Suggestion - adjusted helmets

dam

So, know what we need bros ?

Tailored helmets for Godlikes.

Like, real.

Let me spend a talent point so that my character is able to wear helmets, because he's had them custom-fitted by whoever the fck or whatever developed the ability to retract his horns.

And then, boom, Godlikes with helmets \o/

What say you ?

Edit :

Custom-fitting didn't seem quite RP enough for everyone, so instead, let's go with your Godlike has developed the ability to retract his horns \o/

Edited by dam

Either you hide the helmet, or it covers the entire head is all, like regular characters.

Currently playing a very specific game of POE for The Ultimate achievement, running a moon godlike, and jeez does it suck sacrificing an item slot merely for a passive (which, mind you, gets less useful as the game advances, while helmets get more powerful).

The specific downside of Godlikes is that they can't have helmets. They have some pretty cool racial skills, not getting helmet bonus is your penalty for being the cool kid.

Fire Godlikes would melt helmet anyway. Deathgodlikes love to show off their beautiful faces.

Seeing how I'd have to spend a talent for it, sounds like a fair trade actually.

Either pick Godlike, live without a helmet and have the "extra" talent, or pick the Godlike, and nuke a talent on wearing helmets ;)

Thinking it would be nice to have the option, here.

Seeing how I'd have to spend a talent for it, sounds like a fair trade actually.

Either pick Godlike, live without a helmet and have the "extra" talent, or pick the Godlike, and nuke a talent on wearing helmets ;)

Thinking it would be nice to have the option, here.

Or "don't pick a Godlike if you want to wear a helmet"

• Like 1

Fire Godlikes would melt helmet anyway. Deathgodlikes love to show off their beautiful faces.

Indeed. This makes us assume that fire godlikes sleep on stone beds without pillows.

Ha! Let the devs explain how they deal with ordinary daily stuff with all those flames constantly errupting from their head! :D

• Like 1

Indeed. This makes us assume that fire godlikes sleep on stone beds without pillows.

Ha! Let the devs explain how they deal with ordinary daily stuff with all those flames constantly errupting from their head! :D

Well, there's a ah... pleasurable activity which comes to mind, which can't be easy to handle... :p

I am completely fine with godlike-specific head architecture clipping through helmets if they could just wear them.

-

The only reason I ever picked Godlike in PoE 1 was because the moon Godlike passive racial was almost unskip-ably good for solo runs. With the exception of the moon godlike, none of the passives weigh up against the benefits of, say, the Maegfolc Skull. 

Having Godlikes be unable to wear head armor is a stupid design decision based in a perceived adherence to realism that is just going to force your playerbase to not play Godlikes once they've obtained some beyond-first-playthrough skill with the system. 

• Like 1

"Of all the kids in The Breakfast Club, Ally Sheedy would be the first one to sense Cthulhu's coming." -Patton Oswalt 

When your godlikes tries to wear a helmet for the first time, a little scipted interaction should appear:

"jelous of your partymates wearing headgear, you grab the greathelm and pull it down your head with determination. It breaks open and it's ruined forever. What do you do?"

"1) Leave it there as it never happened. Helmet? What helmet?"

"2) think "fakk it" and toss it over your shoulder. Who needs them when you have those glorious hornes. Let the others grow horns instead"

"3) pick another one and try to wear it. The last one was of bad quality for sure"

Edited by Sedrefilos
  • Like 4

Let me spend a talent point so that my character is able to wear helmets, because he's had them custom-fitted by whoever the fck or whatever.

Why would that cost a talent? That should cost money to hire someone to make the helmet.

Seeing how money is never a problem in mid-late game, that would make the whole mechanic sort of moot, in my opinion.

Yes! I want helmets on godlike! I love playing the less human-looking characters, but I cannot being myself to ever play a character with a missing slot. I just can't. It bothers me too much.

I don't want to make a gear optimization sacrifice just to use the coolest looking races!

I think the description of Godlikes during character creation specifies that the fire on their heads doesn't produce heat ordinarily.

jcod0.png

Let me spend a talent point so that my character is able to wear helmets, because he's had them custom-fitted by whoever the fck or whatever.

Why would that cost a talent? That should cost money to hire someone to make the helmet.

Seeing how money is never a problem in mid-late game, that would make the whole mechanic sort of moot, in my opinion.

Well, yeah, it's silly from a balance perspective.

I meant you shouldn't need a talent to wear an item custom fitted to you. Talents represent skill, inherent qualities, etc, not items.

Having Godlikes be unable to wear head armor is a stupid design decision based in a perceived adherence to realism that is just going to force your playerbase to not play Godlikes once they've obtained some beyond-first-playthrough skill with the system. 

No, it's a practical decision, so they don't have to make a whole new slew of new helmet assets for their funny heads.
It's not like race choice is really important outside of POTD, or POTD solo, anyways, and the majority of players will never touch POTD.

Edit: fixed original misattributed quote. My bad, dam, sorry. I was having a little trouble with the quote function, worked around with a little copy&paste without due care.
Edited by cheesevillain

I meant you shouldn't need a talent to wear an item custom fitted to you. Talents represent skill, inherent qualities, etc, not items.

Make you a deal, the talent no longer represents the fact you've had them custom-fitted.

It now represents your ability to retract your horns, thus enabling you to wear helmets \o/

fck me, is that a good recover or is that a good recover ? :D

I'm confused here, I do not see myself writing this, or at the very least not using such a violent phrasing as "is a stupid design decision".

Trying to find it in my original post to rephrase more softly, like "It is my personal opinion that this was a stupid decision" (as in, not made by stupid people, but that one (myself in this instance, apparently ?) finds stupid, devoid of sense), but I can't seem to find the sentence there, and my OP was never edited.

Yeah, I'm confused, I believe that's the right word here, confused o_o

Edit: yeah no, not my post, not my post indeed, that would be someone else's :p

@cheesevillain would you kindly reflect that in your latest post ?

I wish to try and maintain an image of, reasonableness say ;)

Edited by dam

Make you a deal, the talent no longer represents the fact you've had them custom-fitted.

It now represents your ability to retract your horns, thus enabling you to wear helmets \o/

fck me, is that a good recover or is that a good recover ? :D

F**k it, I'm down, put it in the game.

Either you hide the helmet, or it covers the entire head is all, like regular characters.

Currently playing a very specific game of POE for The Ultimate achievement, running a moon godlike, and jeez does it suck sacrificing an item slot merely for a passive (which, mind you, gets less useful as the game advances, while helmets get more powerful).

It heals like 150 endurance a tick by endgame if you spec high might and equip +healing items, that's way better than anything you can get from any helmet.

Checking in my screenshots I found one I took that sort of proves my previous statement, the wing slam was fully negated by silver tide.  It's from my only finished Ironman PotD run. 

PHoyxZY.jpg

Though it seems heavily nerfed in PoE2 so far, and probably not worth the loss of a helmet.

Edited by Climhazzard