Additions to the new Rest System

Tartantyco

I really like the changes made to the new rest system, as it removes an isolated economic ecosystem from the game and instead makes use of previously under- or unused resources. However, I think it is a little sparse and could do with some additions. Right now, you simply assign a single food resource to your individual part members, and this provides them with a stat bonus and cures any injuries. What I would like to see is:

Increase the number of slots

It's currently just one slot per party member, but I think this should be increased to something like three or five.

Make more consumables usable

You can currently just use food for the rest stage. I think making things like potions and certain ingredients usable would make them more valuable and relevant.

Give different bonuses based on the quantity and combination of consumables

Instead of the current "You ate a fish, get +5 health".

You could then make it so that the more slots you fill, the more powerful the bonuses are. This would make it so you'd have to consider the option of having strong bonuses or having enough remaining resources to heal injuries if your party members get knocked out. It would also let players make use of all the things they may not otherwise use. There's no shortage of potions that I simply sell for money because their effects aren't relevant or too situational. If I could get other or weaker effects over an extended period by using them while resting, that would be helpful. Finally, it also acts as a money sink. If you want to keep your party well-buffed, you need to put a lot of money into these resources.

"You're a fool if you believe I would trust your benevolence. Step aside and you and your lackeys will be unhurt."

Baldur's Gate portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale 2 portraits for Pillars of Eternity

[slap Aloth]

It's currently just one slot per party member, but I think this should be increased to something like three or five.

Meals is what you want, they will grant multiple bonuses for one slot, but we can't craft them in the beta yet and they are rare outside of crafting from what I understood.

• Like 1

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

Meals is what you want, they will grant multiple bonuses for one slot, but we can't craft them in the beta yet and they are rare outside of crafting from what I understood.

That's a really good point. Until crafting is introduced, I think we should be careful about passing judgment on this subject too quickly.

But the cooking aspect will not make use of other consumables that remain unused in the game. It's about trying to avoid the issue where you just have a ton of stuff that you have no use for and consequently end up a gabillionaire.

"You're a fool if you believe I would trust your benevolence. Step aside and you and your lackeys will be unhurt."

Baldur's Gate portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale 2 portraits for Pillars of Eternity

[slap Aloth]