Feedback - Races & Appearances

Hello all,

Id like to give feedback on the different races appearance. I use the female character for feedback.

- The Aumaua both look worse than in PoE1. The eyes look very unnatural and dark. Their portraits show the color around the iris should be white as with humans. Also, both the main skin color and the pattern color are too shiny, making the whole body look too much like plastic.

- The Dwarfes are appealing to look at, especially the Boreral Dwarf which shows a distinct difference to the Mountain Dwarf and Inuit-like characteristics, appropriate to its lore. The Mountain Dwarfs jaws are a bit too wide as they stick out of the sides too much. Skin color selection is somewhat lacking.

- Wood Elf looks good. The female Pale Elf looks very masculine and has too large Irisis.

- Human subraces are each diverse and appealing to look at. Dark skin color / Ocean folk is looking somewhat plastic like the Aumaua due to the shinyness. Skin color selection is somewhat lacking.

- The Godlike. They look by far the worst. They all look even more plastic than the Aumaua. The Death Godlike hair effect is looking good but the head growth is not looking like anything organic. The Fire Godlike head is too big and too plastic. The horns are too big. The Fire Godlike looks like a shaven person with her head baldness on fire instead of having hair that is on fire. The fire effect is good though. The Moon Godlike has all its features looking like plastic: hairs, skin, pattern, growth, eyes. The hair and head growth was way better in PoE1. There is no distinct moon effect.

- The Nature Godlikes head is too big. It does not look like plastic but the face is lacking skin textures and details. The Horns could use some work to look more like in the portraits. The ears should look much more like Orlan ears for the Nature Godlike, instead of human ears. The eyes should look more like human eyes as also shown in the portraits, being the Godlike race closest to human appearance (according to the portraits). The body, when taking off the clothes, has too many vines and no other plants / fungi. The head could use some flowers.

- All Godlikes should be able to at least get a basic skin color selection. The Moon and Nature Godlikes should also get a hair color selection, as they have distinct hair. The colors should still be reserved for appropriate ones but there are portraits with a (human) white skinned Fire Godlike, a whitish (+hair) colored Moon Godlike and several almost human skinned Nature Godlikes. Fire, Nature and Moon Godlikes should also be able to select a different hairstyle as much as the Orlan can, which brings us to ...

- The Orlan look absolutely georgeous and adorable. Their head is very well done. Their hair is distinct and looking very natural. Their ears are sooo cute ! The only bad thing is that the Hearth Orlan uses the same body hair as the Wild Orlan unlike the lore suggests. The skin color selection could be improved though. I'll play as an Hearth Orlan for sure :)

Edited by Falk Schütze

I like what we've been shown so far... Favourites are definitely the new nature and fire godlike models, great stuff.

- The Nature Godlikes head is too big. It does not look like plastic but the face is lacking skin textures and details. The Horns could use some work to look more like in the portraits. The ears should look much more like Orlan ears for the Nature Godlike, instead of human ears. The eyes should look more like human eyes as also shown in the portraits, being the Godlike race closest to human appearance (according to the portraits). The body, when taking off the clothes, has too many vines and no other plants / fungi. The head could use some flowers.

Feel it should have been the other way around, they should have made new portraits for some of the new godlike faces. Especially since some of the old godlike portraits from PoE 1 looked weird and not even in the same style as the other portraits in the game. Off the top of my head, the female nature godlike portraits, but maybe a few others.

I mentioned it in the initial impressions thread, but

look, it's not like I have a thing about eyebrows or anything, but

c'mon, look at the default meadow folk. That's not right, man! That's not right! A lot of characters - especially for the women - can't change their eyebrow colour, they just throw a little bit of blonde or red or whatever into the big mass of unchanging black. Male dwarves and elves are good there, at least.

That business aside, I really like the dwarves, orlans, and pale elves. I like the coastal aumaua look better than the island, but I've never particularly cared for the look of island aumaua in general. Hair selection is all-around pretty impressive. Some of the "lighter" beards really don't work though, they clip into the cheeks and neck in really awkward and patchy ways, especially on dwarves. The female nature godlike has texture issues.

Edited by Tamerlane
jcod0.png

I agree that eyebrows should always match hair color. It always looks unnatural to me when they do not; I doubt adventurers in ancient times dyed their hair (a scenario in which eyebrows wouldn’t match.)

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

I agree that eyebrows should always match hair color. It always looks unnatural to me when they do not; I doubt adventurers in ancient times dyed their hair (a scenario in which eyebrows wouldn’t match.)

Actually, blond haired people can naturally have darker eyebrows, beards and body hair.

Anyway, I can't say that I disliked any of the models, they sure look more hi-res and detailed compared to POE1. And I liked all the new hair options. However, I don't know whether we'll ever see the models in the game so up close as in the character creator. If we don't then it's all fine, they're good enough when they're zoomed out, can't make out the details anyway. If we do then I think some more polish is required, especially when it comes to heads:

-Fire godlike's fire hair effect looks bad.

-No options for eye color.

-Need more head options.

Also, I think we need more poses, those are fun and are great new addition to character creation.

Edited by Aramintai

-No options for eye color.

-Need more head options.

Seconded.

I haven't perused other models enough to judge them, but it would help to have the option to change eyebrow color too. This way we can have it match or mismatch to our liking instead of being forced to stick to a standard.

• Like 1

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

The humans look amazing and the elves and Orlans look pretty good too. 

Sure the godlike do look a bit plasticy but it's still a massive step up from the last game and I assume there are more heads to come I do agree that some colour customisation for them would be nice. It would be great to have at least one portrait that looks like each head as well, coming up with new designs is cool but if they aren't going to add portraits for them I'd rather they'd have just design the heads to look like the portraits that already exist. 

I don't agree that the Aumaua look worse but I did notice that I can't match the marking colours from some of the portraits with the colours they give u in the cc. 

For the most part this is a massive improvement from the last game, though I was/am hoping they give us a similar amount of additional portraits as there were in the first game. 

I hope they concentrate their resources on anything, anything other than an eye colour shader. The graphics look gorgeous. You guys know there is already a huge number of portraits you can find online and import into the game, right?

I love the new godlike looks, personally.

Edited by cheesevillain

I hope they concentrate their resources on anything, anything other than an eye colour shader. The graphics look gorgeous. You guys know there is already a huge number of portraits you can find online and import into the game, right?

Of course but not many of them are at all similar to the art style of the in game portraits and you have to create a watercolour version of the portrait as well if you want it to match the others in the game. Doesn't mean i'm not ever going to use custom ones, I did a couple of times for POE but if there are a lot more varied options maybe I won't feel the need. Oh and of course all this is even harder for the non humanoid races as they are unique. If they don't create many more it's not the end of the world but I hope they will, i'm also considering making some myself but it would take me a lot of time and effort to do it.  :p

Yeah...you can import literally any digital picture into the game, from anywhere. I could have my portrait be a Geico logo if I really wanted. I don't think that really counts for anything.

You guys know there is already a huge number of portraits you can find online and import into the game, right?

True, but as somebody else pointed out, they are not in the same art style as the other portraits in the game. For that reason, as far as I'm concerned they may as well not exist; there's no way I'm having my main stick out like a sore thumb for using a portrait that differs wildly in style from every other. Plus there's the watercolor version to account for—appreciate it might be relatively easy to pull off for some people, but it certainly isn't for many others.

As for the eye-color shader, I trust the devs' ability to prioritize. It's a cool-to-have; if it takes long to implement, it should be ditched. I think it's fair for people to throw in ideas like this one, though. Feedback is the entire purpose of the beta.

• Like 1

You guys know there is already a huge number of portraits you can find online and import into the game, right?

True, but as somebody else pointed out, they are not in the same art style as the other portraits in the game.

I meant that there are collections of portraits collected specifically by fans of the game, that are fairly similar to the John Singer Sargent style portraits already in the game.

Edited by cheesevillain