Backstabbing doable?

dunehunter

Anyone manage to make successful backstabbing? My main character has a Stealth of 8 but I find it's impossible to make backstabs. Everytime enemy discovered me before or when I am doing the swing sword action and the attack result into a normal attack instead of backstabbing.

Edited by dunehunter

Anyone manage to make successful backstabbing? My main character has a Stealth of 8 but I find it's impossible to make backstabs. Everytime enemy discovered me before or when I am doing the swing sword action and the attack result into a normal attack instead of backstabbing.

Yes, I have, but only if I'm in stealth when combat begins and I target an enemy who is engaged by somebody else.

I have stealth 6 and usually it's no problem to do a Backstab. I will sneak up from behind or the sides, not the front. Don't know if that helps. I also don't use an ability but an auto attack. Just because that was the best option in PoE, no idea if this is needed in Deadfire.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Yes, that works. I did this. Good combo.

In my opinion an Assassin/Soul Blade is even better if you use weapons with high PEN: Deal 100+ damage with a Backstab+Assassinate from stealth to get a ton of focus and most of the time one-shot the enemy, follow up with Soul Annihilation on the second target. That usually deals around 200 damage, also one-shotting. Two enemies dead in the first 3 secs of combat is quite nice. My Devoted/Assassin was good as well, but he couldn't keep up with that.

Sneak + Backstab + Assassinate + Soul Whip + Biting Whip is so much damage...

I don't use any cipher powers by the way - I only use the focus for Soul Annihilation (ignoring that it's bugged and only uses 5 focus instead of all focus) - it's that good (and raw damage - so screw you PEN mechanics).

I two-shotted the titan with Blinding Strike + Soul Annihilation after assasinating the sand thingy that stands close to it. Only thing is I'm really really frail. ;)

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 2

I wonder if it's possible to do it from the front? I had stealth 8 on a character, and I almost went up to an enemy's face and backstabbed it. I was detected like inches before I could land a backstab.

Perhaps it's hardcoded as impossible?

• Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Hm, didn't really have problems with that even with 6 stealth. It may also depend on the creature. Some are a lot more perceptive than kith.

By the way: Backstab with a reach weapon should be easier (I guess), but I never tested a pike. Does it still have any advantage concerning range/reach?

Edited by Boeroer

By the way: Backstab with a reach weapon should be easier (I guess), but I never tested a pike. Does it still have any advantage concerning range/reach?

Quaterstaff still do, so I suspect that the pike do as well, but I haven't tried one either.

Quaterstaff is cool though, stand behind the tank while hitting stuff while also being able to get a deflection bonus if you end up "alone". Although, the modal bonus doesn't work against carnage hits.

Edited by morhilane

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

In my opinion an Assassin/Soul Blade is even better if you use weapons with high PEN: Deal 100+ damage with a Backstab+Assassinate from stealth to get a ton of focus and most of the time one-shot the enemy, follow up with Soul Annihilation on the second target. That usually deals around 200 damage, also one-shotting. Two enemies dead in the first 3 secs of combat is quite nice. My Devoted/Assassin was good as well, but he couldn't keep up with that.

I don't use any cipher powers by the way - I only use the focus for Soul Annihilation (ignoring that it's bugged and only uses 5 focus instead of all focus) - it's that good (and raw damage - so screw you PEN mechanics).

I two-shotted the titan with Blinding Strike + Soul Annihilation after assasinating the sand thingy that stands close to it. Only thing is I'm really really frail. ;)

Well ya. There are 2 things that are OP beyond doubt so far in Beta. Devoted and any multiclass combination/Soul Blade and any multiclass combination.

I'm confused, what Assassinate skill ?

Did you mean Finishing Blow ?