SPOILER - map of the sail-able area

dam

I'd like to know what percentage of the entire world map this beta map covers.

"You're a fool if you believe I would trust your benevolence. Step aside and you and your lackeys will be unhurt."

Baldur's Gate portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale 2 portraits for Pillars of Eternity

[slap Aloth]

Oh, so we're using a placeholder ship then? I suppose that makes sense. Can't wait to jump into the beta, my computer is in repair until the 22nd at least.

We don't know if it'll exist in the full game. I'd imagine it covers a pretty small percentage of the complete map.

Edited by smjjames

Oh, so we're using a placeholder ship then? I suppose that makes sense. Can't wait to jump into the beta, my computer is in repair until the 22nd at least.

We don't know if it'll exist in the full game. I'd imagine it covers a pretty small percentage of the complete map.

We know. It's a side quest area, like Dyrford in PoEt 1.

"You're a fool if you believe I would trust your benevolence. Step aside and you and your lackeys will be unhurt."

Baldur's Gate portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale 2 portraits for Pillars of Eternity

[slap Aloth]

We know. It's a side quest area, like Dyrford in PoEt 1.

Oh okay, cool, I didn't know that anyhow.

Still wonder as well how much of a percentage of the world map it takes up.

By the way, wouldn't it be neat if our movements on the islands we disembark on was traced with a red meandering perforated line, like on pirate-y treasure maps? :)

Perhaps this could even be drawn permanently, so that you can see exactly where you went.

Steering my ship this way really feels like Sid Meier's Pirates and Civilization. I absolutely adore it. I just feel that the island exploration needs a bit more love somehow.

Edited by IndiraLightfoot

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I wouldn't worry about the size of the world map. The designers got that covered. The game is huge. 

Yeah you wanna stop already ?

We're professional backers here, we're shooting for an AAA-grade product.

We're talking tons of ****ty paid DLCs (please make one to add 3-4 hats to the game, only $19, worth, totally worth, my family can cufking starve I'm buying it), 8-10 hours gameplay time (this is an upper limit, FIY), cinematics that ate 40% of the game's budget, real-life-motion-capture-whatever-they-call-it-these-days, bugs galore... the works.

Oh and 11.3 sound effects (who wants 5.1 anyway ?), these are an absolute must, we're getting AAA+ you know.

Don't ruin our game with your QA, or long gameplay, or replayability, or your misguided conception that games were so much better back in the days.

We want a shi- AAA game and we want it nao.

Lolwut your sarcasm dam.

@Adam: Awesome. :)

The practice bro, the practice.

I've hit 500+ games in my steam lib, thinking at that point I got more indies than AAAs, and god am I glad for that.

PS: granted, I must have played like 20% of those but hey, the Sales... just like women with shoes and bags...

PPS: dear women and/or males who swapped sex, that wasn't meant in a misogynist way

There's a marker for latitude/longitude, or an equivalent. If this is the same lat/long system that we use on our planet, then this portion of the map, which iirc goes from something like 10 degrees north, to 30 degrees south. In the real world, that's very roughly going from the Panama Canal (9 north) to Buenos Aires (34 south).

I have a faint hope that this is not supposed to be the case.

There's a marker for latitude/longitude, or an equivalent. If this is the same lat/long system that we use on our planet, then this portion of the map, which iirc goes from something like 10 degrees north, to 30 degrees south. In the real world, that's very roughly going from the Panama Canal (9 north) to Buenos Aires (34 south).

That's a backer beta bug.  That range is supposed to correspond to the full map, not the backer beta map.

(There's a LOT of unsubstantiated guesswork in this post)

Okay, I checked, and the map goes from 9 degrees north to 39 degrees south, and from 30 degrees East to 69 degrees East. If Eora matches Earth in size, then we're talking an area 5400 km long, and 4300 wide. The area is 22 million square km. For context, the land area of South America is 17 million square km, and Africa is 30. This is a BIG area!

So, I'm a little uneasy with ships & travel times, so take it is on me. It takes our little ship 64 hours to travel from the western edge to the eastern edge on the map of ours. If our boat is, say, going continuously an unrealistically fast pace 9 knots, then it passes over a distance of 1200 km. That would make this map about 1/13th of the total world map. Our travel speed on our stout-looking ship is probably not that fast, and the total map is therefore probably larger than that too.

Edited by cheesevillain

For this little slice if the Deadfire? Yeah, that can't be right.

That's a backer beta bug.  That range is supposed to correspond to the full map, not the backer beta map.

Oh, that makes sense.