[Request] Arena Mode

Hariwulf

After fiddling around with the Beta I feel that, in way to provide better and faster feedback to Obsidian, we would all benefit from an Arena Mode:

- A room (arena) with spawning enemy waves or a set of rooms with enemy encounters.

- The ability to recruit, level (up to x level) and gear up a full fledged party.

This would be extremely useful to test various party-compositions synergies and weaknesses. 

Plus, if the implementation will be done properly, the Arena Mode could be kept and included in the finished game. What's not to like?

Edited by Hariwulf
  • Like 3

After fiddling around with the Beta I feel that, in way to provide better and faster feedback to Obsidian, we would all benefit from and Arena Mode:

- A room (arena) with spawning enemy waves or a set of rooms with enemy encounters.

- The ability to recruit and level (up to x level) and gear up a full fledged party.

This would be extremely useful to test various party-compositions synergies and weaknesses. 

Plus, if the implementation will be done properly, the Arena Mode could be kept and included in the finished game. What's not to like?

has been requested more than once.  the obsidian developers responded to the appeal by expressing a willingness to consider such a feature... seemed to think it were a good idea, but practical limits of game development don't always result in every good idea being implemented.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Online? Hahaha Yeah I don’t think they will start working on netcode to privde testing ground for singleplayer game were content is PvE.

An arena (doesn’t need to be pretty. Any of open encounter maps would do) would be nice. Create a party, choose from couple premade opponents to face. I want to experiment with different builds and compositions but doing it through quest playthrough take a bit more time than needed.

• Like 2

I'd love to play an endless dungeon mode with custom party, no story whatsoever, just delving and delving until you drop or quit or something.

Yeah I'd love that as well, it doesn't have to be complicated or even very deep. Throw random parties of mobs at you, with XP and item rewards at each "wave" you clear. Make it separate from the main game of course as to not make it exploitable to powerlevel and it would be a nice side dish.

That being said, I feel that Obsidian isn't really interested in putting anything too combat focused in the Pillars of Eternity franchise. It's a shame, I think, roleplaying is great but sometimes you just want to take a break and try a few builds to knock a few heads.

• Like 1

Pillars was the only rpg that made me want to replay it badly because of its mechanics and character builds. I started several new games but I dropped it after getting Caed Nua because, at that point, the pacing becomes boring until you get to the 2nd part of White March or get to things past Defiance Bay or deeper in the Endless Paths, if you already done them once.

That's why I want an endless dungeon mode or the arena mode so I can build and just have fun against opponents.

If they can't do it in core game, there's a nice idea for an expansion. I can wait :p

Edited by Sedrefilos
  • Like 3

Long time ago I've done a poll with almost similar question.

Majority (80% of forum dwellers) lean towards only single player, without any arenas :(

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/92159-duel-multiplayer-pvp-poe-ii-deadfire/

I wouldn't want multiplayer either (imagine to have to play a rtwp game multiplayer - I don't know I wouldn't have tried it -  sounds chaotic and leans towards those who can cope fast realtime combat without pausing or slowing down).

I'd love a single player arena mode as Wormerine suggests. Just fights of my custom party against opponents of chosen level (or custom build opponent party).

EDIT: It could also be a side game. With its own progress in addition to free fighting. Like you start with a level 1 party and you fight 3 pre-made fights at different level 1 opponents then you advance one level and so on until you beat the last 20th level group. Man, the more I think about it the more I like the idea! :D

Edited by Sedrefilos

After fiddling around with the Beta I feel that, in way to provide better and faster feedback to Obsidian, we would all benefit from an Arena Mode:

- The ability to recruit, level (up to x level) and gear up a full fledged party.

I think soon.. perhaps we will have PvP. 3 lane map 5 vs 5. PoE style. how about that? :p

Majority (80% of forum dwellers) lean towards only single player, without any arenas :(

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/92159-duel-multiplayer-pvp-poe-ii-deadf

Your poll was: Would you like multiplayer in Deadfire? 

Arena doesn't have to be multiplayer, nor would work on a Real Time with Pause system.

Single player arena is what we want

I wouldn't want multiplayer either (imagine to have to play a rtwp game multiplayer - I don't know I wouldn't have tried it -  sounds chaotic and leans towards those who can cope fast realtime combat without pausing or slowing down).

I'd love a single player arena mode as Wormerine suggests. Just fights of my custom party against opponents of chosen level (or custom build opponent party).

EDIT: It could also be a side game. With its own progress in addition to free fighting. Like you start with a level 1 party and you fight 3 pre-made fights at different level 1 opponents then you advance one level and so on until you beat the last 20th level group. Man, the more I think about it the more I like the idea! :D

No one is talking about Multi.

Single Player arena mode is what I requested.

No one is talking about Multi.

Single Player arena mode is what I requested.

I know, I was replying to Nail :)

• Like 1

For those who think about multiplayer arenas or duels, I think the OP means it more in a Black Pits / Baeloth style ;)

Loved these arenas, and the one in the Underdark as well.

Would kill for an endless dungeon / arena.

• Like 2

For those who think about multiplayer arenas or duels, I think the OP means it more in a Black Pits / Baeloth style ;)

Loved these arenas, and the one in the Underdark as well.

Would kill for an endless dungeon / arena.

Yes, it would do wonders even for those nostalgic IWD days... You know, there are moments in the life of a man, where you just need to chop something. Aah, the good old times... :D

• Like 1