Survival Guide Part 1

Gorth

Things worth knowing about trolls.

1. Chapter 1 - The Nature of Trolls
  2. Chapter 2 - Troll territories
  3. Chapter 3 - What to do if facing a troll
  4. Appendix A

Chapter 1 - The Nature of Trolls

Trolls are beasts, that will jump other posters with (often personal) offending posts. The posts themselves usually have little relevance to the topic. The troll will bitch and moan and generally try it's best to ruin fun for others, by making as much of a nuisance of itself as it can.

The commonly accepted theory is, that trolls for various real life (or lack of a real life) are attention seekers. Can be either generally bored or obsessive compulsive in their desire to make other posters lives miserable.

Chapter 2 - Troll territories

Trolls are often few and far between. It's just that, like the distant howl of a wolf indicates the presence of a wolf, they are more noisy than actually present. Most boards with a certain minimum number of members, seems to attract one or more trolls. Since, however, that the number of trolls doesn't grow proportionally with the number of posters, it is speculated that trolls are highly territorial and doesn't tolerate the presence of other trolls very well. It is not know whether trolls are cannibals or not.

Chapter 3 - What to do if facing a troll

Remember, that attention is one of the trolls primary motivations. Try ignoring it at first. If you starve it of attention, it might move on to other hunting grounds. Never try to strike back at a troll. If you tear it apart, all the parts will just regenerate and your problem is bigger than it was before. Somebody tried suggesting that you might offer it fish to eat. Perhaps a change of diet might redirect its attention. If the troll is too starved and won't go away, you might have to PM a mod and suggest that the troll population gets regulated.

Appendix A

Remember that a troll is all sound, it has no teeth. Therefore it should never be taken seriously, no matter how much chest thumping and yelling it does.

:)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I found a good way to deal with trolls is to only reply when they're not around, so that there is time for other people to join in as well, before they get back, though a good troll has tecniques for lurking, and then jumping out of the shadows just after their target has posted

forumlogo.jpg

Them sneaky trolls... :ph34r:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Nice thread! It seems you guys try to avoid what happened with a certain troll named "ADMHYDROGENSUCKS" (or something like that)... He was really annoying but didn't last long... :)

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

Nice thread! It seems you guys try to avoid what happened with a certain troll named "ADMHYDROGENSUCKS" (or something like that)... He was really annoying but didn't last long...  ;)

He wasn't even a troll... :)

He was just pathetic...

It was annoying because my pm inbox is stuffed up thanks to him, he sent me a couple pms, then his account got deleted, and it still says they're in there when they aren't

:p What did he tell you in his pms? Only stupid things I guess...

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

I found a good way to deal with trolls is to only reply when they're not around, so that there is time for other people to join in as well, before they get back, though a good troll has tecniques for lurking, and then jumping out of the shadows just after their target has posted

Ooh...risky. :p

What happens if can't rally enough support in time? The cunning troll could then push you to the point of no return... :p

manthing2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...