Magic in the Touch vs Flask of Force

Achilles

Question

5 answers to this question

I am a little bit confused as to what was going on in the picture. The situation looks like a normal check after you use the Flask of Force to help during the combat. Vermillion rhomboid in the to-be-discarded pile looks like Seoni's burn power (Spell trait, 1d12+1d6+x).

So let me guess - you encountered a monster, burned the rhomboid for fireball, added Flask of Force and now you are asked to discard / bury the card. Everything in that scenario is correct...

If you think it should be Discard (or maybe bury, I don't remember) / Recharge as in Flask of Fire, read the text. The first time I used Flask of Frost, I was surprised by the choice of Discard (after a check - or automatically if you have the Seoni's 'auto-recharge Magic items' power) or Bury. But it's in the text.

Edit: red part :)

Edit 2: I just realized that the Seoni's power is about recharging (checked the latest RotR hero sheets), but it allows her to automatically succeed in the check to discard the Flask of Frost / Flask of Force / whatever else. It is thematically correct, but is probably against the rules as written in the tabletop version ;)

Edited by Jenceslav

Other cards with Arcane trait correctly Recharge. This Flask does not.

Rhomboid is carry over of another bug (Lini discarded it and the UI never cleared it)

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

On the card, the relevant sentence is "or you may attempt an Arcane 13 check to discard it instead". There is no mention of recharge on the Flask of Force (and Flask of Frost + maybe several other 'low-end' flasks - the 'high-end' flasks like Flask of Fire mention recharge instead).

Therefore, it cannot be recharged by any ability. Seoni may bury it, or (after successful Arcane 13 check) discard it. However, the game probably has a bug related to this (mentioned above), due to which Seoni is able to succeed automatically (with her upgraded recharge power) in the check. Her ability in tabletop says "you may automatically succeed at your check to recharge ...", but this is not a check to recharge, even though the object is an item with Arcane trait.

Can somebody verify the wording in the app for Seoni's power? I currently don't have my tablet with me.

Your recollection of the wording is correct. And upon closer examination, you're right that several of the mid-level Arcane items don't have the Recharge option. Odd that the game would exclude some but not others.

Thanks for your help.

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

Your recollection of the wording is correct. And upon closer examination, you're right that several of the mid-level Arcane items don't have the Recharge option. Odd that the game would exclude some but not others.

Thanks for your help.

That's only because I was like "Flask of Frost? Great! Seoni will like it. ... Later: No recharge?! What? <reads the text> ... Ah, that's a pity. OK, Flask of Frost, you stay home."

I believe the developers created the Orbs and Flasks from scratch and tried to balance their usefulness against the deck number. That is why the later Flasks are bury/recharge, whereas the weaker flasks are bury/discard.