Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Master Thread of Typos and Text Errors

Conversations User Interface

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

Madscientist

Madscientist

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1026 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

https://imgur.com/a/1y1EC

I do not like how this looks.

In the text between "self:" and the big "T", there should be commas between the afflictions and the "s" should be added to afflictions.

It would be best to merge the two texts to: "The paladin gains +20 to all DEFENSES against RESOLVE, STRENGH, and DEXTERITY AFFLICTIONS."

or: "The paladin gains +20 to all DEFENSES against attacks that inflict RESOLVE, STRENGH, and DEXTERITY AFFLICTIONS."

The bold words are links.

note: I am not a native english speaker, so please correct me if I am wrong.

• AndreaColombo likes this

AndreaColombo

AndreaColombo

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4025 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

"a likely" should be "likely a"

r5iePBX.png

AwesomeOcelot

AwesomeOcelot

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1238 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

"a likely" should be "likely a"

r5iePBX.png

Seems more colloquial than error, it's a figure of speech, as if to interject oneself.

Correct grammar: The Engwithan woodcutter, who carried this bronze-headed hatchet, was a (likely) tradesman rather than warrior; though he undoubtedly faced countless dangers in the ancient woods where he earned his living.

AndreaColombo

AndreaColombo

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4025 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you say, "he was a likely tradesman," you're saying that he was believable as a tradesman. Perhaps he wasn't a tradesman, but people would easily mistake him for one. If you say, "he was likely a tradesman," you're saying there's a good chance he was a tradesman for a living (regardless of whether or not he appeared as one.)

In the context of a sentence that continues with "rather than a warrior," it seems likely to me that the original intent was to say, "he was likely a tradesman rather than a warrior." As in, "it's more probable that he was a tradesman than a warrior." If you say he was believable as a tradesman, the follow-up "than a warrior" makes no sense.

Or am I missing something here?

AwesomeOcelot

AwesomeOcelot

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1238 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you say, "he was a likely tradesman," you're saying that he was believable as a tradesman. Perhaps he wasn't a tradesman, but people would easily mistake him for one. If you say, "he was likely a tradesman," you're saying there's a good chance he was a tradesman for a living (regardless of whether or not he appeared as one.)

In the context of a sentence that continues with "rather than a warrior," it seems likely to me that the original intent was to say, "he was likely a tradesman rather than a warrior." As in, "it's more probable that he was a tradesman than a warrior." If you say he was believable as a tradesman, the follow-up "than a warrior" makes no sense.

Or am I missing something here?

No, I don't think the meaning changes, just one is informal and one is formal. The way they've written it is artistic license.

• AndreaColombo likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Conversations, User Interface

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users