[Suggestion] Choose background before stats in character creation

CENIC

They complained about this in the PoE 1 beta and they didn't change it then.

Yeah, I definitely remember complaining about it.

• Like 1

"Wizards do not need to be The Dudes Who Can AoE Nuke You and Gish and Take as Many Hits as a Fighter and Make all Skills Irrelevant Because Magic."

-Josh Sawyer

bigger issue for us at the moment is class skill bonuses.  with all the new skills, and with stoopid anachronism o' classes providing inherent skill bonuses, am typical not knowing what our initial skill loadouts will be until After we have completed character creation.  by the time deadfire is available, am certain we will know what the starting skill bonuses for a howler is, but at the moment we do not.  is doubtful new players will know such minutiae. the backgrounds is swell and all, but would be more useful if during character creation we knew exact what were being modified by the backgrounds. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

That way you can see the extra point afforded to you by your background and figure that into your build, rather than having to backtrack like you do currently.

The approach is debatable.

If you're a newcomer, you're going to get a bonus to a stat you have no idea has what effect on the game.

They complained about this in the PoE 1 beta and they didn't change it then.

Yeah, I definitely remember complaining about it.

Same here. I'd put background and history selections after Race but before class selections. Basically, Sex>Race>History/background>class>etc.

If you're a newcomer, you're going to get a bonus to a stat you have no idea has what effect on the game.

Agreed. If you're picking background first, newbies are confused. But a veteran is already factoring the background bonus while picking attributes by the 2nd or 3rd time they make a character.

• Like 1

Agreed. If you're picking background first, newbies are confused. But a veteran is already factoring the background bonus while picking attributes by the 2nd or 3rd time they make a character.

I disagree. if you can ask newbies to pick races with opaque abilities they dont understand and skill bonuses (from classes) they dont understand and ........  also attribute bonuses (from races) already, then you can ask them to pick culture background also. 

Edited by draego