Sword/Pistol dual wielding

dunehunter

Well, both pistols and melee weapons are useful, and you have a limited number of slots to put your weapons in, so the real advantage right now is that it's convenient. You can run a rogue wielding a stiletto & pistol in one slot, and hatchet & shield in the other. That rogue can attack at range, in close combat with two different damage types, and will be able to defend itself if things get harry (hatchets can interrupt attacks, so they're good defensive weapons).

It'd be cool if you could fire your pistol in close combat, though.

Another thing to be mentioned is that when u dual wielding pistol, after the initial double shoot, the character will reload everytime he shoot, so its like mainhand shoot, reload -> offhand shoot -> reload and so on. I'd like to make it shoot both weapon and reload both because a lot abilities use 'full attack'.

And it would be nice to have a reload button to let us reload manually instead of automatically reload firearms since sometime we want to immediately swap to melee weapon after the alpha strikes.

Edited by dunehunter
  • Like 3

• 4 months later...

Does anyone have any more information on melee weapon/gun builds now that we have more info?  I intend on running a swashbuckling Bleak Walker with sabre and pistol, but not if it will completely gimp myself.  I messed around with the beta, and it seemed interesting but not very useful to fire off shots until they get in to melee and then fight it out with the blade until they're dead.  I suppose if you go for passives for both melee and gun it could be viable, but not anywhere near top tier

And it would be nice to have a reload button to let us reload manually instead of automatically reload firearms since sometime we want to immediately swap to melee weapon after the alpha strikes.

Don’t they attack with both weapons regardless. I equipped my rogue with two pistols recently and I am pretty sure he would fire both pistols during auto attack... I am pretty sure one of them should be empty.

Don’t they attack with both weapons regardless. I equipped my rogue with two pistols recently and I am pretty sure he would fire both pistols during auto attack... I am pretty sure one of them should be empty.

You are partly right, your rogue will do a full attack before reloading, but after reload he will only attack with one pistol and then reload. But full attack ability will still allow them to use both firearms, which is strange to me... When auto attack, reload only works on one pistol, but when you use full attack, that offhand is mysteriously reloaded too?

Edited by dunehunter

You are partly right, your rogue will do a full attack before reloading, but after reload he will only attack with one pistol and then reload. But full attack ability will still allow them to use both firearms, which is strange to me... When auto attack, reload only works on one pistol, but when you use full attack, that offhand is mysteriously reloaded too?

I'm still trying to figure out exactly what happens when you go blunderbuss primary / pistol offhand, and then set the pistol to Fast Reload modal. The blunderbuss definitely fires first, then  . . . . they alternate? or not quite?

A big issue with dual wielding a melee weapon and a pistol is that when you close range after firing the pistol your character will reload instead of immediately switching to the melee weapon.

Aloth massages his temples, shaking his head.