Racial Traits

Tamerlane

The Berserker subclass causes Rage to afflict the Barbarian with Confusion (if I recall correctly), which is pretty terrible. I wonder if, at the moment, casting an Intellect Inspiration on the Barbarian would remove this affliction, resulting in superior Rage without the downside.

Yeap. That's the first thing that I thought too.

Even double checked if there are any races with Resistance to Intellect Afflictions =)

Gonna check who can cast the Smart Inspiration.

Yeap. That's the first thing that I thought too.

Even double checked if there are any races with Resistance to Intellect Afflictions =)

Gonna check who can cast the Smart Inspiration.

Priest have a spell that grant Smart, I don't remember the name right now. Wizard's Infuse with Vital Essence was turned into Fit + Smart as well, but that's a self spell.

Edited by morhilane
  • Like 1

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

Paladins have Mental Fortress (Resistance to Intellect Afflictions) as a passive ability. Unfortunately it's Power Level 4 so can't be reached by multiclass characters in the beta, so I can't test whether it works with the Berserker's Rage.

EDIT: "AddAbility CHARNAME Mental_Fortress" allowed me to add the talent to my Berserker/Paladin. As far as I could tell it suppresses the confusion from the Berserker's Rage. It wasn't entirely obvious, since after using Rage a red "confusion" text over on my Berserker on screen, however mousing over the various buffs next to his portrait showed no sign of confusion, and his carnage attacks didn't hit his allies, so I think it works.

Edited by JerekKruger
  • Like 4

Paladins have Mental Fortress (Resistance to Intellect Afflictions) as a passive ability. Unfortunately it's Power Level 4 so can't be reached by multiclass characters in the beta, so I can't test whether it works with the Berserker's Rage.

If it does, a multiclassed Berserker/Bleak Walker's a really cool concept.

• Like 2

from our pov, if we understand correct, the main benefit o' the racial benefits is a bit counter-intuitive.  if am playing our typical tanky wild orlan paladin with elevated intellect and resolve, our will defense is gonna be almost unassailable, particular now with the removal o' most/all (?) graze afflictions.  the reduction o' a successful resolve affliction by 1 tier is swell and all for our tank, but the best use we can see from such racial talents is to use'em to counter a weak defense.  poe foes seem to have a preternatural ability to target the member o' our party with the weakest defense to... whatever.  poe fampyrs attempting to charm will target weakest will defense character. 'cause o' high will defense and enemy ai, the characters with these fancy new racial abilities is the characters least likely to need 'em... unless one builds counter-intuitive.

coastal aumaua with bad fort saves benefits most from racial ability, no?  is same for orlans and wood elves.  is the characters who is most likely to fail to defend 'gainst afflictions who most benefit from the trait.

not complaining, but is kinda weird, no? might result in a few unexpected builds.

HA! Good Fun!

ps if somebody already mentioned our observation, am apologizing as we only scanned the thread after obsidian clarified.

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Death's Usher triggers at 25% of enemy's health (aka "Near Death" in Deadfire).

Same with Bloody SLaughter by the way. I got upgraded from 10% in PoE1 to 25% now. Actually it was quite useful on my last Skald/Berserker. Not because of the increased damage when critting low health enemies, but because the crits give me phrases, even if they don't matter that much in terms of damage.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Orlan, Hearth: 10% of hits converted to crits.

I'm sorry bro, I'm gonna have to disagree and correct this for the sake of accuracy, unless it was changed from POE1:

10% hit to crit conversion only when attacking the same target as an ally.

That is a very important distinction, notably for solo playthroughs.

Would you kindly edit the original post ?

Death's Usher triggers at 25% of enemy's health (aka "Near Death" in Deadfire).

Same with Bloody SLaughter by the way. I got upgraded from 10% in PoE1 to 25% now. Actually it was quite useful on my last Skald/Berserker. Not because of the increased damage when critting low health enemies, but because the crits give me phrases, even if they don't matter that much in terms of damage.

am finding this to be exploitable with our own skald characters. single weapon spear or club with negligible ap in the hands o' the correct hearth orlan skald multi-class receives abundant crits, and the damage from the crits is o' little concern when am able to functional spam invocations.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Looks like people will have to stack Intellect resistance, because you can't cast buff on enemies (I just tried). That means you can't remove charmed/dominated, only prevent it by having intellect inspiration on the character to get that removed.

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

Looks like people will have to stack Intellect resistance, because you can't cast buff on enemies (I just tried). That means you can't remove charmed/dominated, only prevent it by having intellect inspiration on the character to get that removed.

You can also pause it with Liberating Exhortation (pally).

Orlan, Hearth: 10% of hits converted to crits.

I'm sorry bro, I'm gonna have to disagree and correct this for the sake of accuracy, unless it was changed from POE1:

10% hit to crit conversion only when attacking the same target as an ally.

That is a very important distinction, notably for solo playthroughs.

Would you kindly edit the original post ?

Good point. I neglected to look at the full description of their ability.

jcod0.png

Just tested precast Smart on Berserker and let them frenzy, Smart do actually canceled Confuse. So I'd say Intelligent Resistance will make them immune to Confuse.

Oh nice find!

Does that also mean that when you multiclass a Berserker with any fighter and get the ability that gives you resistance against intellect afflictions that your frenzy will not confuse you anymore? It should shift down the confuse to a lesser tier - and since confuse is tier 1...?

Although it can be benefical to hit friendly targets... Skald/Berserker could summon Skeletons and produce a lot more crits for his invocations I guess. ;)

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Just tested precast Smart on Berserker and let them frenzy, Smart do actually canceled Confuse. So I'd say Intelligent Resistance will make them immune to Confuse.

Oh nice find!

Does that also mean that when you multiclass a Berserker with any fighter and get the ability that gives you resistance against intellect afflictions that your frenzy will not confuse you anymore? It should shift down the confuse to a lesser tier - and since confuse is tier 1...?

Yep. Someone tested it by artificially giving themselves the paladin skill that does it (Mental Fortress?), and it worked. It removes the debuff, meaning that there's a great synergy there.

Here it is:

EDIT: "AddAbility CHARNAME Mental_Fortress" allowed me to add the talent to my Berserker/Paladin. As far as I could tell it suppresses the confusion from the Berserker's Rage. It wasn't entirely obvious, since after using Rage a red "confusion" text over on my Berserker on screen, however mousing over the various buffs next to his portrait showed no sign of confusion, and his carnage attacks didn't hit his allies, so I think it works.

Edited by CottonWolf

Whoa. I quite like this new tier system. Might be less confusing than before, given that now we can at least have a chart explaining each one and their relationship with each other. I am looking forward to seeing how it plays, and curious about "inspirations" for each attribute as well.

I echo the sentiment. The tiered system’s really good! It just needs to be clearly explained in the game (which I reckon Obsidian are working on) as well as an in-game quick reference chart with the tiers and effects listed clearly and neatly.

It’s pretty good to be able to devise combos to overcome stuff like the Confusion effect from a Berserker’s Frenzy.

Only thing is that the resistance to X afflictions racials are much better than most others, so it really pays to play one of those races. The other racials should be made roughly equal in utility/power.

• Like 1

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Ok, we have the list about what each tier of each attribute for negative status effects is.

Is there a list where the positive status effects are listened and are there also 3 tiers for each attribute?

Now it would be nice to see such information within the game.

Searching the forum to find out what talents do is not fun.

Ok, we have the list about what each tier of each attribute for negative status effects is.

Is there a list where the positive status effects are listened and are there also 3 tiers for each attribute?

Now it would be nice to see such information within the game.

Searching the forum to find out what talents do is not fun.

Next patch is going to have a Cyclopedia entry for the Inspirations/Afflictions.

So since Inspiration and Affliction counter each other, what about we make them stack each other too? So if we put two Tier 1 Inspiration on a character, they will be upgraded to a Tier 2 Inspiration. Same as Affliction.

Anyone think this is a good idea?

At first I thought that was how it was going to work. I think it would probably be pretty exploitable though because some classes get inspiration buffs fairly early, and then could theoretically recast the same buff multiple times to quickly top out the system.