Anybody feels like this is a console game instead of a pc game?

Dr <3

I wouldn't say that. Too much info around mechanics to process - too much looking at the combat log. However PoE 1 feels more "desktopish". Maybe it's the looks, maybe the limited/merged talents+abilities, don't know.

• Like 2

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

It isn't Skyrim with a Q cast button.  Nor is it DA:  I with janky top down controls obviously designed with controllers in mind.  So, no, it isn't a console game. 

Excuse me ?

(Well no, actually, excuse yourself)

DA:O was the only DA worth playing o_O

The 2 others were retarded hack'n'slashes...

</derail>

i wouldn't say more console but it feels a lot more like Tyranny which isnt a good thing lol

This, 200%.

Tyranny's auto-heal-after-fights made it feel more like a hack and slash than anything else, with a bit of RP sprinkled on top.

Loved Tyranny, hated its mechanics.

• Like 1

It isn't Skyrim with a Q cast button. Nor is it DA: I with janky top down controls obviously designed with controllers in mind. So, no, it isn't a console game.

Excuse me ?

</derail>

Sorry, but I don't think you understood what I was saying. So, excuse "you" would be correct.

Skyrim's Q system was a control design that was built for controllers. Hit Q, select ability to equip, press trigger to fire.

DAI's top down controls didn't use the mouse. So, it was designed for controllers again.

They were console trash.

This game is mouse driven, with mouse based UI, and so on. And as such it isn't a Console game.

I liked a lot of things about Tyranny, but honestly I've *never* been a fan of "select from your skill tree" leveling. It feels more narrow and controlled; it's one aspect that seems to have been brought over from Tyranny that disappoints me.

• Like 2

Your opinion in the regard

Shouldn't you first state you opinion? Why do you think it feels like a console game? Else it seems like a provocative post ;)

It is faster, more streamlined, less clean and you lose some freedom around ( like the ability to attack anything and anyone, even in towns, small things that probably you will never do, but i like to be able tu do if i like)

It is faster, more streamlined, less clean and you lose some freedom around ( like the ability to attack anything and anyone, even in towns, small things that probably you will never do, but i like to be able tu do if i like)

One of the first things I did as a Shattered Pillar/Soul Blade was slap around my party members to see if I could generate focus/wounds outside of combat (I couldn't, unfortunately) and I can confirm that you can kill random villagers and Chieftan Ruanu, at least.

• Like 1

Shouldn't you first state you opinion? Why do you think it feels like a console game? Else it seems like a provocative post ;)

These doesn't qualify one as a console game though. Just as a faster, streamlined and less free game :p

• Like 1

It isn't Skyrim with a Q cast button. Nor is it DA: I with janky top down controls obviously designed with controllers in mind. So, no, it isn't a console game.

Excuse me ?

</derail>

Sorry, but I don't think you understood what I was saying. So, excuse "you" would be correct.

Skyrim's Q system was a control design that was built for controllers. Hit Q, select ability to equip, press trigger to fire.

DAI's top down controls didn't use the mouse. So, it was designed for controllers again.

They were console trash.

This game is mouse driven, with mouse based UI, and so on. And as such it isn't a Console game.

Mistook your DA:I for DA:one ;)

DA:I sucks, we're good :)

• Like 1

I liked a lot of things about Tyranny, but honestly I've *never* been a fan of "select from your skill tree" leveling. It feels more narrow and controlled; it's one aspect that seems to have been brought over from Tyranny that disappoints me.

Talents that depend on each other (ie, dirty fighting -> vicious fighting) *are* a tree.

They're just not represented as such in POE, but you're still looking at a tree ;)

Matter of fact, you could take POE's talents and slap them into that tree interface of POE2's .

• Like 2

Talents that depend on each other (ie, dirty fighting -> vicious fighting) *are* a tree.

They're just not represented as such in POE, but you're still looking at a tree ;)

Matter of fact, you could take POE's talents and slap them into that tree interface of POE2's .

With the exception of a *whole mess* of talents that are general to anybody to take and not specific to any class tree. That's the problem; each class has their tree, and you can take what's in that tree and *only* what's in that tree. You get these options that lead to these types of builds; that's all you get. You get this tree...just this tree. You can put points here in this tree or there in this tree; it's all in this tree and only in this tree.

You should be able to attack almost everyone in the game afaik. I don't think there's anyone in the beta that you can't kill. 

• Like 6

Follow me on twitter - @adam_brennecke

You should be able to attack almost everyone in the game afaik. I don't think there's anyone in the beta that you can't kill. 

I had to set the button in the control options as it wasnt mapped to anything so i could get the attack icon and murder people.

• Like 1

With the exception of a *whole mess* of talents that are general to anybody to take and not specific to any class tree. That's the problem; each class has their tree, and you can take what's in that tree and *only* what's in that tree. You get these options that lead to these types of builds; that's all you get. You get this tree...just this tree. You can put points here in this tree or there in this tree; it's all in this tree and only in this tree.

3 things happened to POE1 general talents:

- They were moved to weapon proficiency and are still available to all

- They were removed either because the mechanic doesn't work in POE2 or isn't needed anymore (cross-class talents) or balance reasons (the devs wanted to reduce the amount of +% damage or accuracy increase passives for example)

- They were moved to a specific classes, usually one that would make use of it. These could probably be cleaned up, but there is like 1 or 2 per classes (that have passives).

90% of the things you see in the "trees" are class specific features from POE1 and they could be displayed exactly the same way in the previous game. The "general talents" are the weapon proficiencies and aren't displayed there.

• Like 1

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

Yeah the game doesn't seem powerful and state of the art like you'd see on a PC these days, seems to be dumbed down so it can be ported to console, but who knows.

Baldursgate series had options for characters, but if you go more towards NWN/NWN2 those were much more bespoke systems for character design. You could just do more, and create many more interesting builds. PoEII  seems to not have as many options.

Like spells are nothing more then abilities.  Thats my main pet peeve. Finding and buying good spells, and managing your spell book, and having a wizard class/school all was part of the fun in dungeons and dragons. it seems to be missing completely from Pillars of Eternity franchise which detracts away from much of the nostalgia and fun.

Obsidian wrote:

​"those scummy backers, we're going to screw them over by giving them their game on the release date. That'll show those bastards!" 

Now we know what's going on...

The weapon proficiencies are now gated behind specific levels or classes, as far as I know. I don't think there's a way in this game for any class to pick any weapon proficiency at any level, unlike in PoE 1. As far as I can tell you're much more solidly locked in to weapon choice.

I'm not exactly the first person to say that all the classes in this beta seem very limited and have few options. It's literally exactly like I said; you get this skill tree that leads to this specific set of possible builds and that's it. All the choices you want--as long as it's these choices.

PoE 1 had class ability trees, but it also had a *lot* of options that weren't limited to your class tree. This game has *only* your class tree. That's it. It feels very much like the developers are strictly controlling what you can do and how you can do it by designating what each class can do within a very limited frame work. Then multiclassing is applied on top of that limited framework; it expands it by giving you an additional framework to work with, but you're still limited within the framework for each class that's been laid out for you to work in.

You can't really customize your character beyond the specific deal that they've worked out for what that character type can do. A fighter has this set of things--those are *ALL* a fighter will be able to do. Nobody is ever going to be playing a fighter that is different from the four or five types of fighters that can be built through that tree. Subclasses alter the way those fighters play to some extent, but those are dictated by the developers not created by you--it's top-down control, not user-generated customization.

The whole system feels much more centrally planned and orchestrated, and much less up to player choice.

• Like 4