Master Thread of Typos and Text Errors

AndreaColombo

Question

Hello.

I figured I'd start a master thread where to collect all typos and punctuation-, grammar-, and syntax-related mistakes we run into in the backer beta.

I'll provide screenshots of each I find to facilitate their finding on the devs' part.

I would ask Obsidian to confirm whether these will be looked at, for there would be no point in keeping an eye out for them otherwise; appreciate they are minor issues compared to most other things right now, so it would be understandable.

• In the mouse-over text for Kohopa: a) "Many Huana worship Berath as of Rikuhu"; I believe "of" should be omitted. b) "...two constituent eels, Kohopa..."; I believe a colon is in order after "constituent eels". c) Never mind the third underlined item in the screenshot; I've changed my mind about it ;)

l43IOlP.png

Edited by AndreaColombo
  • Like 1

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

24 answers to this question

Other typos collected from the forum:

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/94473-typo/?hl=typo

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/94339-typo-and-minor-ui-issues-in-character-creationlevel-up/?hl=typo

I'm omitting threads with typos that have already been acknowledged by QA.

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Hey guys,

Thanks for making this =)

I think this is a great idea! It would be real nice to have all the typos in the same place like we do for the missing strings.

Unfortunately I have no idea how to pin a post (or if I even have that kind of power here), but I'll ask someone to do it tomorrow so this thread will always be at the top of the first page.

• Like 1

I try my very best.

"effecting" should be "affecting":

bDxbmVt.png

"explative" should be "expletive":

hwSmHWF.png

Compound adjectives that include an adverb never hyphenate (but if they've been consistently hyphenated throughout the game, it may be too much of a hassle to correct them all):

gDzouA1.png

I believe the correct structure for this sentence requires a "to" there (i.e. "better to X than to Y"):

tpBHFwY.png

https://imgur.com/a/m4Pzr

I consider this a text error, so I post it here.

In combat, in the character screen and in the upper part of the text in the talent tree the sharpshooter class gets PERMANENTLY +2 penetration and 15% hit -> crit with ranged weapons.

In the lower part of the talent tree says that you get 15% hit -> crit when attacking targets further away than 4m OR +2 penetration when the target is closer than 4m. This would mean that you cannot have both effects at once.

The combat log shows that you can have both effects at once, so the lower description of the talent tree is wrong and everything else is correct.

In the Conjurer subclass's description, there's a missing line break between the two penalties listed (all other classes have a line break between each penalty):

RLLm2QU.png

In the description of Thrust of Tattered Veils, there appears to be an extra space between the initial article "A" and the following word "quick":

LTautid.png

I think this may be a grammatical error for some of the dialogue with Himuihi.

When she reacts to the player character being an Island Aumaua: “Hmph. As more outsiders pile in, sons the daughters of the tribes begin to look out”.

Hello.

I figured I'd start a master thread where to collect all typos and punctuation-, grammar-, and syntax-related mistakes we run into in the backer beta.

I'll provide screenshots of each I find to facilitate their finding on the devs' part.

I would ask Obsidian to confirm whether these will be looked at, for there would be no point in keeping an eye out for them otherwise; appreciate they are minor issues compared to most other things right now, so it would be understandable.

• In the mouse-over text for Kohopa: a) "Many Huana worship Berath as of Rikuhu"; I believe "of" should be omitted. b) "...two constituent eels, Kohopa..."; I believe a colon is in order after "constituent eels". c) Never mind the third underlined item in the screenshot; I've changed my mind about it ;)

l43IOlP.png

I spotted that one last night and was gonna post about it, heh.

It's also an interesting take on the wheel and Ourobouros.

• Like 1

The first NPC you meet, Vektor, is described as a dwarf, but he doesn't look like a dwarf, he's actually slightly taller than the elven merc next to him.

Screenshot of text error: https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/920290112591584341/F8655D235EBA5528A55F2D9574A3A5A3CD78180D/

Then again, an overheard conversation with other NPCs seems to indicate he's supposed to be a dwarf? Maybe I'll post a fuller bug report.

Edited by smjjames

"Unsually" should be "Unusually"

IMeoPCG.png

"A" should be "An"

yLFnwVm.png

In the following racial trait description, the word "history" is hyperlinked even though it clearly does not refer to the in-game mechanic:

gg6ZsrQ.png

Likewise the word "food" in this conversation:

uqGA1ba.png

Not sure whether this can be helped, but I figured I'd point it out.

"+125%" is inaccurate; It's either "125%" or "+25%"

kznOp96.png

https://imgur.com/a/1y1EC

I do not like how this looks.

In the text between "self:" and the big "T", there should be commas between the afflictions and the "s" should be added to afflictions.

It would be best to merge the two texts to: "The paladin gains +20 to all DEFENSES against RESOLVE, STRENGH, and DEXTERITY AFFLICTIONS."

or: "The paladin gains +20 to all DEFENSES against attacks that inflict RESOLVE, STRENGH, and DEXTERITY AFFLICTIONS."

The bold words are links.

note: I am not a native english speaker, so please correct me if I am wrong.

• Like 1

"a likely" should be "likely a"

r5iePBX.png

"a likely" should be "likely a"

r5iePBX.png

Seems more colloquial than error, it's a figure of speech, as if to interject oneself.

Correct grammar: The Engwithan woodcutter, who carried this bronze-headed hatchet, was a (likely) tradesman rather than warrior; though he undoubtedly faced countless dangers in the ancient woods where he earned his living.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you say, "he was a likely tradesman," you're saying that he was believable as a tradesman. Perhaps he wasn't a tradesman, but people would easily mistake him for one. If you say, "he was likely a tradesman," you're saying there's a good chance he was a tradesman for a living (regardless of whether or not he appeared as one.)

In the context of a sentence that continues with "rather than a warrior," it seems likely to me that the original intent was to say, "he was likely a tradesman rather than a warrior." As in, "it's more probable that he was a tradesman than a warrior." If you say he was believable as a tradesman, the follow-up "than a warrior" makes no sense.

Or am I missing something here?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you say, "he was a likely tradesman," you're saying that he was believable as a tradesman. Perhaps he wasn't a tradesman, but people would easily mistake him for one. If you say, "he was likely a tradesman," you're saying there's a good chance he was a tradesman for a living (regardless of whether or not he appeared as one.)

In the context of a sentence that continues with "rather than a warrior," it seems likely to me that the original intent was to say, "he was likely a tradesman rather than a warrior." As in, "it's more probable that he was a tradesman than a warrior." If you say he was believable as a tradesman, the follow-up "than a warrior" makes no sense.

Or am I missing something here?

No, I don't think the meaning changes, just one is informal and one is formal. The way they've written it is artistic license.

• Like 1