Worst possible build?

fiddlesticks

One of the things a lot of players were looking for with Deadfire is just how many crazy and potentially overpowered builds you could make with the new multiclass system. However, out of personal curiosity and because I think it would be valuable beta feedback, I'm interested in the exact opposite question: Within the current constraints of the beta, what is the absolute worst possible build to play?

The best (worst) I could come up with so far is a Mage Slayer/Wizard focused on all the self-buffs. The Mage Slayer's penalty to the duration of buffs makes this combination far less useful than most other martial/caster hybrids. But I'm sure there must be even more broken - in a bad - way combos.

• Like 5

A Kind Wayfarer/Rogue?

Hey! That Sounds like Robin Hood. No dissing the Prince of Thieves!

Kind Wayfarer/Trickster might not be too bad.

Is Priest of Skaen/Rogue as bad as it sounds? I read Priest of Skaen get a weaker Sneak Attack---does it stack with Rogue sneak attack?

I guess it might be the same as in PoE1: A ranged barbarien.

Max out res and con while dumping mig, dex and per. Maybe it gets worse if you combine it with a mage who learns nothing but defensive self buffs (nothing that causes damage, CC or increases your acc or damage. Use the most useless spells with the longest casting time.

When writing this I have another idea:

A pure mage with only self buffs, no damage spells, no CC, no summons. Dump con and res to make sure you die fast even with your spells. High mig is useless if you have no skills that deal damage.

The worst possible build atm may be a rangere who uses melee weapons. ;)

Take Marked Prey/Takedown. Focus on pet passives and use a saber (or two). Pick Stalker for the defensive passive or Sharpshooter for the +pen under 4m.

It's a pretty good low maintenance, minus managing the pet, damage dealer from what I tested.

a melee single class priest?

it was pretty doable in POE1 now without any global talents it hardly seems possible

Why? Everyone has the same base accuracy and medium shield modal is a pretty good defensive tool. They can also self-heal pretty well.

Edited by morhilane

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

The worst possible build atm may be a rangere who uses melee weapons. ;)

Take Marked Prey/Takedown. Focus on pet passives and use a saber (or two). Pick Stalker for the defensive passive or Sharpshooter for the +pen under 4m.

It's a pretty good low maintenance, minus managing the pet, damage dealer from what I tested.

a melee single class priest?

it was pretty doable in POE1 now without any global talents it hardly seems possible

Why? Everyone has the same base accuracy and medium shield modal is a pretty good defensive tool. They can also self-heal pretty well.

Can you use the Priest weapon summon as your main weapon? Is that a viable option?

Can you use the Priest weapon summon as your main weapon? Is that a viable option?

At level 6 in the beta, the weapon summoned is of the "fine" quality and doesn't appear to have anything special attached to it. It has a 6sec cast time, but last a long time. I personally suggest using a real fine weapon(s) for now. I had fun watching Merc Priest smash things with a summoned greatsword though.

I need to check Firebrand too (Priest of Eothas gets that spell for free). Wizard's Parasitic Staff seems to just be a fine quaterstaff right now, so I wonder if the weapon summon spells are done or if they still need to add their special effects.

Edited by morhilane

What? The priest weapon has +60% corrode damage as lash - for example berath's great sword and also Wael's rod. The rod's blast also gets the lash by the way. On top of that it's fine at lvl 6. That's better than flames of devotions (which is limited by zeal).

I paired this with a devoted fighter and suddenly this priest does great melee damage with the simlest auto-attacks (because he can graze and penetrate which a single class priest with a great sword can't do).

If the first thing you do when encounter starts is to summon the weapon it's not that bad - but still: 6 seconds of summoning time sucks. You can't buff in that time for example.

I think doing the same with a monk with Ligthning Strikes or a paladin with FoD (here Berath + Bleak Walker for awesome +50% burn + 85% corrode sadly doesn't work) would also result in good melee performances.

The summoned weapon works like a normal weapon in regard of proficiencies and so on.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

What? The priest weapon has +60% corrode damage as lash - for example berath's great sword and also Wael's rod. The rod's blast also gets the lash by the way. On top of that it's fine at lvl 6. That's better than flames of devotions (which is limited by zeal).

It does? I don't remember seeing that when I looked at the log.

What? The priest weapon has +60% corrode damage as lash - for example berath's great sword and also Wael's rod.

60%? Oh that's yummy.

At the same time Firebrand turned out to be really bad. I mean it deals damage as usual great sword, but is burn/piercing instead of slash/piercing.

Btw, Bitting Whip fully stacks with Soul Whip (resulting in +0.6 to damage coefficient). But shh =)

As for bad builds, the following come to mind:

- Bleakwalker/Lifegiver - you shall not heal

- Hellwalker/Assassin - how big of a blow can we take

- Skald/Sharpshooter - the definition of master of none

Edited by MaxQuest
  • Like 2

So a barbarien/ranger would be a bad combination, I think.

Sharpshooter/Barbarian... otoh a ranged Mage Slayer with a fast weapon might not be that bad? (Might even be able to get an AoE ranged attack for applying spell disrupting....)  

Perhaps Berserker could help make up for Sharpshooter's slower attack speed? While Sharpshooter's lack of AoE takes away Berserker Frenzy's drawback.

It does? I don't remember seeing that when I looked at the log.

I couldn't find anything about the weapon's stats when I summoned it. I'm glad to hear it's that good.

I also remember that the priest weapon spell had a pretty long casting time, which made using it pretty unfun.