Talents - Monk

--------------------------------------------------------------

Swift Strikes

Lesser Wounds

Lightning Strikes +

Comment:

The two core synergy of this build is combo the high MIGHT of Helwalker with Both Offensive talents and Healing talents, as we know MIGHT is +% for damage/healing. 

For defense aspect, high MIGHT provides sweet healing bonus to Lay on Hands, White Flame(Kind Warfarer talent which adds +heal to flame of devotion) and Moon Godlike silver tides.

Since we want wounds to stack fast for the MIGHT bonus, we will front many enemies and get hit frequently, silver tides will trigger fast and provides good synergy here.

For offensive aspect, 1) MIGHT rise the basic damage as an addiction; 2) Lash from Eternal Devotion/Lightning Strikes works as a multiplier towards basic damage. So have both high MIGHT and 75% total of Lash damage makes we hit hard as truck. And we pick sabre for its high basic damage.

One thing to be mentioned is that in current beta version, Lash damage will bypass armour rate so even your weapon has lower penetration than enemies' armour rate, your Lash will still do full damage. I'm not sure if this is intended or not. But with such high Lash damage we don't need to worried about penetration.

Subclass aspect, I picked Kind Wayfarer for its white flames, but you can pick any Paladin subclass you want as it doesn't matter that much. But I think Kind Wayfarer synergy best here. Darcozzi Paladini/Fire Godlike will be a variation for a more Retaliation focused build.

Talent aspect, Eternal Devotion + Lightning Strike is OP combo. Inspired Defences + Zealot Endurance offers nice armour rate since we will get a lot hits. Armour rate can help us survive. Deep faith is not necessary but I like to pick it as I feel it's the best talent of Paladins.

Overall, this is a low maintenance Striker/Healer which use the best of synergy of the current system. Feel free to add comments and your opinions on the build :)

Edited by dunehunter
  • Like 2

I got some questions:

- Do kind wayfarers heal themselves when you use flames of devotion? I am not sure if it healed them in PoE1 or if it hit only other party members.

If it heals the paladin himself, you can use FoD to keep eternal devotion up all the time while healing yourself. No need to use LoH.

Please remember that kind wayfarers deal 15% less damage when the target can be hit with sneak attacks. At the moment they are buggy so they deal always -15% damage, but even without the bug you will have the -15% almost all of the time.

If FoD does not heal the paladin himself, Dracozzi Paladini are better for damage because LoH gives fire shield and even more bonusses if you upgrade it to greater LoH.

- I am a bit sad that kind wayfarers do not have strange mercy anymore (AoE heal when you kill an enemy). But I think it would be too OP when you combine the paladin with a class that does tons of damage.

- I guess you want athletics skill for another self heal. If you upgrade the defensive aura you get permanent regeneration, but I do not know if this is enough to keep you alive.

I got some questions:

- Do kind wayfarers heal themselves when you use flames of devotion? I am not sure if it healed them in PoE1 or if it hit only other party members.

If it heals the paladin himself, you can use FoD to keep eternal devotion up all the time while healing yourself. No need to use LoH.

Please remember that kind wayfarers deal 15% less damage when the target can be hit with sneak attacks. At the moment they are buggy so they deal always -15% damage, but even without the bug you will have the -15% almost all of the time.

If FoD does not heal the paladin himself, Dracozzi Paladini are better for damage because LoH gives fire shield and even more bonusses if you upgrade it to greater LoH.

- I am a bit sad that kind wayfarers do not have strange mercy anymore (AoE heal when you kill an enemy). But I think it would be too OP when you combine the paladin with a class that does tons of damage.

- I guess you want athletics skill for another self heal. If you upgrade the defensive aura you get permanent regeneration, but I do not know if this is enough to keep you alive.

I really, really do not like the sound (and the whole idea) of dealing less damage to enemies vulnerable to flanking.

It's just such a ridiculous thing to have...

I'm really hoping that Pallegina despite joining the Kind Wayfarers story-wise (at least in my game) will retain her unique Paladin order bonuses instead of being gimped with the Kind Wayfarer penalties.

I got some questions:

FoD heals the paladin themselves in my test playthrough. And Dual wielding = Double heals from white flames. My FoD heals around 50 hp with two sabre. Thats only one FoD, and you can do 5 FoD in one battle, which was insanely powerful.

Yeah LoH is not required for the build, but any +heal ability synergy good with +MIGHT from Helwalker, you can of cause swap it with other abilities :)

That -15% damage is not that a big deal as you think honestly. Because your damage is so high that normally u just send your Paladin to clear the mobs while your teammates cheer behind you. With the double lash + FoD u almost one shot every mob with dual wielding sabre.

And the key to this build is the Eternal Devotion + Lightning Strikes + high MIGHT for killing, while keep standing frontline with White flame + Silver tides, LoH can help your teammates but I Do agree with all the heals from White flame and silver tides I barely use it.

Edited by dunehunter

If I am asked to vote the power level of all Paladin subclasses, I would rank them as Bleak Walker = Kind Wayfarers > GoldPact Knight > ShieldBearer > Darcozzi Paladini. 

Honestly the minor flame shield is as weak as it is in Poe 1. I can imagine the flame shield will be only useful for the first a few level of the game but that-1 zeal max REALLY hurt in early game.

Kind Wayfarer is alright as long as players place the character at right position. And with right build it can be really potential.

Bleak Walker works really good with Rogue, whatever subclasses u pick, as the +sicken to FoD works sweetly with sneak attack. I runned a playthrough with a Bleak Walker/Assasin dual wielding Dagger/Sabre and Pistols, which is a lot fun to play. 

Haven't tried GoldPact Knight and ShieldBearer that much but I feel its a good subclass for fighters as a defender/leader build.

I'm really hoping that Pallegina despite joining the Kind Wayfarers story-wise (at least in my game) will retain her unique Paladin order bonuses instead of being gimped with the Kind Wayfarer penalties.

You might already be aware of this, but Pallegina doesn't necessarily become a Kind Wayfarer in Deadfire: it depends on how you resolved her personal quest in Pillars.

@dunehunter:

When I say that you do not need LoH, I mean that you do not need it to keep yourself alive if you can heal yourself using FoD.

You should learn LoH and maybe even upgrade it to greater LoH. Having greater LoH means you can give another party member (or yourself if really needed) a large healing and a nice protective buff.

Since you are going to kill a lot, inspiring triumph might be nice for your party.

(Can every paladin learn it?, Does it give a bonus to all defenses or only deflection? It is so hard not to confuse the talents from PoE1 and PoE2.)

• 3 months later...

FoD heals the paladin themselves in my test playthrough. And Dual wielding = Double heals from white flames. My FoD heals around 50 hp with two sabre. Thats only one FoD, and you can do 5 FoD in one battle, which was insanely powerful.

Yeah LoH is not required for the build, but any +heal ability synergy good with +MIGHT from Helwalker, you can of cause swap it with other abilities :)

That -15% damage is not that a big deal as you think honestly. Because your damage is so high that normally u just send your Paladin to clear the mobs while your teammates cheer behind you. With the double lash + FoD u almost one shot every mob with dual wielding sabre.

And the key to this build is the Eternal Devotion + Lightning Strikes + high MIGHT for killing, while keep standing frontline with White flame + Silver tides, LoH can help your teammates but I Do agree with all the heals from White flame and silver tides I barely use it.

Disclaimer - I Haven't Played PoE1

How do "Lightning Strikes" work? 

Also:

1) Talent aspect?

2) Eternal Devotion?

3) Inspired Defences?

4) Zealot Endurance?

The PoED resources I've seen (mainly fextralife) have no stats and minimal descriptions...  what's the best resource for pre-release character creation?  Refer to PoE1 stuff?

Lightning Strikes cost 1 "Mortification" (fixed class resource of monks besides wounds - you'll have 5 mortification at lvl 9 for example) and will speed your attacks up for roughly ten seconds. It also adds a 30% shocking lash to your attacks. That means: if you do 50 crush damage it would add (50*0.3 =) 15 shock damage.

Eternal Devotion is an upgrade of Flames of Devotion. Usually Flames of Devotions costs 1 Zeal and will add a rel. high burning lash to a single (full) attack. With Eternal Devotion you will get a lasting 20% burning lash on your weapons which lasts for about 20 seconds.

You can combine Lightning Strikes with Eternal Devotion of you have a Monk/Paladin, meaning you can have +30% shocking lash + 20% burning lash during longer periods of time - which is powerful.

Inspired Defenses is an ability of the paladin that gives him bonuses against certain afflictions.

Zealous Endurance is an aura the paladin can choose to emit, It gives the party +1 armor.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm new to Pillars of Eternity and wanted to run this build for my first playthrough of Deadfire. What kind of armor would you wear with this build? Light, medium or heavy?

Heavy armor, because with helwalker penalty u are very fragile, u keeps yourself alive by healing constantly, so better not be one-shotted.

Would instead Shattered Pillar/Bleak walker work too? I know it will lack self heal of Kind but it also won't have Hellwalker extra damage taken. Especially now that Might seems to be additive I think Pillar is not that far behind Hellwalker in terms of damage.

What do you think?

Also this thread is too old :) I made this build in beta 1....

Well my question TWO posts above still stands :D

Oh sorry, but I thought I answered u in your most broken build thread, single class shattered pillar or nalpazca is best imo.

Oh sorry, but I thought I answered u in your most broken build thread, single class shattered pillar or nalpazca is best imo.

Ok, just wanted to know if Bleak Walker adds something that can outdamage in the end a pure Shattered Pillar monk. Since we don't have any hard math yet so far it seems that pure monk will out damage any Multi Monk in end game. At least that is my impression

Ok, just wanted to know if Bleak Walker adds something that can outdamage in the end a pure Shattered Pillar monk. Since we don't have any hard math yet so far it seems that pure monk will out damage any Multi Monk in end game. At least that is my impression

There are just some ability u wanna get as soon as possible, Torment Raise, Turning Wheel, Inner Death. If these are not so good, I'd go Shattered Pillar/Devoted or Shattered Pillar/Paladin for more tankiness.