Mage Slayer and buff duration

fiddlesticks

Question

According to the Mage Slayer's description, one of its disadvantages is that beneficial Spell effects have -50% duration. However, this seems to apply even to non-Spell buffs, such as Frenzy. Futhermore, the reduction doesn't always seem to be calculated correctly. My Mage Slayer had a 40% duration bonus from Intellect, giving him a standard Frenzy duration of  21 seconds. Yet activating the ability only gave me around 9, rather than the expected 10.5.

• Like 3

8 answers to this question

Also, the Mage Slayer effect doesn't prevent enemies from using Frenzy (or at least combat frenzy). If it counts as a "spell" for the duration penalty, it should also count as a "spell" for the debuff....

25.2 s Frenzy duration was reduced to about 10.9, instead of the expected 12.6....

• Like 2

FYI They've changed this, Mage Slayer now has a flat -50% duration on beneficial effects, which seems really harsh, but I guess it's for people who don't want a fenzy-build barbarian. The spell resistance probability is only 5% though, it feels like it should be 10-20% given strength of the malus.

• Like 1

It's just laughable. All of it. Making a niche subclass really bad is the best way to make sure it never gets played.

That's true. I think it would fix it - or at least make it more fun - if the malus remained similarly harsh (excluding abilities), and magic resistance would be scaling with powerlevel and the class special worked on range as well to accommodate more build types (right now, afaik, only melee barb is viable).

I agree.

The duration penalty should only apply to spells, but both beneficial and detrimental.

Spell resistance shouldn't rely on chance (even less when it's laughably low like 5%) - even the bonus to defense versus spells before the patch was consistently more useful, even though it was fairly low as well.