff,  your weapon range is small, in that small weapon range I doubt you cannot hold that many enemies. This is just my feeling haven't test it in game yet.

PS: just did a quick test with an Unbroken/Wael Priest with quarterstaff, even with the range of quarterstaff when u are engaged with 3-4 enemies it become very crowded and other enemies will just pass by and because they are out of range, you cannot engage them. So I feel a maximum of 4 engagement is ok, anything more that is pointless.

Edited by dunehunter

Paladin+Berserker is a strong combo because you can take away the confusion once and for all with a passive. Bleak Walker + not confused Berserker sounds nice. The +50% crit conversion could be cool with FoD.

Technically not a beta build since you can't reach Mental Fortress as a multiclass character with the beta level cap, but it's a pretty awesome combination. I do hope Obsidian don't change the way it works.

Of course, it's hard to tell how good it'll be in the full release. One thing that concerns me about the Barbarian's Frenzy (and, to a lesser extent, the Berserker's) is that the equivalent Might and Constitution Inspirations will be readily available via other sources. If that's the case, the ability might eventually be replaced: why use Frenzy when you can affect your entire party with a Priest spell, for example, that does the same thing for the entire party. 

• Like 2

Of course, it's hard to tell how good it'll be in the full release. One thing that concerns me about the Barbarian's Frenzy (and, to a lesser extent, the Berserker's) is that the equivalent Might and Constitution Inspirations will be readily available via other sources. If that's the case, the ability might eventually be replaced: why use Frenzy when you can affect your entire party with a Priest spell, for example, that does the same thing for the entire party. 

Because compare to spell it's almost instantly casted and Berserker's Frenzy gives tier 2 Might/Con Inspiration not tier 1?

Remember we are talking about Berserker Frenzy here, not weak barbarian frenzy :p

Edited by dunehunter

Dual sceptre seems very good DPS combo or secptre/wand, where you dont need max dex to be effective. For instance with 0 dex dual sceptres have 0,7 speed and 1.3 recovery. The damage is nice for a 1h weapon + the modal gives 20% dmg and 2 pen. Also its range is 4m so a Ranger (sharpshooter) have "bonus penetration when attacking targets 4m or closer" - not sure how much the bonus is or if it works at all. 

Devoter is probably mandatory not only for the usual bonuses, but the life regen as well. A cipher is a good second class for the % dmg per hit.