Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Racial Traits

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

JerekKruger

JerekKruger

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3366 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I'm liking the Inspiration/Affliction system a lot, and the "resistance X affliction" racials seem really good as a result. Might and Dexterity seem particularly good as they can give immunity to particular hard forms of crowd control.

My thoughts on some of the other racials:

• Island Aumaua: I haven't noted exactly what penalties slog zones impart on characters (other than slower speed) but unless they are crippling this will only be good if slog zones are incredibly common
  • Boreal Dwarf: I'd prefer that grazes became universal again, but if they remain limited then this might be pretty good for spellcasters.
  • Death Godlike: do more damage to enemies you've basically already beaten, and do more damage shortly before you die (or are healed). Pretty bad.
  • Fire Godlike: the Ashen Skin bonus is too low at the moment. If Battle Forged doesn't scale with level then it's pretty awful too.
  • Moon Godlike: if this scales with level it might be okay, otherwise it's only useful in the early game.
  • Nature Godlike: the worst godlike in PoE is now pretty good in Deadfire. I like this ability.
  • Human: much like Pallid Fate this isn't great since it requires you to be low on health. At least in PoE it activated and you kept it after healing.

Hopefully these will be tweaked a bit.

• aartz likes this

JerekKruger

JerekKruger

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3366 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Intellect:

- tier1: Confused
- tier2: Charmed
- tier3: Dominated

The Berserker subclass causes Rage to afflict the Barbarian with Confusion (if I recall correctly), which is pretty terrible. I wonder if, at the moment, casting an Intellect Inspiration on the Barbarian would remove this affliction, resulting in superior Rage without the downside.

More interesting would be whether this mechanic (assuming it does work that way) is intended i.e. whether Obsidian intend for Intellect Inspirations removing Berserker's confusion to be a valid strategy. This would actually make the subclass decent (for those who can be bothered with the micro of always casting an Intellect Inspiration at least).

• MaxQuest likes this

Aramintai

Aramintai

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1424 posts
  • Steam:Aramintai
  • PSN Portable ID:Aramintai
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

And if I have innate tier 1 attribute resistance, will casting tier 1 attribute inspiration save me from tier 2 affliction? Or do I still need to cast tier 2 inspiration to negate it?

Great question! I believe that the intention (and after testing it right now this is currently how it works) is for all tiers of inspirations/afflictions to counter each other. So tier 1/2/3 afflictions will counter any tier of the same attribute's inpsiration, and vice versa.

So if your character gets paralyzed (tier 3 dexterity affliction), you can cast a tier 1 dexterity inspiration on them to counter the paralyze and end it early. Additionally, if you have a tier 3 inspiration, the enemy can use a tier 1 affliction to counter it.

But for resistances, it removes the threat of the tier 1 affliction; the enemy(or you, if a creature has the resistance =P) will have to use a tier 2 or greater to counter any inspiration for that attribute, since the tier 1 will be fully resisted.

That doesn't really answer my question - are innate resistance+inspiration additive or not?

KDubya

KDubya

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1543 posts
  • Deadfire Backer

Fighters can get resistance to resolve, might and dexterity afflictions which would stack with the racial from Coastal Aumaua, and Wood Elves.

So then a Wood Elf fighter with the Unstoppable tier four ability would be immune to Hobbled, immune to Immobilized and Paralyze gets downgraded to Hobbled.

A Coastal Aumaua with the Body Control tier four ability would be immune to Staggered, immune to Dazed and Stun gets downgraded to Staggered.

Wow!

That makes them a really good choice as the big threat is from afflictions that cold stop you like stun and paralyze. 

EDIT - Forgot that Wild Orlans get Resolve resistance so a Wild Orlan Fighter with Fearless would be immune to Shaken, immune to Frightened and Terrified gets downgraded to Shaken. Not as good as the others but not too shabby.

EDIT 2 - A Monk with Swift Strikes active gets the Quick Inspiration so that would mean a Wood Elf Fighter/Monk  would be immune to even Paralyze while under the influence of Swift Strikes.

Edited by KDubya, 19 November 2017 - 08:10 PM.

• AndreaColombo likes this

Katarack21

Katarack21

Chief Eldritch Abomination of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3087 posts
  • Steam:Katarack21
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Let's talk about 'em!

Well, here are the thoughts on the current racials:

Resistance to X Afflictions:
- as already mentioned it is not intuitive enough plus these talents are accompanied by a quite vague descriptions.
- also some of these resistances can easily turn way more important than the others. For example in PoE1 having an extra defense vs stun would be much more impactful than a similar defense amount vs hobble, because a hobbled caster can still keep tossing spells.
- additionally it depends on average encounter design. In PoE1 we had to face much more paralyzing enemies than pronning. Not to mention that stunning and pronning enemies were usually already easier to deal with, and that's one of the reasons why I never used a Coastal Aumaua.
- and as usual: the interaction with similar effects, like barbarian's Unflinching talent is still unclear.

Heya MaxQuest (and everyone else in this thread),

Thought I'd drop in and try to explain what "Resistance to X Afflictions" means. I know we're going to release a comprehensive explanation eventually, but maybe I can help ya understand it for the beta since a lot of people have questions about it.

So in PoE2, Afflictions have both a "tier" and an "attribute"; the "attribute" is what attribute it affects, and the "tier" is how strong the affliction is within that attribute subset.

For example, let's look at Dexterity Afflictions:

• "Hobbled" is the tier 1 dexterity affliction. It gives you -5 Dex, and is the weakest affliction that affects Dex.
  • "Immobilized" is the tier 2 dexterity affliction. It does everything hobbled does with the addition of some other stuff. It's strictly better than hobbled, since it's a higher tier.
  • "Paralyzed" is the tier 3 dexterity affliction. Again, it does everything the previous tier (immobilized) does, with the addition of more. It's the best of the dexteritiy afflictions.

With that information in mind, resistance is actually pretty huge: it downgrades afflictions to their previous tier. So if your character has resistance to dexterity afflictions and gets hit with a paralyze spell/ability, they will be immobilized instead. If they're hit with an immobilized spell/ability, they'll be hobbled. And if they're hit with a hobble spell/ability, they'll resist it entirely and not be affected at all.

Resistance does not help your defenses against spells and abilities that apply these afflictions, it only downgrades the afflictions once they've actually hit you.

I hope that helps!  =)

That explains a hell of a lot.

MaxQuest

MaxQuest

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2441 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

The Berserker subclass causes Rage to afflict the Barbarian with Confusion (if I recall correctly), which is pretty terrible. I wonder if, at the moment, casting an Intellect Inspiration on the Barbarian would remove this affliction, resulting in superior Rage without the downside.

Yeap. That's the first thing that I thought too.
Even double checked if there are any races with Resistance to Intellect Afflictions =)
Gonna check who can cast the Smart Inspiration.

Nail

Nail

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 329 posts
  • Steam:Perebor
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Wow, seems it's Wood Elves meta for PotD solo :)

Paralyze Immune is OP.

morhilane

morhilane

Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1131 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Yeap. That's the first thing that I thought too.
Even double checked if there are any races with Resistance to Intellect Afflictions =)
Gonna check who can cast the Smart Inspiration.

Priest have a spell that grant Smart, I don't remember the name right now. Wizard's Infuse with Vital Essence was turned into Fit + Smart as well, but that's a self spell.

Edited by morhilane, 20 November 2017 - 09:20 AM.

• MaxQuest likes this

JerekKruger

JerekKruger

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3366 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Paladins have Mental Fortress (Resistance to Intellect Afflictions) as a passive ability. Unfortunately it's Power Level 4 so can't be reached by multiclass characters in the beta, so I can't test whether it works with the Berserker's Rage.

EDIT: "AddAbility CHARNAME Mental_Fortress" allowed me to add the talent to my Berserker/Paladin. As far as I could tell it suppresses the confusion from the Berserker's Rage. It wasn't entirely obvious, since after using Rage a red "confusion" text over on my Berserker on screen, however mousing over the various buffs next to his portrait showed no sign of confusion, and his carnage attacks didn't hit his allies, so I think it works.

Edited by JerekKruger, 20 November 2017 - 08:28 AM.

• CottonWolf, Dr. Hieronymous Alloy, MaxQuest and 1 other like this

CottonWolf

CottonWolf

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 400 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Paladins have Mental Fortress (Resistance to Intellect Afflictions) as a passive ability. Unfortunately it's Power Level 4 so can't be reached by multiclass characters in the beta, so I can't test whether it works with the Berserker's Rage.

If it does, a multiclassed Berserker/Bleak Walker's a really cool concept.

• illathid and JerekKruger like this

Gromnir

Gromnir

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7774 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

from our pov, if we understand correct, the main benefit o' the racial benefits is a bit counter-intuitive.  if am playing our typical tanky wild orlan paladin with elevated intellect and resolve, our will defense is gonna be almost unassailable, particular now with the removal o' most/all (?) graze afflictions.  the reduction o' a successful resolve affliction by 1 tier is swell and all for our tank, but the best use we can see from such racial talents is to use'em to counter a weak defense.  poe foes seem to have a preternatural ability to target the member o' our party with the weakest defense to... whatever.  poe fampyrs attempting to charm will target weakest will defense character. 'cause o' high will defense and enemy ai, the characters with these fancy new racial abilities is the characters least likely to need 'em... unless one builds counter-intuitive.

coastal aumaua with bad fort saves benefits most from racial ability, no?  is same for orlans and wood elves.  is the characters who is most likely to fail to defend 'gainst afflictions who most benefit from the trait.

not complaining, but is kinda weird, no? might result in a few unexpected builds.

HA! Good Fun!

ps if somebody already mentioned our observation, am apologizing as we only scanned the thread after obsidian clarified.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 15260 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Death's Usher triggers at 25% of enemy's health (aka "Near Death" in Deadfire).

Same with Bloody SLaughter by the way. I got upgraded from 10% in PoE1 to 25% now. Actually it was quite useful on my last Skald/Berserker. Not because of the increased damage when critting low health enemies, but because the crits give me phrases, even if they don't matter that much in terms of damage.

dragubaba

dragubaba

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 98 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Goddammit, two of my three playthroughs are with boreal dwarfs. Stun immunity versus something that can be rendered useless with weapon profiency (right?). Great.

dam

dam

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 518 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Orlan, Hearth: 10% of hits converted to crits.

I'm sorry bro, I'm gonna have to disagree and correct this for the sake of accuracy, unless it was changed from POE1:

10% hit to crit conversion only when attacking the same target as an ally.

That is a very important distinction, notably for solo playthroughs.

Would you kindly edit the original post ?

Gromnir

Gromnir

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7774 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Death's Usher triggers at 25% of enemy's health (aka "Near Death" in Deadfire).

Same with Bloody SLaughter by the way. I got upgraded from 10% in PoE1 to 25% now. Actually it was quite useful on my last Skald/Berserker. Not because of the increased damage when critting low health enemies, but because the crits give me phrases, even if they don't matter that much in terms of damage.

am finding this to be exploitable with our own skald characters. single weapon spear or club with negligible ap in the hands o' the correct hearth orlan skald multi-class receives abundant crits, and the damage from the crits is o' little concern when am able to functional spam invocations.

HA! Good Fun!

morhilane

morhilane

Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1131 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Looks like people will have to stack Intellect resistance, because you can't cast buff on enemies (I just tried). That means you can't remove charmed/dominated, only prevent it by having intellect inspiration on the character to get that removed.

dam

dam

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 518 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Looks like people will have to stack Intellect resistance, because you can't cast buff on enemies (I just tried). That means you can't remove charmed/dominated, only prevent it by having intellect inspiration on the character to get that removed.

You can also pause it with Liberating Exhortation (pally).

dunehunter

dunehunter

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2559 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer

Just tested precast Smart on Berserker and let them frenzy, Smart do actually canceled Confuse. So I'd say Intelligent Resistance will make them immune to Confuse.

Tamerlane

Tamerlane

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1125 posts

Orlan, Hearth: 10% of hits converted to crits.

I'm sorry bro, I'm gonna have to disagree and correct this for the sake of accuracy, unless it was changed from POE1:

10% hit to crit conversion only when attacking the same target as an ally.

That is a very important distinction, notably for solo playthroughs.

Would you kindly edit the original post ?

Good point. I neglected to look at the full description of their ability.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 15260 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Just tested precast Smart on Berserker and let them frenzy, Smart do actually canceled Confuse. So I'd say Intelligent Resistance will make them immune to Confuse.

Oh nice find!

Does that also mean that when you multiclass a Berserker with any fighter and get the ability that gives you resistance against intellect afflictions that your frenzy will not confuse you anymore? It should shift down the confuse to a lesser tier - and since confuse is tier 1...?

Although it can be benefical to hit friendly targets... Skald/Berserker could summon Skeletons and produce a lot more crits for his invocations I guess. ;)

Edited by Boeroer, 21 November 2017 - 12:03 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users