Empower - Does it have the oomph it needs?

The once per rest Empower ability, well I have tried it now, especially with casters, and let me just say that +1 level as a caster didn't do much to help casters where they sit right now. If most spells are eligible for the name change "Fizzle", then Empower should be called "Somewhat of a Fizzle".

Someone suggested it should be +3 in order to make a mark, but I'm not sure that's even near enough.

How about Empower being a selectable state (if we take spells as an example), where you during your latest rest can tag a few of the spells and then you pick one of them. Then you get a higher level version of it (not just +3 levels), but Minoletta's Minor Missiles becomes Minoletta's Concussive Missiles, e.g.. The game will show you what the upgrade will be.

Edited by IndiraLightfoot

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

In my experience, it does have the oomph it needs. I got destroyed by an Engwithan saint when I first encountered it. When I reloaded, I opened the fight with two empowered Minoletta's Concussive Missiles, and he was killed immediately. It also made Mule-kick land pretty much every time for the mercenary fighter.

Edited by Logos

"Of all the kids in The Breakfast Club, Ally Sheedy would be the first one to sense Cthulhu's coming." -Patton Oswalt 

In my experience, it does have the oomph it needs. I got destroyed by an Engwithan saint when I first encountered it. When I reloaded, I opened the fight with two empowered Minoletta's Concussive Missiles, and he was killed immediately. It also made Mule-kick land pretty much every time for the mercenary fighter.

Still, it's just one Mulekick per rest or one MCM per rest. For such an ability, I'd love see something like a Round Mule Kick, knocking three enemies down, or like I said, a similar spell, but higher level, getting cast only this once.

Edited by IndiraLightfoot

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

It pretty much insta-casts Priest heal spells, if any guy is dangerously low on health.

Heh, in Deadfire all healing is instant, and the 1st lvl Priest spell does wonder now as it is. Empower just makes +1 lvl.