What is your game of the year for 2017?

SonicMage117

I would have said Shadow Tactics - Blades of the Shogun, but it was released on early december last year.

Sorry, the backlog is still huge ;(

That game was my GotY 2016.  Brilliantly executed spiritual successor to Commandos.

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

It wasn't terrible but it wasn't exactly great either. I may not be the right audience for it as I've never been able to push through Planescape.

It's more of a mixed bag when it comes to writing/storytelling and the combat is just awful. Now I managed to beat Planescape as a Mage but good god...the only way I could play Torment:ToN(for a mere 10-15 hours before I gave up) was with a silver-tongued character. The few times I tried to engage in combat I just got my ass handed down to me.

The Surge.

Gotta get my hands on that game sooner than later.

Edited by Katphood

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

• 2 weeks later...

Stellaris. Hands down. I spend more hours playing that than anything else. Except maybe chess.

Isn't Stellaris from last year? Either way, yeah it's easy to sink lots of time in that game.

Well if we're disregarding release date, CIv 4 is my GOTY then :lol:
  • Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Stellaris. Hands down. I spend more hours playing that than anything else. Except maybe chess.

Isn't Stellaris from last year? Either way, yeah it's easy to sink lots of time in that game.
Well if we're disregarding release date, CIv 4 is my GOTY then :lol:

Brutal Legend 2017 GOTY.

• Like 3

I've really been enjoying the games I've played on the Switch so far - Breath of The Wild and Super Mario Odyssey really stood out for me - but honestly my favourite game I've played this year has to be Slime Rancher. It came out of early access in August, so it counts! I haven't really played a lot of new PC games this year though, being on Linux day-to-day. I have managed to (re)discover some great older games and indie titles this year, which has been great. Speaking of the, recent gog sale has really cleared me out, really looking forward to replaying some Infinity Engine games this time of the "enhanced" variety.

NieR Automata.

2017 was a decent year, with a sour drop from some big companies like EA. However EA is horrible at least since 2012, so at least you should not be suprised by now. Also Destiny 2 was a poor mans full price Warframe, but againt big companies doing mediocrate games is normal.

List of Awesome: Switch, Zelda Breath of the Wild, Mario Odyssey, Horizon Zero Dawn, NieR Automata, NioH NioH Nioh, Torment, Persona 5, Prey, Divinity Orignal Sin 2, Elex, even Assasin Origins, Wolfenstein New Colosus, Player Unknown battleground,

+ more, even more hip games. (hellblade and such)

Not a bad year.

I forgot about Torment. Still, I think I liked Andromeda more.

I could never get around to finishing the new Torment game.  I don't know what it was, but at some point it just lost my attention.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I definitely gotta give it to Resident Evil 7. I'm from the south and have family from Louisiana and BOY did the voice actors nail that southern twang (except Zoe, Zoe's VA didn't what part of America she came from). I'm not a resident evil fengirl, never played any of the previous ones, and I still never felt lost or out of the loop when it came to lore. 

*Thinks about the opening dinner table scene* Mhmmm...chitlins...

I definitely gotta give it to Resident Evil 7. I'm from the south and have family from Louisiana and BOY did the voice actors nail that southern twang (except Zoe, Zoe's VA didn't what part of America she came from). I'm not a resident evil fengirl, never played any of the previous ones, and I still never felt lost or out of the loop when it came to lore.

If you liked the gameplay and exploration, do give the remaster of the original Resident Evil a go too, I only got to play it after finishing RE7 and loved it to bits regardless.

I could never get around to finishing the new Torment game.  I don't know what it was, but at some point it just lost my attention.

Maybe it was the god-awful combat. At any rate, I started that game twice but couldn't bother to finish it.

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

I felt like that on my first playthrough but after starting a second one (and the game getting a few more patches) I went through the whole thing. I think there were some interesting later game mechanic, story devices that should have been introduced earlier on.

Edit: Combat becomes very easy once you get past a certain level and min max your skills. You just have to build your party members to serve dedicated roles.

Edited by Orogun01
  • Like 2
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif